Need suggestion for a new (to me) boat

Rizzo

Looks like most of my fishing this year will be in L St. Clair now that we have moved out to Kitchener. Currently I have a 16' Princecraft that I don't think will cut it (not a very deep hull). My problem is storage space. It will need to be in my garage which I just measured out at 19'7". I assume this is pretty standard size for a garage, so I'm wondering what size boat I could fit in there with a swing away tongue...16.5? 17? Anyone have experience with a similar size garage? Secondly, any suggestions on specific boats in that size range that would be better in big water than what I currently have. I did see a 2005 Deep V Tracker for sale for a reasonable price. Any thoughts on Trackers? Thirdly, anyone want a nice litttle princecraft side console (2003) 50 hp 4 stroke let me know! Thanks for all the input.

Uh oh, did I just open a "tiller-like" debate? Forgot one tidbit of info...I'm also tired of being out in the elements in Nov/December. For a proper top, would I need a full console boat or are there covers that can be added to side consoles that can keep us dry when waves are crashing into the bow and sleet is falling from above? With my current boat, trolling in a bit of chop we would both be covered with ice within an hour or so.

My problem is storage space. It will need to be in my garage which I just measured out at 19'7". I assume this is pretty standard size for a garage, so I'm wondering what size boat I could fit in there with a swing away tongue...16.5? 17? Anyone have experience with a similar size garage?

Same here. 20' garage but the way the overhead door is recessed, it's actually 19'7". I just bought a brand new Lund 1600 Fury with a 40 4 stroke tiller. Swing tongue trailer. I have about 3 inches clearance at the front and 3 inches at the back. Just fits and that's it. Centre line of the 1600 Fury is 16'2". A 16 1/2' maybe but not a 17. The angle of the winch post can be a factor as well. Mine actually extends beyond the hinge in the swing tongue

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by kwikfish

i know tracker is taboo here but im on my third ,,have never had a problem,,all of them have worked great for me one of the top selling boats companys in the north america, love the new one,, do your homework on whatever you buy 005-1.jpgand take your time on your purchase

I have a Legend which is 17 feet 3 inches long and will not fit in my garage which is the same size as yours. I found indoor storage for $50 per month..

I've see many negative postings on this board in regards to Tracker. Just watch this thread go crazy in the next day or so.

ouch...after Lew's comment I did a bit of a search on this site. Don't think I'm gonna roll the dice on a Tracker!

Hey Cast Away, how far off from fitting are you? Couple of inches (ie would a 17 fit?). I assume you do have a swing away tongue on it?

You can get a 17' boat in your garage. Just move your winch post ahead so that the bunks of the trailer are flush with the transom. This will make the overall length shorter but it will add more tongue weight. Most boats on the trailer are too light on the hitch anyway. With a swing tongue and the motor turned to one side, you should have enough clearance to fit.

Well I have never owned any bigger boats. (still a student on a budget haha) When I was at the boat show the Lund Rebel really stood out to me, by the sounds of what you're looking for the 16 foot rebel might be the right boat for you. Not too sure of the exact length with the trailer but I'm sure it would be close.

I think before you jump in with 2 feet, try your boat out first on L StC. I have a plain jane 16 foot Princecraft Starfish and venture out on Georgian bay. Now when the weather gets nasty, I do other things. Remember even the titanic sank and it wasn't supposed to.

Edited by Fisherman

You can get a 17' boat in your garage. Just move your winch post ahead so that the bunks of the trailer are flush with the transom. This will make the overall length shorter but it will add more tongue weight. Most boats on the trailer are too light on the hitch anyway. With a swing tongue and the motor turned to one side, you should have enough clearance to fit.

Perhaps, but it depends on the style of winch post.

This is identical to my trailer except mine is galvanized. I borrowed this picture from a dealers site.

My tongue jack is behind the winch post and the hinge is is where the jack is.

This style of winch post adds considerably to the overall length.

Beware because as I said, I have about 3 inches clearance at either end when I close the garage door.

Centre line of my Lund 1600 is 16'2".

13-1600FURYRED1_zpsda75e1f1.jpg

I think before you jump in with 2 feet, try your boat out first on L StC. I have a plain jane 16 foot Princecraft Starfish and venture out on Georgian bay. Now when the weather gets nasty, I do other things. Remember even the titanic sank and it wasn't supposed to.

I agree. Especially since you want to upsize by such a small amount. I think u could get a wider boat like a crestliner fish hawk 17' but u will still get wet. Your boat is fine if u are smart about when u go IMO. I have a 16' fish hawk and it fits your garage but u will only gain a bit of depth and width really - at what cost?

Your boat is fine if u are smart about when u go

...and there is my problem. I have limited days available, so would hate to not go due to moderate weather (plus its fun looking for a new boat!). length of the boat won't be much different, but plan on getting something a lot heavier, with a deeper hull and wider beam. If that translates to a couple extra days on the water its worth it...full windshield might be a consideration too.

Save yourself the time and hassle....go get a good used Lund or Starcraft deep V and be done for years...My 1700 Pro Sport fits just perfect with less than 1/2" on each side (had to remove one of the siding strips from the frame) and 1" lengthwise. And that is with a swing tongue (modified it myself) and under slight angle. two motors on the back. Double garage about the same as yours. Could use a bit bigger say....19 foot boat but hate to have to pay for storage and not have the boat available to me at any given time.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman