MTO boat trailer regulations?

Raycaster

Just finishing up tandem trailer converted for Pontoon use.

I've been looking over the mto stuff on the net but have not found a definative page regarding safety rules / lights etc.

Its a pontoon trailer 21' long 8' wide and want to make sure all the regulations are covered.

Thx ahead.

You'll need courtesy lights along the sides and because of width you'll need a light in the center on the rear as well. Suspect a yellow on side of the tongue or just where it starts to V out.. one yellow on the wheel well area and then your red tail lights visable from side (or an additonal red on the side) and the above mentioned center read running light.

I'll poke around and see if I can find the rules to confirm my suspicion. The above is the way my trailer is for my 22 foot lund.. and on my enclosed trailer because you can't see the tail lights there are red corner markers at the rear as well.

Here you go...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp13136-trailer_e-414.htm

Edited by irishfield

Get a safety check on the trailer it will ensure all's right.

Also don't forget to have a tow vehicle with a current safety.

Both safeties are required unless the axles are only rated for 2,500 lbs or less each.

Not likely in the case you described.

I believe that if you now tow a tandem axle trailer in Ontario, your tow vehicle must also be certified by the MTO. If you don't do it, your insurance company can deem your insurance "null and void" if there's an accident. Was told that by a trailer rental place a few years ago when I went to rent a trailer. Needless to say I took a smaller single axle.

I went by the mto site and now feel pretty confident what extra lights I'll need.

My short - wide trailer requires 2 yellow forward clearance lights and 2 red rear clearance lights, and a red light array across back frame between signals.

Also need a license plate light and of course the 2 front yellow side marker lights.

Now wiring it all "clean" is another story as I'll be looking for nice metal clips to secure the wiring to the 2X2 metal tube braces.

If I find 2X2" 1/4"thick steel tubing PLASTIC end caps I guess I could route through them but I planned on welding metal caps on...

I will be driving a SUV and the trailer is 22' with 2 axles.

With the pontoon bunks the width will be 8'.

The pontoon is a small 16' with 30hp.

Not exactly sure on towing capacity of trailer but if anything I thought it would be overkill for the light pontoon.