is 100 yards of braided fishing line enough?

redpearl99

Ya for sure and it really depends on what you are doing with the setup is you are casting or what ?? Put about 30-40yarss of mono backing on the reel then put your braid on !!! But like u said depends on how big the reel is and what you are using it for ?? I do the same for most of my baitcasters as well and it also depends on what the pound of mono backer is too some of my reels have 30lb mono backer some have 20lb hope this helps

Yep, as long as you're not using it on a downrigger, or ridiculous loooong flatlineing. I usually get the bigger bulk spools for braids since I'm not as concerned with them sitting on the shelf at home for a while before putting them on my reels. Most of mine have 75 yards or so and I've never seen the mono backing.

At 75 yards I can have a few irreversible professional overruns before the line has to be replaced. :oops:

Quite a few variables including # test, size reel your using and technique.

However, if you never have a "professional" override or your gear won't fray braid (ie bad eyelit) or fish near zebra mussels - 50 yards is ok.

I normally use 1/4 spool backing with the balance braid.

Not uncommon if you fish cover to slice braid on a dock post or zebra covered rocks/stump/weed.

I usually peel a 'few" yards off the spool while on the water due to the above, including the overrides ;)

Good Luck.

Here is my tip of the day. if you want casting distance think about the friction. I spool my reels up with just enough line so that the line is just barely touching the top of the reel line guide. This usually means about half the spool is filled, but I have never needed more when bass fishing. When musky fishing thats a bit different. I fyou fill it up you line will have a big presure point when its its full. Go look at it and you will see.