Where to take a young lad fishing?

motv8tr

Hey folks, not looking for secret spots or anything like that...just a place to take a 9yr old who's only fished once before and loved it...sadly no one has taken him since...I would like to change that...he is in Oshawa so some where not too far away I think would be great...other wise I'll see if I can get him up to Pigeon Lake one day...

Thanks

Maureen

Maureen, if all you want are small panfish, then try Heber Down Conservation area in Whitby. There is a little pond there stocked with sunfish, bullhead and some years small rainbow trout. If you are interested I will pm you more info.

9 year olds attention spans are about 5 minutes. I would suggest stocked ponds for a little guy to get him hooked. Many a kid has packed in fishing because they sure get bored quickly. I don't know of any pay and play ponds near you but it's your best bet. A conservation area would be good as well, as long as there are fish to be caught. Bring a ball with you.

Cliff, more info would be much appreciated.

As for attention span, this kid has it in spades, along with a couple of others I know...very patient as well, so that's not a concern, and ya, Panfish are what I am looking for.

I thought of Scugog, as that is where he first fished, but I was under the impression that for the most part all the shore spots were taken up by cottages and trailer parks and such....or marinas. Are there spots to fish from shore there? a public pier or something???

Thanks

Maureen

Maureen you can also take him down to the General Motors office building at the very end of went worth street and that's the Darlington marsh !!! Huge carp bullheads crappies perch and there is canoe rentals there too it's the marsh that's on Darlington provincial park !!!!! There's picnic tables and lots of walking trails and you can fish right there !!!!!!!!!

I thought of Scugog, as that is where he first fished, but I was under the impression that for the most part all the shore spots were taken up by cottages and trailer parks and such....or marinas. Are there spots to fish from shore there? a public pier or something???

Thanks

Maureen

you can fish off the pier in caesarera, but it can be packed, or if you head down the road, theres a ramp into view lake, not far from caesarera, where i see people fishing all the time for panfish, or you can join the causeway crew AKA white bucket brigade on the causeway

Anybody I know ???

On the long weekend in July (Sunday 07 July I believe) there is a kids tournament at the store at the east side of Nogies Creek bridge on hwy 36...Pirates Cove

Registration...June 22

Must have life jacket, fishing pole and water gun (for the fun water fight afterwards)

Food and drinks supplied and each kid gets a prize...

Sounds like a fun deal...

Edited by Beans

you can fish off the pier in caesarera, but it can be packed, or if you head down the road, theres a ramp into view lake, not far from caesarera, where i see people fishing all the time for panfish, or you can join the causeway crew AKA white bucket brigade on the causeway

I second the pier at Caesarea. I caught all species there before .. from musky, walleye, bass, to sunfish, crappie ...

http://www.google.com/maps/preview?hl=en#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d1716!2d-78.8333923!3d44.1610227!4m19!3m16!1m0!1m5!1s50+Pier+St%2C+Caesarea%2C+ON+L0B+1E0%2C+Canada!2s0x89d572a92a12319b%3A0xdcb1199a46967d63!3m2!3d44.1607606!4d-78.8331755!3m8!1m3!1d1716!2d-78.8333923!3d44.1610227!3m2!1i1680!2i921!4f13.1!7m1!3b1&fid=0

Ya Beans you know the lad, or at least his Grandfather who is your best bud Dave. Connor apparently went fishing once and that was it, and has been wanting to go since. i don't know if i can do the Sunday...not likely...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll see what I can work out and find one that works

Thinking of the GM office building or the Darlington site...will see what his mother says and go from there...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

maureen

For catfish- try frenchman bay on the bridge or the walkway not too far from parking lot and marina, using worm will guarantee you will get one, no catfish really too big down there except the carp. use corn for carp. Have to fish down below, fishing above the bridge is illegal. Water temp has been perfectly ideal to catch many species at this time of the year.

Try port hope for carp, using bottom with weighted slip sinkers or use small float as option, try worms or canned corn, chum the area first with corn or bread. they are there now. Due to heavy vegetation on some areas, try both technique . fish close to the factory wall, the bay of ganny river, past the marina. There are other fish including bass and silver bass as well.o

Port union also has catfish, mouth of rouge river also has catfish.

Add some kind of bell or sounding system on the rod, so your kid does not have to focus on the rod for too long, they can read a book,move about, or do something else, bring a small radio, etc...just hope a big carp does not take your bait, have to run and chase after your rod as added excitement

Edited by bassfighter