rapala avantis vs rapala griffin baitcaster combo

redpearl99

buying a cheap bait caster is trouble, even if you're experienced, it will be a nightmare to cast

I'd say the Curado is the reel to buy, about $150, it's a great reel too, I've had one for almost 20 years of abuse, I still prefer it over my more expensive bait casters

If you're gonna go with entry level gear, go with shimano.

I had a Crestfire ($80) for 7 years. Worth every cent. I'd still be using it I:m sure but my own mistake broke the seat off the reel.

BPS has some decent deals on now for your first bait caster. The Extreme reel is a good buy. Assuming from your post that it's your first baitcaster that it will be a general learning reel and used for all round casting which is just fine for this reel. I own 6 of the Extremes now and have found them to be durable, easy to cast and a great value when they go on sale. For spinnerbaits, topwater,.... these are fine reels

Will they flip a 1/4 oz jig like a Curado or Chronarch - NO! but I have been using these as a flipping reel on a bit larger baits and they perfom wonderfully. I have more expensive baitcasters but they will come to you all in good time.

You can buy 2 Extremes at that price for what a Curado will set you back. Pair it up with a Bionic Blade or Tourney Special at BPS and you're set for your first outfit.

I dont get why ppl buy starter reels... What a waste of $$$. Buy a proper reel the first time, and u dont go and buy a better reel a couple months later. The curado is an amazing deal at $160 dollars when u take into consideration that a high end core is $400 plus tax. And is not really significantly better... Just lighter and smoother. Save the $$$ u have till spring to make the purchase.

no opinion on rapala reels, haven't used them and not inclined to anytime soon

have put some rapala rods thorugh their paces and mixed opinion

when they first started making rods they were excellent value for money, I have a tournament long cast that is about 7-8 yrs old i guess and love it..rebuilt the handle, new cork and fuji reel seat, i really like the blank

newer rods, not so good...have been though about 5 or 6 north coast rods and 2 finesse rods...the rods are value for the dollar and well designed...but poorly built, warranty is no good to deal with

the reel seats in particularly are attached to the blank with cardboard and glue....they will spin around the blank.,...with that said, for the price, i fixed a few myself and still use them, if they break I won't be too choked about it

warranty is crap to deal with...the store sends the rod back, wait 6 months, to find out if rapala decided to warranty or not

unfortunately I dont have $160 to spend on a Curado.

thats understandable, but dont spend a hundred dollars on a junk reel is all im saying... Rather save the money you do have, and put a little aside until u can afford one. Would hate to hear u spent a little money you did have on something thats junk and might turn you off baitcasters if you are new to them... My first bass pro baitcaster made me hate them, until i gave them a second chance with a quality reel. Where abouts do u live?

the newer bps reels are pretty good, the johnny morris will out cast a few of my shimano reels that cost a lot more...dual braking systems, cats meow

if you're on a tight budget, shop online or ebay and look at classifieds for a while (esp OFC) they come up often