Windy Cold Weather Walleye

ccmtcanada

With my little one finally on the mend from having her tonsils out a few weeks ago, it was time that I got out fishing again! It had been so warm recently, images of summer weather fishing danced in my head as I looked forward to getting out there again. Will and I planned for Sunday to be the day. Figures that a cold front of epic proportions had to come through!!! From humidex values in the 30s mid week to morning lows of around 5C and highs of just 15C was just cruel!! As the date approached we also saw the winds were going to be horrible...so we had to pick the lake carefully.

After seeing pretty much every forecast saying 25km/h winds out of the north to northwest we had it narrowed down to a few areas. I arrived at Will's place around 545 this morning, the wind already gusting. I asked him where we were fishing and he said "You tell me". So off we went...along the 401 and up the 115. I was looking at the winds and lake maps and decided that maybe we should target walleye on Rice Lake. There are lots of islands to hide behind...and as long as it isn't a west wind, then we should find some calmer waters to fish.

We arrived around 715ish...and launched....lines in the water just before 8am. The fishfinder was making a TON of fish suspended all through the column...so when I saw Will put a jig and worm on, I decided to try throwing crankbaits for a bit. Neither of us had any action, so I put a jig on as well...pink plastic grub tipped with a worm. I did my best to keep the jig as close to bottom as possible...and because of the early weeds, it was easy to rip through them when caught up. One time, I felt tension...wasn't sure, so I set the hook anyways. The result was this guy! The first walleye of the day!

photo_zps7d763e23.jpg

We kept on hugging fairly close to shore and I picked up another one a little while later

photo2_zpscf2d0c24.jpg

Will was getting a little anxious about maybe not getting one, so he switched up and decided to drop shot for them! He picked up a few sunfish, but then finally in the afternoon he got on them!

photo3_zpsedeea65c.jpg

photo4_zps3cafdf8a.jpg

The day ended up with Will with 3 walleye...and me with 2. A few panfish and one nice out of season smallie.

The winds really began to howl around 3pm...so we decided to call it a day and we headed in. We were quite happy with our results considering the cold front and winds we had to battle to stay out of! Had another great day out there Will! Now...next month, lets go get some muskie or Lake O salmonids!!

Well considering the weather, you two did pretty darn good. We had plans for Simcoe today, but with the winds, we nixed that idea!

Thanks Joey! Our original plan was Simcoe for Whities and Lake Trout, but had to change to plan B after seeing the forecast!

Nice haul, yeah up in Timmins the north winds and coldfront was a near nightmare for fishing. Luckily me and my partner solved the puzzle and managed to pull in around 50 walleye and about 10 pike. Largest walleye was a really fat 26 incher and the biggest pike was 34 inches. People seemed to get getting frustrated because we were the only ones catching fish in the area...and lots of them! the key was patience no rod action no nothing just letting a jig sit on bottom and let the walleye suck them up whenever they were ready in about 30 ft of water.

Thanks for doing up the report Cliff. Good company, lots of laughs and talks of future adventures scattered with interruptions of fish biting our lines sure makes for a great day on the water. One that was long over do.....well it have been 6 days since I had been on the water and I was having withdrawals. lol!!

Awesome on the fish'n mission.
Attire to be desired.

We are do soon for a fish with Will & Phil
I have a shirt for Cliff too.

Attire was thought of but just to damn cold to consider. lol! Let me know how your schedule is Phil and we'll plan for something soon.

Nice job guys... Will you get extra kudos from knowingly bringing the skunk on board and still catching fish!
Well done lads!
HH

Thanks Joe....LOL!

Hey doods! Any ify weather day you can catch what was intended and make a good time of things, well it's a bonus.

Good shooting Cliff and Will.

So true Bunk and thanks.

Edited by fishnsled