Accessible Fishing

HyperActive

Hello all,

I want to take the father of two special needs children out fishing.

We may have to take his twin boys in wheel chairs with is.

His boys require 24/7 365 days a year care.

I want to make a day fishing memorable for this man, can someone recommend a great fishing location (bass) that also be friendly to two your boys in wheelchairs?

An hour any direction of Hamilton is appreciated,

Add: The kids can't fish but they need ground that is level and shaded.

Edited by HyperActive

Level "and " shaded might be tough.

The Rec canal in Welland has handicap access platforms in various parts of town. Niagara R in Ft Erie by the train trestle has a good level area for perchin. East and west piers at Pt Dalhousie provide good access.

Edited by bigugli

Thank you everyone,

I usually fish at the same 3/4 places most of the year so I don't know the "lay of the land" of many spots.

Looks like I was given some great suggestions.

And Bill you are correct, we will be going when bass is in season. It is only fair to give the family as much notice as possible.

It is appreciated,

Well I have seen people in flat pontoon boats in wheelchairs before !!! If you could rent one and a level dock you might be ok ?? Just a thought and maybe some stocked trout ponds not far up north cater too handicapped people it's worth checking out ?? They would have a blast catching fish from their wheelchairs !!!!!! Just a few ideas hope it might help ....

Since you mentioned Hamilton, have you been to the Canada Centre For Inland Waters fishing platform? There is a nice wooden platform there for wheelchairs but no shade unfortunately. Also it's primarily a carp fishery and not really good if you wanna target bass. Just thought I'd metion it, thought, as an option.

In Hamilton Harbour. Pier 4 , Pier 8, Lasalle Park. , Like Mike said CCIW. Pier 4 has some shade and you can even get the odd bass there. Have you considered carp fishing for the boys. Bass fishing requires mobility and carp can be fished from one place along the shore. They fight harder than any bass and all you really need is some canned corn for bait. Please shoot me a PM.

The members here never cease to amaze me,

Thank you everyone for all of the replies and great suggestions.

I really wish I could expand on the incredible story of this family but I believe I would be getting close to breaching confidentiality.

Ultimately what my goal is to find a caregiver for a day to look after his boys and try to take him on a fishing trip of his life. This man is literally at his boys side 24/7 365 days a year with the phone at his side and 911 on speed dial.

If I can not find a caregiver for the day we will have to take his kids and fish from shore somewhere close to medical assistance if needed. The kids will not be fishing in any capacity at all, the very best we could do is to make sure they are comfortable and happy enjoying the fresh air.

I feel finding a caregiver may end up unsuccessful so I thought I better begin planning early.

I know how much this means to me and I seen the tears in this man's eyes when I told him I want to treat him to a good day out fishing, so I can only imagine how much a simple thing I take for granted means to him :-)

Thank you once again,

I work for the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority and have been waiting to hear back from my bud in parks about some of our Conservation Areas. There are 2 which you may want to consider; Glen Haffy, http://www.trca.on.ca/enjoy/locations/glen-haffy-conservation-area.dot or Heart Lake, http://www.trca.on.ca/enjoy/locations/heart-lake-conservation-area.dot.

My friend recommends Glen Haffy as it is designed for accessibility. Paths, rails, etc. but there are no bass, it's trout pond fishing. There are some very nice fish stocked into these ponds and you can catch a bunch if you know how. Heart Lake is closer for you and does have bass as well as stocked trout, actually pretty good fishing. The accessibility apparently isn't quite as good mainly due to a hill which you need to go down to get to the lake and up to get back to the parking lot and there aren't rails along the trail but the trail has been recently redone and is in very good shape.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my suggestions if you need more info. please don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Good luck with your adventure. My hats off to you sir!!.....and here you are praising the membership when clearly it is you who deserves it. Ain't the world a wonderful place!!

Check this organization out:

http://fishabilitysports.org/

They recently did a presentation at our Club meeting that was quite informative and interesting. They have a fully equipped pontoon that is made for this sort of thing.

They actually have an event scheduled for this weekend at the Bewdley docks that a number of guys from the club are aiming to help out with.