Product Reviews

Roy

Thanks to DanC and Aplumma (AKA Art), we have a new sub forum called

"Product Reviews". It can be found in "Extra Resources". The forum is

meant to be used as a place to post about an outdoor related product that

you have used that you believe goes above and beyond your expectations.

Please read the rules for this forum.

We will probably find some super products in there as time goes by.
Thanks again Dan and Art for putting this together.

no negative reviews allowed? Sometimes those are the most useful to read.

If you go to the forum you will see that Mike Borgers Neos Trekker Overshoe review has been moved there. These are the type of reviews that we'd like to see there. By all means, if you had also bought a pair of Neos, and thay fell apart after the third time you wore them, we'd like to hear about that too in a reply to that thread.

I did a review a while ago on my lowrance dsi you can move that thread if you like. What about a truck review as a tow vehicle? Too out of scope?

There's been lots of opinion threads about fishing/outdoor related products in the past Jedi. That's why we decided that the new review forum might be a good idea. We're not going to dig out all the older threads and move them to the new one. And yes, a truck as a tow vehicle would fit in nicely. I'm looking forward to your participation.

Think this a solid idea guys as there have recently been a couple businesses I almost feel guilty not giving a shout out for after receiving great customer service. It's rare I want to put that kind of thing into fishing discussion or a report so this will serve well.

Do have a couple questions that stem from the guidelines.

1. You may post a review and a link to the item as long as you have no monetary gain from it.

Is this even permitted anywhere in OFC forums? It happens here often.

2. This is not a forum for blasting a product that you do not like if you have a beef with the company or item take it to the company.

We can post negative comments about products that are first posted about in a positive way, yes?

3. This is not for posting reviews about fishing guides, lodges,or local services they will be deleted

Guides often post reports here in fishing discussion which ultimately promotes themselves, their services, and thus leading to gain. Anglers visiting lodges/outfitters do the same and also from time-to-time receive perks. Is it fine that everyone do the same in that forum? I'd almost think this new forum would be better suited to that, no?

Think this a solid idea guys as there have recently been a couple businesses I almost feel guilty not giving a shout out for after receiving great customer service. It's rare I want to put that kind of thing into fishing discussion or a report so this will serve well.

Do have a couple questions that stem from the guidelines.

1. You may post a review and a link to the item as long as you have no monetary gain from it.

Is this even permitted anywhere in OFC forums? It happens here often.

2. This is not a forum for blasting a product that you do not like if you have a beef with the company or item take it to the company.

We can post negative comments about products that are first posted about in a positive way, yes?

3. This is not for posting reviews about fishing guides, lodges,or local services they will be deleted

Guides often post reports here in fishing discussion which ultimately promotes themselves, their services, and thus leading to gain. Anglers visiting lodges/outfitters do the same and also from time-to-time receive perks. Is it fine that everyone do the same in that forum? I'd almost think this new forum would be better suited to that, no?

1. We used to take in advertising dollars for such posts. We have since stopped this practice. If anyone wants to blow their own horn in the main forum, go for it.

2. Yes. We'd rather have positive posts with possible rebuttals posted to the thread of the said product. This forum is all about introducing a new/great product that might be of interest to all, or most of us.

3. Back to point #1. Blow your own horn all you want in the main forum. Mike Borgers overshoe review is exactly what we want here. A positive review of something that perhaps nobody knew existed before. Or perhaps you did but wasn't sure about the quality of such product. That's what we're looking for here. I have a few items that I'll be posting about soon. Things that probably most were not aware of, and will be of interest to many here.

Coolio brutha Dan. We'll keep it rollin' as is and share the product reviews in this new forum.

Thanks Drew. I know that you tie your own, but I just bought a bunch of jig flies from Northwestern Ontarios best. Review and pics coming in a week or two. That's what we're looking for here.

I forgot to mention that the Rice brother's fishing trip was sponsored, in part, by a credit card, and the coffee money came from the change holder of the vehicle.

And your point is???

Thought the hand-tied done last year would be the cats arse Dan... Great color patterns, flash, saddle, buck... all looked great. In water they were a little long and slender and managed to catch only a few. Yet they're bulkier than Spros but not as bulky as Joes (or whatever your local ones are) and they're nothing like yours but all those catch fish well. Anyways, will be doing some serious retying on a rain day off soon.

Thought the hand-tied done last year would be the cats arse Dan... Great color patterns, flash, saddle, buck... all looked great. In water they were a little long and slender and managed to catch only a few. Yet they're bulkier than Spros but not as bulky as Joes (or whatever your local ones are) and they're nothing like yours but all those catch fish well. Anyways, will be doing some serious retying on a rain day off soon.

Had a great one on one with Joe a few days ago Drew. Great guy to spend a few hours with. His passion is second to none. Pretty sure I'm gonna take a few casts off the Rossport dock next week. The locals all tell me that things are pretty good there right now. I'm looking forward to it. By the way, if you're looking for the Rossport dock, it's on Dock Street.

I'm surprised that this came before a NF section! Have people been asking for this section the way people have asked for a NF section in the past?

I like the idea a lot as it allows people to choose what they view. I'm just surprised that this came first. Whenever a NF section is mentioned people always say that they come here for a mix of fishing post and NF posts, just seems odd that you would seperate product reviews of fishing related stuff but not segregate completely NF topics. Again I think it's a great idea!

I'm surprised that this came before a NF section! Have people been asking for this section the way people have asked for a NF section in the past?

I like the idea a lot as it allows people to choose what they view. I'm just surprised that this came first. Whenever a NF section is mentioned people always say that they come here for a mix of fishing post and NF posts, just seems odd that you would seperate product reviews of fishing related stuff but not segregate completely NF topics. Again I think it's a great idea!

On every board that does that, I never check the NF section and miss some great stuff. I think they made this so that you can easily search for reviews than going through the whole board.

On every board that does that, I never check the NF section and miss some great stuff. I think they made this so that you can easily search for reviews than going through the whole board.

You're wise way beyond your years, Christopher.

Thanks Drew. I know that you tie your own, but I just bought a bunch of jig flies from Northwestern Ontarios best. Review and pics coming in a week or two. That's what we're looking for here.

Dan, you might have to ship a few of those beauts down here :)

So after reading this my question would be.

Is this forum devoted to new products on the market?

Or new products that we personally have purchased regardless of how long the product has been on the market?

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

on another forum, they have everything separated into subforums, but on the front page they have a little widget that shows you new topics, and new posts, there's also a menu that will show you all new content since your last log in.

its just a way of keeping the forum cleaner and not so jumbled

but on the front page they have a little widget that shows you new topics, and new posts, there's also a menu that will show you all new content since your last log in.

its just a way of keeping the forum cleaner and not so jumbled

You can do that here too.