And the cancer dance continues

bigugli

I feel your pain we spent 9 hours at PMH yesterday for less than 5 minutes of face time with the doctor, now in our case there is little the doctor can tell us that I don't already know. All the doctor did was reiterate what I had researched already.

I am quickly learning that the real stars are the support staff.

Good luck with your battle.

A much better week for the Mrs. Judy attended a women's workshop at the Wellness Center. Lots of info shared by staff,volunteers and survivors. Friday's visit to Juravinski was great. We had the staff physician's undivided attention, and he took the time to clearly answer the wife's questions and show us around the chemo suite.

Next stop, North Bay, to relax,... and buy a few pink boat tickets.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70799

Looks like next week will be booked up with tests.

On another note, my aunt, down East, has been diagnosed with late stage cancers. Her options are extensive and aggressive chemo. or 30 days to get her affairs in order. It was a bit of a shock, and very upsetting for Judy, when we first heard.

Amazing how we went from a family without a history of cancer, to 4 people with cancer in less than 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, in the chair beside my wife was a fellow angler I had not heard from in months. I was really taken aback.

Yeah, that would surprise me too. Maybe it's a good sign that a friend is around to share things with.

Cyclophosphamide is not a lot of fun. i hope they gave her some anti nausea meds. No oranges or orange juice. They counteract the drug. I had 8 rounds of chemo with it in the cocktail. She wont feel well for a few days but will get her strength back fairly quick. She has to eat. Very very important. She may not want to but you have to make sure she eats so her body can fight. Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. Be strong for her when she cant.

Not familiar with those two Bruce.. amazingly enough though all this.. but when she gets to the Taxotere (or Docetaxel will probably be on the bag).... it will crash her white counts and she'll be given Neulasta or Neupogen needles to try to protect her immune system. Neulasta is $2814 a needle (for 0.6ml!)... so make sure in advance of getting to this stage that you find someone to help you find a program that will fund it to (hopefully at 100%) some extent for you. The Neupogen regime is usually 10 needles over 10 days.. somewhere around the $1200 mark. Bone ache is the downfall of at least the Neulasta. Warm baths seem to help Jen get through...

Another thing... no matter who / why or how much they want to visit. NOBODY comes in that house door that can't guarantee they are 100% healthy. I don't care if they are family or not. Nobody seems to take that seriously... until you've spent a couple of 4 day gigs back in the hospital with Febrile Neutrpenia. Then at least you will take it real serious... the people knocking at the door still think it's no big deal. We finally put a sign on ours... even with that people still find humour in it somehow ... "I'll just keep my hands in my pockets" doesn't cut it.

Hand sanitizer at your door entrance.... use it everytime 'till your hands have long dried out and cracked apart.

Edited by irishfield

We are covered for the neulasta with a drug plan. It was one of the first things I was bugging the MD and pharmacist about.

As for visitors, we know the drill. We have far too many family members fighting different forms and stages of cancer right now. Our daughter, the walking bug factory, is just going to have to accept the new restrictions.

As always, sending my best wishes :)

Not familiar with those two Bruce.. amazingly enough though all this.. but when she gets to the Taxotere (or Docetaxel will probably be on the bag).... it will crash her white counts and she'll be given Neulasta or Neupogen needles to try to protect her immune system. Neulasta is $2814 a needle (for 0.6ml!)... so make sure in advance of getting to this stage that you find someone to help you find a program that will fund it to (hopefully at 100%) some extent for you. The Neupogen regime is usually 10 needles over 10 days.. somewhere around the $1200 mark. Bone ache is the downfall of at least the Neulasta. Warm baths seem to help Jen get through...

I guess they jacked up the price for Neupogen. It’s $2000 for 10 shots…And it makes your spine and pelvis hurt like hell :(

• 2 weeks later...

Chemo session #2 is done and so far so good. Judy has only had some mild nausea and the hair is just starting to fall out.

On the negative, my aunt down east has discontinued chemo. They give her a month or 2 without it, but the multiple sessions each week left her weak and bedridden in hospital. I can understand and respect her decision.

Just reading this for the first time Bruce. Stay strong dude--it's a horrible dance, i know from experience

Good vibes to you and your Lady --Every New Day !

Looks like you guys are receiving rock solid medical care here

Keep the Faith Bruce

Stay Positive. agree with fellow poster..............ask stacks of questions

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Third session in the books, and it has been a rough week. So far the nausea meds have been ineffective. Now we are looking at the possibility that the cancer is spreading. We top the week off with a meds reaction that hit the bride's kidneys. Spent all night in emerg with Judy in excruciating pain while they rule out all the possibilities.

Hang in there Bruce.

I also had issues with nausea with the standard anti-nausea pills (ondansetron, dex & stemitil). Later I was given Emend (Aprepitant) and it worked very well during my high dose chemo sessions. It’s definitely something worth talking about to the pharmacist and oncologist. Nausea sucks especially when all you’re trying to afterwards is hydrate.

Sending my prayers to you and the missus.