Ice Out, Turn Over & Implications on Fishing

mirogak

So I have been monitoring the ice-out conditions in Algonquin Park and the chances for a clean ice-out by April 27 are quite slim (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php). Hence, I have planned a fishing trip in the southern boundaries of the park (Bancroft area) for some brookie/bow fishing. Given the recent warm temperatures and the post left by Chris the other day about ice-out conditions in the Haliburton area, I am guessing Bancroft lakes would have iced out by then.

What follows ice-out is lake turn over. After doing some research I now have a good understanding of the what, why, and how of turnover but what I don't know still is how it impacts fishing conditions. Some questions that I have, and was wondering if some of you would shed some light on, are:

- turnover starts how many days after ice-out?

- heard fishing is poor during turnover - any tips?

- how long does a turnover last for before things settle down.

And here are some resources I found about lake turn over:

• a very nice read on trout fishing in still-water

I found this video entertaining on turn-over and cat-fishing

Cheers,

Miro

Turn over is impacted by so many factors that it is difficult to say it will happen x number of days after ice out.

The spring turn over, if there even is one, isn't as dramatic as the fall one. The bigger issue after ice-out is when the lakes stratify and again there are a lot of factors at play.

The fall one does impact fishing (maybe angler's psyche even more) but it depends a lot on the species of fish being targeted and the lake itself.

I don't think I've ever had issues with turnover or stratification during my spring trips to Algonquin.

I stopped watching that video as soon as he called the area below 12' the thermocline. I think in spring, I'm sure someone may differ, the lake just slowly stratifies. That is, the cooler, more dense water settles to the bottom. Water is at 4degC in its most dense state. Water in the lake at ice out is fairly uniform in temperature and can be a crapshoot trying to find fish as they'll be in various places in the watercolumn at any given time. As the surface water warms and pushes the cold water deeper, a rich layer of oxygen will set up in the lake. This is the thermocline. The deeper the lake, the deeper the thermocline. For example, the thermocline on a typical Kawartha lake would probably set up in the 20-30ft range whereas in Haliburton it may set-up at 30-40ft. That being said, fish will congregate in fairly predictable spots to find their preferred temperature range. Wood scattered on the shoreline can warm the water in the immediate area faster than rock will, and theres always a steady diet of baitfish near inflows and creeks. Hope this helps!

i'm not clicking the link.

there's no turnover in the spring or, at least its not as pronounced as in the fall. there is a process called stratification as we progress into summer. it's a slow process as jigger described.

spring fishing means cold water and for cold water species it means the fish can be anywhere in the water column. factors such as bait fish movements and spring bug hatches will influence where the feeding fish may be and where you should start fishing.

Edited by Raf

All ya need to know about ice out trout is to find the warmest water in the lake. The warmest water is where the bait will be, and the fish will be there too.

Shallow, dark bottom bays, weeds, wood, and sand are my go to locations for spring trout. Generallly, the northern shores will warm first. Play the wind as well, the warmer, lighter water will move around with the wind. Sometimes one degree temp change can mean the difference between a skunk, and the trip of a life time.

I like to wait for a few consecutive days of warm weather before going troutin. Once spring flows have stabilized, and temps start to rise, things get active. Until then, the fishing is tough!

S.

Miro, the key factor in small brook trout lakes right at ice out is wind. In my experience ice out fishing for brookies can be tough until you get 2-3 days of heavy wind. I guess that's what's meant by spring turnover, but it's a completely different effect than fall turnover. The water needs to be mixed from top to bottom and oxygenated. When that happens fishing is usually pretty good. As a general rule of thumb I like about 1 week after ice out for good fishing.

When the lake hasn't been whipped up yet, in my experience the brookies will hunker down right on the bottom in deeper water, and are generally very hard to catch. In those situations nothing beats an air injected nightcrawler dragged dead slow across the bottom. It can be a frustratingly slow way to fish, but it's the only way I've ever caught those fish.

Miro,

Is this primarily a canoe camping trip or a fishing trip? If you are mostly interested in fishing there are lots of lakes that are quite accessible in the Haliburton to Bancroft area that are stocked with bows. There are some others stocked with splake or specks. Don't need to camp for those lakes.

Thank you for the good insights - makes good sense.

Mike - I am going next Friday and given the warmer trending forecasts for the area, think I would land on those waters a few days after ice out. So that works. I will just pray for some windy conditions ;)

Harold - I have rented a cottage at the very tip of Algonquin's tail and there is a beautiful river that dumps into this lake as well. So I will be canoe-day-tripping. Look for a PM and we can exchange notes.

Miro

Edited by letsgofishing

At ice out the fish you should be targeting are lake trout !!!!!! This is the time if year when they are easiest to catch !!! And they will roam just about anywhere in the lake and high up in the water colum sometimes almost at the surface !!!! Just longline troll with a bait that will run 10ft deep and you will catch lakers no problem !!!!!!

You will be lucky if the ice is off that area by next friday. I havve a cottage in wilberforce, and the lakes are still ice covered. The shore lines are free, but I have my doubts your going to see much good fishing. Sorry. I've been fishing that area for 25 years now. Give it till the first/second week of may.

S.

My rule of thumb for brookies is that they don't start biting real well until the bugs start to come out.....definitely not 1 week after ice out. If there is lots of wind, they will start to get more active earlier, but not nearly as soon as the lakers will.

Just longline troll with a bait that will run 10ft deep and you will catch lakers no problem !!!!!!

There you go.....all of lake trout fishing summed up in one sentence. I wish someone would tell the lakers it is that easy ;)

At ice out the fish you should be targeting are lake trout !!!!!! This is the time if year when they are easiest to catch !!! And they will roam just about anywhere in the lake and high up in the water colum sometimes almost at the surface !!!! Just longline troll with a bait that will run 10ft deep and you will catch lakers no problem !!!!!!

And this lake does have lakers - I shall keep an eye on them. Hopefully neighbours won't think I am fishing for eyes.

You will be lucky if the ice is off that area by next friday. I havve a cottage in wilberforce, and the lakes are still ice covered. The shore lines are free, but I have my doubts your going to see much good fishing. Sorry. I've been fishing that area for 25 years now. Give it till the first/second week of may.

S.

Wilberforce is where I am headed - thanks for this. I was hoping ice would be out by then but if you tell me that is unlikely, I will contact the owner to see if he can extend it for me by a week. I really am hoping the next few days will make a difference though. Thanks for this - I was hoping someone from the area will respond.

Miro, the key factor in small brook trout lakes right at ice out is wind. In my experience ice out fishing for brookies can be tough until you get 2-3 days of heavy wind.

I have hardly ever caught a speck on a lee shore in the spring. If you get a West wind blowing in on a rocky or gravelly shore you'll have lots of fun! When the wind is from the West etc, etc, etc! :D

Mike - yes the 11th is already on my calendar for Algonquin interior ... Am gonna be hitting the western perimeter access points. But need to get out and get my feet wet this weekend. Think it will be some small streams and creeks for me.