Black fly question...

ssauvain

I know this has been discussed before but I need some clarification. I have taken 3 trips to fly-in locations in Northwest Ontario...this year I am flying in to Birch Lake up past Red Lake...I am getting nervous about all this talk of the bugs. I have never been bothered by them on any past trips, however, should I purchase one of the $30 bug suits???? We are going in the general same time frame that we always go..around the 2nd week of July. Any advice would be welcome...also what do you guys use in the cabin...coils, candles?????? Thanks as always OFC NATION

:worthy::clapping::worthy:

The weather plays a major role in determining what insects are about and how "bad" they are. If it is a dry spring/early summer up there, then you'll see less black flys, but still see mosquitos, as usual, dusk and dawn.

Keep an eye on the area weather and it should give you an indication of what to expect.

As for bringing the bug suit... why not, it's light, takes up very little room and will be worth it's weight in gold, if your really need it!

HH

BTW - In the cabin, I use Gibson's Finest!

Yeah...I agree with HH and nel... $30 could make the difference between an enjoyable time out there and pure agony!! As far as in the cabin is concerned, keep in mind that the coils you can buy are insecticides. They are not repellents, so keeping the place ventilated is important. By candles, I'm assuming you mean citronella? If so, then I woudn't waste your money...unless you like the smell. You can buy netting that can go over a bed if that's what you are worried about....here's a pic...available at Canadian Tire for $20.

0760180_450_CC_52975.jpg

Here's the link with more info....

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_deta...fromSearch=true

Edited by ccmtcanada

Headhunter's bang on the weather is the X factor.

Bug jackets work.

I did a 5 week canoe trip to the Arctic Ocean and the bug jacket worked, so did tightly knitted nylon pants and shirts. You can find them at most outdoors stores. The nylon clothing will also protect you from the sun and dries quickly if it gets wet. Lighter colours are said to attract less bugs.

Rob

Deet keeps the bugs from biting by attacking their nervous system. It doesn't keep them from crawling on you. YUCK Buy the bug suit and use it if needed. DON"T use citronella. They have proven that it works like CATNIP on BEARS!!

I'd put the citronella on the clean guy. :)

Pam

Irish you make me laugh...wish I could get together and have an adult beverage sometime with you!!!! I will not bath the entire 7 days...and I will check the weather and probably invest in the bug suit too! and get the coil suggested.

Since I go to 'rainy lake' where it is either raining or Bug infested pretty much ALL the time ... I just wear the mother of all rainsuits ... alll day long ... serves a double purpose ... besides looking just a little (shall we say) festive .... it does the job and allows me to forego the nasty trout repelling chemicals of all those other solutions .... besides ... when the weather turns nasty I am already dressed for it :) .. and when its bright and sunny I just soak myself and all is good ....

Speaking of black flies...I'm sitting here and can watch the guys building my neighbor a new deck...and doing a lot of swatting...

They came on strong yesterday and if you don't get in and shut the doors quickly, their in the house and the car in quick order...

is there really a chemical out that will work on blackflies I know deet doesnt seem to make a difference at all, I am from out west where we dont have such things so when I get bit my body dont like it much. other myths I have heard are they dont come in the house, wrong get bit in the house aswell, they only last a couple of weeks, wrong I get bit til the snow flies.

Irish you make me laugh...wish I could get together and have an adult beverage sometime with you!!!! I will not bath the entire 7 days...and I will check the weather and probably invest in the bug suit too! and get the coil suggested.

I was serious ssauvain...they do love perfume and that fresh soap smell ! :)

Yep! Them little beggars are makin' their annual appearence round here this week. If you're not fast enough they'll carry you off while runnin' from the car to the house!!!

We are firm belivers of the bug suit and don't forget the hat if you want to do any gardening stuff. They can still get pretty warm when you are working. The best thing is to pray for a nice breeze to keep them away.

Just get the bug suit.It works like a champ.However,I strongly recommend underwear when wearing it.I have never seen so many Canadians running for the hills when I put mine on!You would think they would have some sort of directions or warnings on the label.

Joe

Just get the bug suit.It works like a champ.However,I strongly recommend underwear when wearing it.I have never seen so many Canadians running for the hills when I put mine on!You would think they would have some sort of directions or warnings on the label.

Joe

Yeah, I meant to tell ya last year Joe.. the "fly" goes in the front Bud... but you were always walking away from me when I noticed. :whistling:

irishfield

Bathe a few days before you go. Not the night before and not while you are there. Let them eat the clean guy in the group!

And take Head Hunters advise as well....

So that's what that smell was last year!... I just thought you'd been fishing for Catfish Wayne. :whistling:

btw... Don't forget the Latex gloves for the hands!

Edited by Greencoachdog

btw... Don't forget the Latex gloves for the hands!

Yeah, latex gloves are a good idea too. I use them all the time (I'm a bit allergic to the bites, each bite swells up to the size of tennis balls...). You can get a 100 pack at canadian tire for $10.

Another tip is to wear a hat with the bug suit. It will keep the bug suit from contacting your face (the bugs will be waiting on the outside of the suit for that contact, and then they gotcha!).

Bring afterbite, just in case. Even with all the antibug gear, something might slip through...

Guest lundboy

Here's the post about black flies from a week ago.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...;hl=black+flies

I had a place on the French River in Alban. They were fierce in the spring but they never entered the house unless they were stuck to you when you walked in, and they never bit at night.

All in all it looks like they are resistant to most repellents and the mesh on masks & suits may not be fine enough to block them. Maybe the aluminum construction hat smeared in fuel oil is the way to go?

Here is the readers digest condensed version from the article above:

"One can purchase hats with fine mesh netting extending over the face and shoulders from camping supply and mail order houses. Repellents offer some relief depending on the individual, species of fly, temperature, humidity, time of day, etc.

There are times that flies will bite regardless of the repellent and concentration used. Protection sometimes lasts for two to two and half hours. Any of the following repellents can be used such as deet (Cutters, Diethyl-toluamide, Off), citronella oil (Skin So Soft), ethyl hexanediol or dimethyl phthalate. As a whole, the individual can merely resort to household sprays, aerosols, repellents and screens (60 mesh bolting cloth) to cope with this pest.

Some persons indicate that unpainted aluminum "hard hats" attract black flies. A thin film of fuel oil smeared over the outer surface traps flies in the oil, giving the wearer much protection."

Our patio looks across a beaver pond into miles of bush where I take my dog for a run. Before I go, I tie a fabric softener sheet to a belt loop and that usually does the trick. If that doesn't keep them far enough away, I pull the sheet off my belt and rub it over the back of my neck and hands and no more problem. I don't much like perfume but the lesser of those two evils is bearable. There's something in the sheets that those bugs just don't like. It usually keeps the big biters away too like the horseflies and deerflies. Blackflies and skeeters only want a little blood but those horseflies want to saw off a steak.

as per (Art I think it was) last year when he let me know about MAXX DEET it worked great and with only 98% deet you better watch your glasses and shure the glow is great for getting worms after your done fishing for the day and a third good thing about it you save engergy by unpluging the night light. I love the stuff and use it all the time when the bugs are thick