Pike fishing lures

davey buoy

As the season is about to begin for a lot of us in two weeks plus a few days. After all these years fishing that is my favorite fish to catch.Little weird maybe,but bass, crappie,catfish,blue guills,etc,are still alot of fun.

Recently watched a show filmed in Manitoba and could not believe the size of pike they were catching with Muskey lures.

Some were in the 32-40" size as well as bigger. To see a Pike grab something a quarter or more of there size was crazy.

They were using the double 10's and huge suiut stick baits and they could not resist them. Thay even caught a 26" one on one of these. Just thinking maybe I shoudn't be afraid to throw the big ones in Pike waters. I will now try a few big boys at opener to see how it go's. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!.

for early big pike we throw bigger baits here a 5 inch minnee shad in blu/white or orange base.

try large casting spoons also. when there hungry they eat with no remorse

One thing I was suprised at was the Mepps Cyclops 3,I gave that spoon a lot of use,and different speeds,didn't even catch a cold on that.

Went back to the 1/2oz terminator in white,good for two plus a day,meaning bigger fish,not 20" fish. Even on the terminator the size of bass compared to the size of the lure . Crazy. It will catch fish all day! I think we under estimate what fish will go after when there hungry.

In September/October, I bring nothing but my musky rod out pike fishing. There is no difference, just you are catching pike like they are musky! Lol Little ones , big ones, they love the monster baits in the fall.

Never had luck with them in the spring (besides monster OOS bass), and summer not so much either, I like dead bait in the summer.

Yessir. Small inlines and rat l trap style baits seem to produce the most, and the biggest for me. In deeper water jigging spoons just like ice fishing almost. And relatively small dead baits if you wanna go that route.. 4" frozen creek chubs are great when nothing else works.

I should add that a "small" bucktail to me is something along the lines of a Mepps Musky Killer.

Edited by Rich

They were using the double 10's and huge suiut stick baits and they could not resist them.

Up on the West Arm of Nippissing you can't keep the little snot rockets off the big baits and they don't care how big they are. Here's a little dink on a suicide mission that tried to inhale a "double 10"

022.jpg

So spring time you think smaller is better as a rule of thumb?

Yes absolutely, and you can add slow to that as well. Most of my early spring pike fishing is with plastics rigged either weightless or very light. 7" Berkley saltwater jerk shads, 8" reapers, 5" swimbaits, they're all deadly.

Once the water warms and their metabolism increases that's when I break out the big inlines, spinnerbaits, spoons, etc.

I've had best results for pike with Mepps Syclopes spoons and crankbaits. Cant wait to fish for pike again!!

See,there not working for me. #5 mepps gold or silver, giant killers,and spinner baits,all good. I guess I need to give those a bit more attention.

Yes absolutely, and you can add slow to that as well. Most of my early spring pike fishing is with plastics rigged either weightless or very light. 7" Berkley saltwater jerk shads, 8" reapers, 5" swimbaits, they're all deadly.

Once the water warms and their metabolism increases that's when I break out the big inlines, spinnerbaits, spoons, etc.

Thanks Mike,more tackle to buy and try lol. Will try a slow presentation as well. Any particular colors that may work better?.

Smaller in spring is pretty well always better, same with slower too of course. Hasn't always had to be soft plastics but they do work best some days, 5-6 shad like plastics and even tubes... Slow rolling smaller inlines and spinnerbaits on surface and jigging a Williams back to the boat can work great too.. And like GBay says, a big dead minnow or even chunk of bait can be best when the waters are really cold and fish slow. If you chuck flies, early spring is a prime time for that too.

Up on the West Arm of Nippissing you can't keep the little snot rockets off the big baits and they don't care how big they are. Here's a little dink on a suicide mission that tried to inhale a "double 10"

022.jpg

That's crazy Lew!!!!That bait was almost as big as him!