Where to buy LED bulb for under $8?

Entropy

electricity is $.10-$.11kWh not $.20 but nice try! some of my competitors in the industry try to use $.13kWh to help justify paybacks but $.20 is crazy but then again today is 4/20!

also 120 lumens is equal to a birthday candle dont wate your time with any led less than 5 watts! To get 800lumens out of an led you are definitly at least 10 watts/$20-$30 range at the cheapest!

either stick with cfl or Irishfields idea is probably more to your budget absolutely 0 consumption!

electricity is $.10-$.11kWh not $.20 but nice try! some of my competitors in the industry try to use $.13kWh to help justify paybacks but $.20 is crazy but then again today is 4/20!

also 120 lumens is equal to a birthday candle dont wate your time with any led less than 5 watts! To get 800lumens out of an led you are definitly at least 10 watts/$20-$30 range at the cheapest!

either stick with cfl or Irishfields idea is probably more to your budget absolutely 0 consumption!

While you are right about the cost of elecricity, you are also very wrong. Take your total cost on your bill divide by the total use (Kw/hrs) and you will see that by the time all the delivery, debt, this, that, and tax are added on you are actually paying almost 20 cents per Kw/hr. Last time I did this I got 18.7 cents / kw/hr. Not 'trying' anything with these number, it is just the way it is.

Try it. What do you get?

If we were to look at the cost of gasoline like you are elecricity; the cost of gasoline would be.... something like 63 cents per Liter .... but then there is all that tax on it, so you end up paying something like $1.20 a Liter.

You could try the orange home improvement box store where they have these for sale. I'm not sure if these are the ones I use or not but they're going to be pretty bright I imagine.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6-watt-40w-warm-white-led-light-bulb-1-pack/827152

personally, I would do as others have suggested and use a number of light nights for a path. these should work fine and they can be rotated if you need to aim them.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/navigator-night-light-2-pack/919477

While you are right about the cost of elecricity, you are also very wrong. Take your total cost on your bill divide by the total use (Kw/hrs) and you will see that by the time all the delivery, debt, this, that, and tax are added on you are actually paying almost 20 cents per Kw/hr. Last time I did this I got 18.7 cents / kw/hr. Not 'trying' anything with these number, it is just the way it is.

Try it. What do you get?

If we were to look at the cost of gasoline like you are elecricity; the cost of gasoline would be.... something like 63 cents per Liter .... but then there is all that tax on it, so you end up paying something like $1.20 a Liter.

i better call all my colegues at the LDC and OPA and tell them they are wrong and you are right i guess !!! LOL! look up the cost of elecricity when calculating energy savings...

TORONTO HYDRO CURRENT ELECTRICITY RATES

Electricity rates as of November 1, 2012.

Regulated Price Plan Tiered Pricing
  • 7.4 ¢/kWh/first 1,000 kWhs used per 30 days
  • 8.7 ¢/kWh/remaining kWhs

If you're on Regulated Price Plan Tiered Pricing, your consumption in kilowatt hours (kWhs) is separated into two price tiers under the government's Regulated Price Plan. Customers will be charged one rate for the first 600 kWhs of use per 30 days, while electricity consumed in excess of this threshold will be priced at a different rate.

The price threshold (the amount of electricity consumption that is charged at the lower price) will change twice a year for residential consumers. The price threshold will be 1,000 kWhs per 30 days during the winter season (Nov. 1 - Apr. 30) and 600 kWhs during the summer season (May 1 - Oct. 31). This allows consumers to use more electricity at a lower price in the winter. For more information visit the Ontario Energy Board's website.

Regulated Price Plan Time-of-Use Pricing
  • 11.8 ¢/kWh Highest Price (On-peak)
  • 9.9 ¢/kWh Mid Price (Mid-peak)
  • 6.3 ¢/kWh Lowest Price (Off-peak)

If you're on Time-of-Use rates, your consumption in kWhs is separated into three periods. Customers will be charged 11.7 cents per kWh in the Highest Price (On-Peak) period, 10.0 cents per kWh in the Mid Price (Mid-Peak) period and 6.5 cents per kWh in the Lowest Price (Off-Peak) period. View more information about Time-of-Use rates.

i better call all my colegues at the LDC and OPA and tell them they are wrong and you are right i guess !!! LOL! look up the cost of elecricity when calculating energy savings...

Do that. Do you have an electricity bill to try this calc. on ?

variables on your bill that are not affected by consumption such as many of the fees not highlighted on your bill but grouped together under the name of distribution for instance dont count because they are the same regardless of how much you consume, thus, you cant just use the total cost of the bill since many of the fees are there even if you turn of your main breaker to the house! Remember you are trying to calculate the cost per kWh here..

fees that are a constant on every bill cannot be affected by changes in your usage pattern thus they donot apply as a cost per kWh.

lol im in the lighitng industry as well and bassassin is 100% right

for calculating hydro savings I use $.11 a KWH

its the standard in the industry

and if your buying an LED for 8 bucks its going to be garbage, our LED a19 bulb goes for around $35-$40.00

Chuck

Edited by Fins and Skins

lol im in the lighitng industry as well and bassassin is 100% right

for calculating hydro savings I use $.11 a KWH

its the standard in the industry

and if your buying an LED for 8 bucks its going to be garbage, our LED a19 bulb goes for around $35-$40.00

Chuck

CHUCKS RIGHT!

Freindly advise buy cfl's and wait for the cost of leds to continue to plummit! All the big guys: GE, Phillips, Sylvania are dumping billions! in research and development in LED's so you can expect the price to continue to decrease!!!

Just wait it out a touch longer Entropy... The spirals will do you just fine till then!

in addition to the TOU per kwh rates, you are also dinged a per kwh charge for things such as a portion of the delivery, debt repayment, etc. the sum of these charges is approximately 6 cents / kwh. so, if your rate is 11 c/kwh, the true cost is 17 c/kwh

on top of that are the FIXED fees which you pay just for the privledge of being a hydro customer even if they dont send you a single KW of power.

so, the true cost per kwh is higher that the posted TOU rates.

i made a post about this topic on here a while back, breaking down your Hydro bill..

Edited by Raf

Here's a quote from that post. TOU prices have gone up since then.

Fixed monthly costs are as follows:
Delivery – Distribution Service Charge $31.11 / month (Rural Low Density)
Regulatory – Standard Supply Service $0.25 / month

On top of that, we have a Sentinel light that costs about $20 / month for the rental / electricity / delivery / regulatory & debt charges.

Finally, there’s an adjustment factor of 1.092 – this means I get billed for 9.2% more kWh than what my meter says due to electricity “losses” before it even reaches my meter.

Here’s a breakdown of my “variable” per kWh costs:

Electricity (c / kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 6.2
Mid-Peak – 9.2
On-Peak – 10.8

To that we add

Delivery
Distribution Volume Charge – 3.6 c kWh (Metered Usage)
Transmission Connection Charge – 0.44 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)
Transmission Network – 0.574 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

Regulatory
Market Service Rate – 0.52 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)
Rural Rate Protection – 0.13 c kWh (Adjusted Usage)

And finally
Debt Retirement – 0.7c kWh (Metered Usage)

All that equals (c/kWh Adjusted Usage)

Off-Peak – 11.8017
Mid-Peak – 14.8017
On-Peak – 16.4017

CHUCKS RIGHT!

Freindly advise buy cfl's and wait for the cost of leds to continue to plummit! All the big guys: GE, Phillips, Sylvania are dumping billions! in research and development in LED's so you can expect the price to continue to decrease!!!

Just wait it out a touch longer Entropy... The spirals will do you just fine till then!

spirals are fine but I would Never leave them on 24/7. Those bulbs get Extremely hot and at very least they burn out the housing in your fixtures. For what you are looking for 3W, 800 lumen, that does not exist. If I said I could manufacture one for you there would be no way I could make the bulb last anywhere close to the 25,000-30000 hours they are rated. Pushing an LED that much would decrease its life significantly. What you would have is a fancy florescent bulb. I do have an A19 bulb that has 300 degree coverage. ( all bulbs you see now are at most 180* with the exception of the Philips bulb but it is no where close to being as bright) This is as close as you are going to get a bulb looking like a florescent/CFL bulb. It is more affordable than Home Depot and under half the price of $35-$40 ( wow I am really pricing my bulbs too low!). I respect that I am not a sponsor so If I have gone too far with "plugging" my product. Mod's I understand if you need to take this down. I was trying my best not to make it a sales pitch.

Nick

Guys, you seem very knowledgeable and intelligent, but also very naive as consumers.

My total cost for electricity to come out of my outlets over the last year. = $1928

The total KWH for the last year = 12 346

My experienced cost of electricity as it comes out of my outlets ‘on average’ is = 15.6 cents / KWH. [the 18.7 cents / KWH must have been based off of one of my more expensive bills]

Add 10% to 15.6 [comes into effect May first] = 17.16 cents / KWH. [Also on May 1st we switch to summer pricing]

For the ease of shopping and comparing I will likely assume a 20 cents / KWH or a 15 cents / KWH.

To say that electricity costs 6.7 cents/kWh for off-peak, 10.4 cents/kWh for mid-peak and 12.4 cents/kWh during peak demand times does not take into account all the ‘other fees’ as it should. We pay them, thus it is a cost for us to have electricity. It’s a no brainier.

To do otherwise is like saying the cost of driving a car is only the cost of the gasoline you put into it, and we all know there is car payments, insurance, repairs, etc.

Is that really necessay?

Brutal

chuck

Guys, you seem very knowledgeable and intelligent, but also very naive as consumers.

My total cost for electricity to come out of my outlets over the last year. = $1928

The total KWH for the last year = 12 346

My experienced cost of electricity as it comes out of my outlets ‘on average’ is = 15.6 cents / KWH. [the 18.7 cents / KWH must have been based off of one of my more expensive bills]

Add 10% to 15.6 [comes into effect May first] = 17.16 cents / KWH. [Also on May 1st we switch to summer pricing]

For the ease of shopping and comparing I will likely assume a 20 cents / KWH or a 15 cents / KWH.

To say that electricity costs 6.7 cents/kWh for off-peak, 10.4 cents/kWh for mid-peak and 12.4 cents/kWh during peak demand times does not take into account all the ‘other fees’ as it should. We pay them, thus it is a cost for us to have electricity. It’s a no brainier.

To do otherwise is like saying the cost of driving a car is only the cost of the gasoline you put into it, and we all know there is car payments, insurance, repairs, etc.

How many OFC'ers does it take to look for a light bulb? :whistling:

Well after 41 replies and 634 views, I'm not sure how many it would take. :lol:

Check these out at only $15.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8379851/Solar/Universal-Solar-Light

Reviews are good.

• These things are great. I've had one outside for 2 years now in my gazebo and it keeps on working
  • I use these lights for my indoor lighting at night and as night lights for my kids. Have helped reduce my hydro bill by 25 percent. I have 13 that I am using total and they work great for this purpose. My only complaint would be that the last 5 that I bought the wiring to the switch is not perfect . I have to push a couple of times to get them to work. Even with this I would buy more of these if I needed.
Edited by fishnsled

I guess you weren't interested in the "free" light path ! If you're pinchin pennys I thought that was the cheapest solution...

Thanks, irishfield. I haven't the will to be moving them in and out everyday, but apparently I do have the will and time to continue this discourse. [it's turning into education]. My inlaws use them outside on entrance to the house and on the garage/barn/shed building.

Chuck, I do think 'naive consumer' is appropriate. But, I would call my attention to this specific topic attentive.

I agree with 11 or 12 cents / KWH if you are working for a client, and the expectation is to save them money. In this case you might not know all the 'add ons' to their bill, and in the end it is better to under estimate their savings, than over estimate their savings. As the end user residential consumer we should be looking at the real cost of our electricity.

Entropy

Read this post just because of the number of replies got me curious as to what was going on. Interesting to say the least. I do think the total true cost of hydro per kwh does need to address everything that you're billed for so that it is in line with what's coming out of pocket. As for the night light - why not a standard motion sensor to turn on whatever light you want to plug into it? It's only going to be on for whatever the timer is set for, and will come back on as soon as it senses again. During the day or when other lights are on it'd just stay off. But I guess they can't be had for 8.00 either, so I'll just go away now and keep reading to see if something else new presents itself.

Michael

The solar lights arent free because you have to pay for the distribution charges of being a electricty purchaser and many other charges.... We are very naive as consumers, sure keyboard warrior!

Not at war with you. Just wanted to know where to buy some cheap LED's that met my criteria. You joined the conversation. I know you are more mature that that.

"Distribution charges of being a(n) electricity prurchaser" Huh?

What cost per KWH have you found on your electricity bill? Toss some of your real life numbers into this conversation.

Entropy

Entropy