Need some help planning a trip

Big Cliff

Ok, after dreaming about it for many years, Sue and I are going to take a road trip to the East Coast. We have about 14 days and only a few must do priorities. St. John NB, Halifax NS, PEI, and Corner Brook NFLD. ( in any order) then Sea Food, Sea Food, Sea Food! in that order!

Here is where I need help;

Planning a route, places to stay, (clean but not expensive) best places to eat, (sea food but down home cooking) and what not to miss! (we aren't necessarly into the BIG tourist spots, just want to enjoy the scenery eat well and make a relaxing road trip out of it).

Knowing that many of the members here have their roots in the East Coast I'm thinking that you guys can help us plan the best possible trip we could ever hope to have.

All help and suggestions would be much appreciated!

truro ns see the tidal bore

fort George Halifax ns citadel hill

my aunts cabin humber river nfld lol

pei ur on ur own...red dirt and potatoes....lmao

places to stay...Cpl cases beer almost any east coast house....likely get free bed....fed and possible fishing trip...lmao

JUST KIDDING!!! ON LAST PART

For the route it depends on what you want to see first. Drive to st. John, then take the ferry to Digby. From there Halifax isn't too far. Then head north to Sydney to catch another ferry to NFLD. Then to PEI and home. Its a lot of places in a short time though....Of course you could do it all in reverse....

Take the whole two weeks and get to NFLD. If your heading up the northern peninsula, check out gros morne, then continue north to Lanse aux meadows. If you get that far north, I'll get my old man to take you in for a proper feed, and a boat ride. He loves entertaining ;)

Lanse aux meadows is a site to see, and the scennery going up the northern pen is like nowhere else.

S.

Much appreciated gang. Now how about some of those secret eating spots. You know what I am looking for; sea food down home style! I've promissed Sue the best lobster dinner she has ever had and I sure don't want to let her down. Looks like we will be leaving here July. 5 and back on the 19th. How do I find out where lobster season is going to be open during that period.

Heck, you'd need at least 2 weeks to see a good part of Nova Scotia. As for seafood, it is offered everywhere, just stay away from the tourist trap restaurants.

I've not been down since 2000, but these few stops serve up good food. Of course, you just need to ask a local where's they'd be going to.

Halifax

Five Fisherman

Red Stag

Lunenberg

Savvy Sailor

Dartmouth

John's Lunch for scallops and chips

Edited by bigugli

Can't believe you left Lunenberg off the list of stops.

One local fave is the lobster roll. Kinda like a lobster salad sandwich. Before the big highways were built, you travelled along the coastal highway, any time you can follow that route do so. Back then the old route was dotted with little roadside canteens, and those were the best places to get fresh lobster. Sadly, most are gone now.

Alma (Bay of Fundy)

We had plans to go to the island but ended up in Alma for 7 days.

AWSUM.....

We got to see the coast and small towns along with all the typical sight seeing stuff.

The whales were in and simply a moment I will never forget....

If you go off the beaten track it is simply AWSUM!!!

Don.

Cliff, if you want to go whale watching I highly recommend Tadoussac Quebec or if you are travelling the south shore of the St. Lawrence you can go out from Riviere-du-Loup. It was much better than whale watching on the Bay of Fundy. We stopped there in 2010 and saw 6 different species of whales. It is about 2 hours east of Quebec City.

Peggy's Cove.

St Stephens.

Fort Louisburg

You might be shocked at the NFLD ferry price. Gros Morne. Dildoe, St John's . try salmon fishing in the Humber River

Watch out for Lobster suppers. All the fresh local mussels you can eat and a lobster. Then finish with a home made piece of pie

Or buy a couple 1 1/2 lb lobsters from a fisherman in season or a dealer and boil em up yourself, add some garlic butter and you're smokin

Alma (Bay of Fundy)

We had plans to go to the island but ended up in Alma for 7 days.

AWSUM.....

We got to see the coast and small towns along with all the typical sight seeing stuff.

The whales were in and simply a moment I will never forget....

If you go off the beaten track it is simply AWSUM!!!

Don.

To add to this the people were great.

They told us about places that weren't on maps.

It was so cool to be some where on our own.