RV questions, renting and gas

jedimaster

I've rented out of the US to go to a Nascar race for the past 10 years or so. We drive from Thunder Bay and rent out of Minneapolis. It may be quite a bit cheaper if you drive or fly into the US and rent from there. You pay for the time you use it and for mileage. You get so many miles per day with your rental and anything over that costs more. You're looking at a lot of miles from Toronto to Florida. You're also going to get charged for generator use per hour, and towing fees if you happen to tow something behind the RV. Fuel, of course, is expensive. The rental we had was a Ford V-10 gas unit. You might consider a deisel. Not sure what, if any, the cost difference would be there. My best bit of advice is to read your contract thoroughly. We found out, after a few years of renting, that the windshield and the tires were not covered in our insurance policy from the renter. The windshield is as big as a picture window in a house and costs a couple grand to replace. The tires are monsters too and most likely cost a small fortune each. You can, and should, phone your local insurer to get these things insured for fairly cheap. The good news is that you will be enjoying a relatively new state of the art motor home. If anything goes wrong (besides the windshield and tires) they are responsible.

That's our unit on the right.

KC6.jpg

Why I just bought the old '83 Southwind for 18 grand.... it only took a couple 3 week summer vacations to pay for it based on rental costs.

Wayne have you sold that RV that was listed in the classifieds a long time ago?

If I remember it was pretty reasonable.

G

A couple other things that come to mind here. Return the unit full of fuel, or they will charge you an inflated price to top it up. Clean it up totally too, or you will get a cleaning charge upon return. This means empty the waste water tank and flush it out, mop the floors, vacuum the carpet, deodorize the entire unit, etc. Also when picking up the unit you will go over the entire thing with the rental rep noting any damage. Be thorough with this. Any little scratch or dent that isnt noted at that time will be charged to you. Sounds like a nightmare, but it isn't really. Just a few things to be heads up on.

another couple options are look for a private renter. Most are alot cheaper and flexiable on milage. The other option that a friend of mine did. After finding out it was going to cost about 4000 bucks to rent a RV for 2 weeks to drive out west with his wife 2 kids and in laws,he and his father in law bought an older RV in excellent shape for 12000.used it for their trip and sold when they got back for 10500. So the actuall cost was 1500 plus some taxes.