Touch up Painting for Aluminum Lund

rdambros

I have a 2008 Lund Aluminum Explorer Sport that needs some paint. The Lund colour is "sandstone" and "arctic white".

The aluminium paint under the boat cleats and around the back eyes has bubbled off and needs to be removed and replaced (see picture).

I am trying to either find someone that can do the touch ups for me, or a source for the two aersol cans with the Lund colours and do it myself. I would prefer getting someone to do it for me.

I have already obtained the Lund paint codes, but can not source anyone to make me two cans for the touch up.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful. The boat is in Vaughan/Richmond Hill right now.

Thanks.

Boat Cleat.jpg

You'll need to find someone with a PPG paint rail... and that's getting harder and harder to do with most guys being forced to switch over to water based systems. Even my little local guy has changed over and I've lost my PPG source.

edit.. and now that I've looked at the picture... you need to get that filiform corrosion issue in check and FAST!

Edited by irishfield

What the heck is the "filiform corrosion" ????

All that nice white powdering looking stuff around the cleat mounts. Corrosion.. under the paint. In this case probably because you leave a rope on the cleat.. = wet = water getting under the stainless cleat + alum and stainless = a battery of sorts.. = corrosion under the paint. That cleat has to come off... all the corrosion cleaned up.. repainted and when the cleat goes back down some sealer or epoxy chromate on the cleat bolts to keep them isolated from the aluminum.

Edited by irishfield

I called paintscratch and they cannot send aerosol paint cans accross the border. DAMN. Also they did not have any of the aluminum etching paint to prepare the surface after the filmoform, or whatever Wayne called it, is removed from the boat.

I will try the Scarborough place tomorrow. I also read somewhere that Home Depot carries an aluminum primer that does a decent job. Any suggestions?

The best way to eliminate the corrosion from happening again is to use an isolated gasket.

It's a piece of plastic that sits between the kleet and the rail

Also switch to aluminum bolts

Aluminum is less noble than stainless and will corrode as the boat ages. In fact most aluminums corrode with exposure to just air.

Boats/ships that go in the ocean all have sacrificial anodes on them. (Something made from the least noble materials) anodes are replaced every few years and this prevents the rest of the vessel from corroding.

Edited by Luke V.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get the paint from carquest in Brampton. Nice girl Paola mixed the paint on the spot. Cost was $24/can. I also purchased the self-etching primer for $11/can. I have not tried it out yet, and as soon as I get some better weather (over 15 degrees), or find a shop where I can put the boat inside and work on it, then I will report back.

Thanks everyone for the help. Romeo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't wait and took the boat to get done professionally. I went to Heritage Marine in London. Jim Ward is the owner and did a fantastic (and quick) job. I called around and Jim was the most knowledgeable person that I spoke too. I would highly recommend that anyone looking to get similar work done to their boat that they contact Jim at Heritage Marine.