any recommendations for a new bass rod?

looking to buy a new bass rod, wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

ill be throwing mostly 7" senkos with it (weightless)

it will be paired up with a quantum smoke baitcaster.

• 7ft give or take
  • under $150 preferably
  • split/full grip doesnt matter
  • Not micro guides

Any thoughts? Thanks

Stick with Shimano, a Compre or Crucial are nice rods and you won`t have to ship it to another country to get service.

Leason learned from another popular rod company(on this site for some reason) sure we`ll replace your rod pay for 40 bucks for shipping x 2 plus a 25 dollar service fee....blah blah in then end it was cheaper and easier to throw the piece of crap in the trash!

I will never buy another rod that is not made by Shimano!!!

I would suggest the Dobyns Savvy 733 as well. The rod is quite nice and is pretty sensitive for that price of rod. If you can find a used one, a champion 733 or a dx744 would be amazing but you may have an issue finding one of those in your budget.

As for warranty, if the store carries the rod and you break it, hand over the 60 or so bucks and they hand you a new one no questions asked. I slammed a tip in the rod locker, told the owner of the store what I did and his exact words were, "You wouldn't be getting a new rod out of shimano..." If you believe it broke because of manufacturing defects, it works a little different but I don't think just because of their customer service, I continue to buy these.

Adam

I thought he said limited to 150? The crucials are on sale at fishing world for about 120. If I was getting a crucial for a weightless worm rod it would be a 7'2" M XF. will also make a good drop shot rod. the MH Fast is also a good option for a worm rod if you fish weeds.

If you are going into the 170-220 range I would take a look at the G.Loomis GL2 series. I have a GL2 Drop shot rod and I love it.

Fishing World in Hamilton carries Dobyns. To be honest I wouldn't buy a Savvy series for jig and worms. I find the Shimano Crucial more sensitive, which is on sale at Fishing World, which btw you could get a price match at BPS. Show them the online ad from Fishing World or if you frequent a local tackle shop and have a good relation, I'm sure they will match it. At that price, it's an even better prive. In my opinion if you want to buy a bottom contact rod from Dobyns you need to at least go Champion. The Savvy just seems dead in my hands. Another rod to look at would be a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth (although it isn't a 7' it's 6'9") or take a look at the Fenwick Aetos, you can buy them at Sail 99.99 and 149.99). They fish better than the price, not going to say they are GLXs or Champion Extreme, but both rods are built well and balances well with a lot of reels. In my opinion the Elite Tech fishes equally to rods in the 199 range and the Aetos in the 200-300 range.

Oh just realized you are using it for Senkos, since it is a slack line presentation, you should be fine with the Savvy.

Edited by wkimwes

IMO

I would look for a used Shimano Cumara 7ft - 2 in

I have one and use it for weightless wacky, incredible rod if you can find used.

Light, super strong and casts exceptional.

IMO the new Crucials are not what they used to be according to guys on tackle tour.

does anybody have the link to the crucial sale at fishing world? i checked the site, but i dont see it at that price.

Thanks

Looks like they aren't on sale anymore, they just were yesterday. That sucks! Sorry man.

OH I did get an email from Sail though,

You're invited to our Storewide Summer Event to benefit from great deals for all your outdoor adventure needs. It will be held exclusively in all four GTA store locations.

June 19th to 23rd, 2013,

MINIMUM
15% OFF!*
EVERYTHING ELSE AT
REGULAR PRICE IN-STORE.
(EXCLUDES CANADA GOOSE, FIREARMS, CROSSBOWS & AMMUNITION)
Edited by wkimwes

I bought a new crucial last year, feels weird... there are better rods out there. I'd give Bills Bait and tackle a call and see what they have if you're in the area. They'll order in anything and I'm sure they'll give you a great price.

Go with a loomis GL2 I have 2 of them and about a dozen crucials for the money they are awesome !!! And shimano owns G Loomis now anyways !!!! Can't go wrong great warranty and good product and tons of sizes and tip styles xtra fast whatever you need I use crucials for a lot of my bass and walleye set-ups