Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

Giving 'er now.. Started Boiling last night... even got my dad up to tend the fires. He was pretty happy to be out and about!

Was cloudy yesterday, trees didn't run much but today and tomorrow should ROCK!

CameraZOOM-20130328191022249_zpsf26857e8

20130328_170050_zps75133400.jpg

Nice set up TJ you should get an outside pic of the building while it's steaming away and present it to your pop for his wisdom.....frame the pic with material from around the sugar shack..........I'm assuming this was his set up before it became yours? Let him know the tradition will continue.....

On a side note....rum makes me sentimental

After a long weekend, with my wife turning 30.. again.. and a great sugar shack party.. i managed to pour off 17 litres of syrup last night.

Im glad its gonna be cold for a few days - take a bit of a break!

Hey sinker. I told you I was going to take some pictures of my neighbors rig. I finally made it over this weekend.

I have to admit, i didn't read this entire thread. Sorry if something like this has been posted already.

This is what he boils in. Then does the finishing on his stove indoors.

IMG_1071_zpse44aba9a.jpg

IMG_1072_zpsd020aeba.jpg

IMG_1074_zps907fab05.jpg

IMG_1075_zps9a12a9b6.jpg

Fire in side the barrel. 15'(ish) smoke stack.

Nice haul TJ!

I tried not filtering my last batch like you said, but ended up with a bunch of crud in the bottom of my bottles. I poured them all out, re-heated it, and ran it thru the filter. Came out perfect. I won't try that again. Don't you get the crud in the bottles? I'm sure its harmless, but I couldn't give that to anyone!

Its ran real good here the last 2 days. 60l yesterday, and a new record of 100l today. Pretty good haul from 22 taps!

I've made 17 litres so far. I'm getting sick of it now! Taps come out tomorrow!

I read an arcticle saying that its been such a great run this year, that we could actually be doing harm to the trees. I guess we'll see once they start budding!

Definitly my best season ever. I've doubled my best harvest, but I've spent A lot of time at it this year.

S.

CONGRATS!!!

There always that crud in the bottom .. like a black fuzz?? ... but you dont get it in the bottles when your drawing off the top a big batch that settled. The crud I get on the bottom I mix with water and put through a filter and put into the next batch... which hopefully if things go as the weather network says we will be boiling a monster batch next weekend.

Its a season long thing.. lol.. and ya its like anything else when its done your happy but you can look back with a sense of real accomplishment. I have people asking me every day if I want to sell some, and I tell them all they cannot afford to buy it from me.. you can get it at Costco for $15 a litre. Its worth more to me as gifts for special people.

i have to say.. i think the best run is yet to come for us.. still a foot of snow in the bush and -10 tonight.

I am making some sortilege tonight with crown and doing a Shameless marathon. lol

Cheers! Lol

I think we had our best run today, and if the forcast is true, it will run. Tomorrow, then be done. When I collect tomorrow, taps are coming out. Its been a long run. I hear ya on selling it, not happening here either.

I have to filter my small batches. Biggest batch I've finished yet is 4 litres.

Big plans for next year. I've already started gathering materials to build a wood fired evaporator ;) big difference using the 2ft x 2ft pan already. Much quicker.

S.

All done sugarin for 2013,what a year!!

We av 1 L of finished syrup per tap

Thats a funny story Gerrit....this sappin thing could get serious for some ...lol

The other night my neighbor put a tall boy of ricards red in a few of our sap buckets on the trees lol needless to say that was another long night of warm whiskey maple shots and beer......ha got to love it haha

Edited by lakerguy

hey guys

how are things running now?

we are all done down here in sw ont

freezer is emptying out as as friends and family take take take lo, lol lol lol

think im gonna ramp things up abit for next season...have a crap load of trees we could tap...might go to 100 that should keep the whiskey shots to a well lets just say walk to the house at 2am to a idfnn(idontknowwereiam) lol

anyways....were are yous at???

damn this stuff is good on pie(lol)

Im still waiting for the thaw.. lol... I was gonna collect, but missed my opportunity, now everything is frozen in the cans. Gonna be Sunday when things start to thaw out. Then its gonna get really warm. Im thinking one more batch here before the end of april.. Very strange and uncooperative weather up here this year...