Spray On Undercoat to fix Leak ?

Rich

Was reading about that made for tv spray rubber stuff, somebody suggested that spray on undercoat is essentially the same product. I have a loose rivet in my aluminum boat, I've popped the rivet back in but it still pinhole leaks as the day goes on. Anyone ever used spray on undercoat to help seal a boat? Will it work?

Think that stuff on tv only works if you're putting screen doors in your hull :rofl2: If you've already bucked the rivet and just want a quick fix there's a product called Gluvit that is designed for aluminum boats - just brushes on from the inside. HIghly recomended by boat restorers on iboats.com Downside is finding it around here, think that on line marine place in Kingston (name escapes me at the moment) has it, and price is about 75.00 a quart.

Michael

Agree with Floatman - Aluminum putty will fix your leak. You can buy this stuff as a two-part expoy ("Alum Bond" is one popular brand), pre-mixed in a toothpaste-like tube (sold as "Aluminox") or in the round tube Floatman shows in his link ("Quick Steel"). You can order online or find it at any automotive store .... Canadian Tire, Parts Source, etc. for about $10. Apply to both sides of the loose rivet and trust me, it will never leak again. I used to keep a crappy old tinny up north for duck hunting, and this stuff basically held it together! I beat the tar out of that boat and it remained watertight for years after. Works really, really well.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Agree with Floatman - Aluminum putty will fix your leak. You can buy this stuff as a two-part expoy ("Alum Bond" is one popular brand), pre-mixed in a toothpaste-like tube (sold as "Aluminox") or in the round tube Floatman shows in his link ("Quick Steel"). You can order online or find it at any automotive store .... Canadian Tire, Parts Source, etc. for about $10. Apply to both sides of the loose rivet and trust me, it will never leak again. I used to keep a crappy old tinny up north for duck hunting, and this stuff basically held it together! I beat the tar out of that boat and it remained watertight for years after. Works really, really well.

I bought the aluminum two part epoxy as well for my canoe. Sealed perfect and not a leak. A tree fell on my aluminum canoe,and gave it a couple creases.All good now.

I believe you are talking about JB Marine Weld? I used this to patch a 3x4" hole in my steel boat.. worked great for that. Never thought of it for this, dunno why. Thanks everyone!

I believe you are talking about JB Marine Weld? I used this to patch a 3x4" hole in my steel boat.. worked great for that. Never thought of it for this, dunno why. Thanks everyone!

This stuff was not jb weld, it was for aluminum repairs only.Rolled the two parts in your hand and worked into dent,crack or crevis. Amazing!

This stuff was not jb weld, it was for aluminum repairs only.Rolled the two parts in your hand and worked into dent,crack or crevis. Amazing!

Hmm, I have a similar substance, would be much easier.. ill have to read if mines good for aluminum. I used it to seal in some bolts for my trolling motor mount on the steel boat.. and ill have to cut those bolts off in a few days. Haha

Hey Rich, I've used something pretty similar on an old Sportspal with some success, From Canadian Tire, the Rubberized Rocker Guard. I sprayed 2 cans on all the exterior seams as I wasn't sure where it was leaking from. Did a good job, reduced the leaking considerably. Had I been able to concentrate the spray on the leaky spot itself or ambitious enough to do a coat on the inside as well I think it might have eliminated the leak entirely. Its about 8 or 9 bucks a big spray can (black or Sand). It dries kinda rubbery but non sticky. Resist the temptation to use the cheaper asphalt stuff as it stays sticky/messy for ages. I speak from experience about that stuff too.

Hey Rich, I've used something pretty similar on an old Sportspal with some success, From Canadian Tire, the Rubberized Rocker Guard. I sprayed 2 cans on all the exterior seams as I wasn't sure where it was leaking from. Did a good job, reduced the leaking considerably. Had I been able to concentrate the spray on the leaky spot itself or ambitious enough to do a coat on the inside as well I think it might have eliminated the leak entirely. Its about 8 or 9 bucks a big spray can (black or Sand). It dries kinda rubbery but non sticky. Resist the temptation to use the cheaper asphalt stuff as it stays sticky/messy for ages. I speak from experience about that stuff too.

Thank you. I have a pretty big leak in one of my Sportspals this year, and I'd like to patch it up a bit. I may pop all the ribs and coat the inside - the outside is already hideous enough! lol

If it is just a rivet and you know which one it is, take some silicone and just press it in so it is forced under the rivet as much as you can with your finger. Too easy. Had a 12 foot years back that was always banged around and had a number of leaky rivets. Turned it over and did the above and never had an issue again. No need to make it into a big job.

Edited by Lunker Larry