Does any one dye your fishing hook?

maybo

Want to replace many of my front trebles on my cranks with red ones but do not want to buy the hooks and am hoping I can dye or paint them red instead. Any alternatives to buying new red hooks? How would a red permananet marker work, red nail polish, blade dip dye,,,,has anyone tried any of these alternatives,,,,if so how has the color held up on the hook?

I've painted jig heads and home made panfishing ice jigs with nail polish + clear coat. Worked great and stands up quite well. Not sure how it would do on a hook, but no harm in trying (as long as you don't cover the points). Could always try a red piece of plastic, fur, feather or bead instead too.

The paint will cause the barb on the hook to be ineffective. You can try using a red sharpie it is thin enough it would not affect the hook do it's job. Personally I would add a slash of red to the lure before I would tint the hooks.

Art

All I know is I painted the front hook on my favourite Jitterbug red with nail polish once. I left the barbs exposed and painted the rest so as not to dull it.

Now it has a red, sharp hook. Oh , and it hasn't caught a fish ever since.

I always take the red hooks off baits that come with them and replace with black. I don't know why, guess it's a confidence thing and I just don't like the look of them haha. Don't think it makes a difference 99% of the time.