Some Businesses Just Don't Get It

DRIFTER_016

So I'm looking to re-power my boat.

It's time to replace the old '91 Merc 90hp 2 stroke with a new fuel injected 90hp 4 stroke.

Gas isn't getting any cheaper.

I went into my local Merc dealer and told them I was looking for the engine, new controls and the new MercMonitor gauge system with all of the appropriate senors and cables.

I told them that I would like to deal with them but not if they were way more expensive than down South. I said I know it cost more to bring stuff up here and other costs are more expensive. I also reminded them that I bought a $15K Yamaha snowmobile from them.

Their rock bottom price on just the motor was nearly $11K + tax!!!! :o

That is $2K more than pricing I found down South. :(

I ended up calling a large marina in BC and talked with their people and got a quote.

Price is $11K for everything including tax and shipping!!!! :D

It's unfortunate that my local guy can't compete as I really wanted to give them my $$$$$$, but I'm not gonna pay an extra 30% for the privilege of giving them my money.

Just have to get my $$$ in order and I'll order up my new power plant. :good::good:

Rant over!!!!!! <_<

I am starting to see how this town really works, oh yea and they give u a STUPID parking ticket as u are walking up back to your truck when you are 2 MINUTES over the time limit, maybe they are related,, and they have commercials saying SUPPORT your local businesses, continue ranting Dave, I dont blame u for being upset.

Gotta say one thing, she's good at her job. :ninja:

:)

Get what you can, where you can. I can get gas 4 cents cheaper by doing down the road less than a half km. Today I needed an item from a company from San Diego, called /emailed - sorry we don't ship out of the US, wellmthan say so up front! Went to AMAZON, same item will be delivered Thursday ( we paid for same day shipping, a bit extra).

Industry has to learn that with the technology today we can shop worldwide and if they want to compete then keep up with the times.

Dave, your dealer probably has a higher overhead and less sales and wants to keep his head above water, that, I understand, but a sale is better than a no sale and client loyalty.

Dave, your dealer probably has a higher overhead and less sales and wants to keep his head above water, that, I understand, but a sale is better than a no sale and client loyalty.

Exactly!!!

Is it better to make a couple of bucks or nothing? <_<

We had an outdoor store here in YK called Wolverine Tackle.

They priced most of their stuff 50%-100% higher than the South.

They wanted nearly $1K for an ice auger and not one of those Huskies or other high end ones.

I bought a 3hp 10" Strikemaster new off ebay for $360 delivered.

They blamed the govt for stopping the caribou hunt when they closed their doors.

I say non-competitive prices drove them out of business. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with a 10% premium living where I do but 30% or more and there is no way you're getting my $$$$.

Think about that when you go out of business. :wallbash: