Gimmy them tips!

TheMaverick

Be "cautious" about sharing information... Nothing worse then hitting your favorite spot and seeing you "friend" has spent all morning filling their live well on the spot you worked hard learning...especially when your in a tournament or something... I only show buddies "community" spots anymore... The spots that already get beat up... Keep my more "secret" spots for family fishing or when I need fish on a tough day...

Well said. Under any cicumstances do not trust this guy, or show him anything

IMG_0418.jpg

These are some of my rules.

Always bring food on a fishing trip, nothing worse then traveling a long distance to fish only to be starving half way through the day and unable to concentrate on fishing/the experience.

Make sure your essentials are laid out in close proximity ie line cutters, pliers etc. and if fishing in a boat with a partner have the same utilities at the front and back of the boat.

Always have spare line ready to go.

Get all your gear/food etc ready the day before the trip. Then just a quick inspection is needed before takeoff to be sure your not forgetting anything.

I always pack extra glasses (I think that was already mentioned)

I always pack alot of water and suncreen too. When its super hot and calm weather and your fishing all day, you'll def. need these things

If you're taking someone out on your boat, show them the basic controls. If you become disabled for some reason, the time you spent showing them where and how everything works could mean the difference between life and death.

These are some of my rules.

Always bring food on a fishing trip, nothing worse then traveling a long distance to fish only to be starving half way through the day and unable to concentrate on fishing/the experience.

I have an important corollary to that rule: Make sure your buddy brings food too! Learned from experience!! My buddy has been known to show up t with just a couple of granola bars in his pocket for an all day trip. I got tired of sharing my food with him so now I very clearly remind him beforehand----I think his wife caters to him a bit too much at home. :(

Be "cautious" about sharing information... Nothing worse then hitting your favorite spot and seeing you "friend" has spent all morning filling their live well on the spot you worked hard learning...especially when your in a tournament or something... I only show buddies "community" spots anymore... The spots that already get beat up... Keep my more "secret" spots for family fishing or when I need fish on a tough day...

I disagree, share and share alike. That's what we do here isn't it? That I really disagree with.

If someone offers you nada for gas after burning 80 bucks worth when they asked you if they can join you, never take them out again, ever. If you invite someone along don't accept a dime if they offer, It's like inviting someone for dinner and telling them when they are leaving they owe you 10 bucks for the steak and 20 for the booze.

I have a neighbour I invited out a few times and he actually invited his friend onto my boat the last time, no problem, then offered me squat for fuel, I paid for the ramp and gave them a sandwich each, again no problem that's how I was raised. But the last time we were out he tells me he knows a good hole nearby but can't tell me where it is. I thought he was joking, he was dead serious, it was a secret!!!!!!

. I should have made him swim back. Then he asks me today when were' re going out again? When Hell freezes over, that's when neighbour.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Great thread so far,

If I can add anything,

1. Know a spot well before you fish there at night,

2. experience can do things knowledge can't. Time on the water is the best way to improve your fishing skills.

Edited by Redfish Suburban Angler