Overpowering an Aluminum

Tayzak15

Bought a 14 foot alumacraft v14 rated for 20hp, 68 inch beam, about 240+lbs, 62 inches wide at the transom. Im picking this up in the spring and was planning on using my old 1989 15hp evinrude with 2000+ hours on it and on its last legs until I found a newer motor. Well sure enough I found a good price on a lightly used 2001 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke. I was wondering If it would effect the boat at all? The weight of this 2 stroke is roughly the same even a couple of pounds lighter than the new Yamaha 15hp and 20hp 4 strokes as well all weighing in between 100-115 lbs. Also note that this boat is going to have at least 2 ppl in it minimum 90% of the time, also it will often be used for long river runs, and sometimes be back with 3-4 people plus lots of gear for weekend camping trips. I was just wondering if the 25hp would damage the boat at all considering it and the new 20hp 4 strokes are equal in weight?

I have a similar set up , my boat is rated for a 25 , it has a notched transom , I run a 30 Evinrude no problems or damage , the exact same model with the full transom is rated for a 40 .

If you're talking about the sticker that says MAX HP... That's what I was worried about , as I was told by my insurer and the OPP that it's a law only applied in the US and is simply a recommendation in Canada ..

Go for it!

Thanks for these quick replies! Its not going to be insured, its just going to be a backlake, and river fishing/camping boat in northern ontario. As for the overpowering issue the way I was kind of thinking of it was I don't have to use all that power, could just go 3/4 throttle most of the time, however when we have the big load of camping gear and people there power is there when I need it. I was just wondering because every other boat in this category was rated for a 25hp and the alumacraft I bought was rated for 20, its Compareable to the Lund WD and WC, Legend Wide body, crestliners 14 ft model all the other brands seems to be rated for 25.

I run a 30hp merc on the back of my 14ft tinny was well. No issues at all.

May I ask what kind of tinny or the size of it? beam and weight wise roughly? haha I'm really close to buying this motor just want to do a tad more research before I pull the trigger to make sure it won't damage the boat.

I had a 25 2 stroke on my old 14 footer... It wasn't wide and deep like the new ones either... Skinny and shallow.... No physical problems.... But that was the scariest boat I've ever driven....

My buddy had a old 14ft tinny, super shallow, not very wide. We had a 15hp 2 stroke on the back and would sit on the back corners of the boat to get the thing to porpoise. Holly hell was that thing a riot! LOL!!!

It really depends on the boat. My tinny is rated at 20hp, but my Christ I wouldn't want to run it with a 20. With a 15 Evinrude and a full load hunting load and 2 men weighing 225lb each it will do almost 19mph on the GPS. With just me in it the thing flat flies! Other boats have a very deep hull and more displacement and you wouldn't even notice the extra HP. The Yamaha 2 strokes are reliable and light. I would give it a go!

Thanks for the quick replies people! Im starting to lean heavily towards getting the 25 hp motor. Just to give you guys a visual idea Il link a picture of the exact same boat I bought except with a 15 inch shaft. You can see how thick the transom is in the picture though.

http://www.alumacraftnederland.nl/images/dsc03998.jpg

May I ask what kind of tinny or the size of it? beam and weight wise roughly? haha I'm really close to buying this motor just want to do a tad more research before I pull the trigger to make sure it won't damage the boat.

My boat is a Princecraft Yukon...14 feet with wide 68" beam. Going by the specs found online the boat itself is about 225 pounds. Add the floors and I'd say total of 325. I will be honest...when it's just me in the boat with no floors, WOT is a bit scary! LOL.

With two guys fishing and floors, it get up on plane great and cruises at 40km/h.

PS...that's a sweet looking boat!

Edited by ccmt

My boat is a Princecraft Yukon...14 feet with wide 68" beam. Going by the specs found online the boat itself is about 225 pounds. Add the floors and I'd say total of 325. I will be honest...when it's just me in the boat with no floors, WOT is a bit scary! LOL.

With two guys fishing and floors, it get up on plane great and cruises at 40km/h.

PS...that's a sweet looking boat!

Thanks! Its funny you own a yukon cause I'm pretty sure it has basically the identical specs at the boat I bought. My final two choices actually were this alumacraft and the yukon. The middle split bench sold me though. So you run a 25 on your yukon then and it isn't too bad?

Thanks! Its funny you own a yukon cause I'm pretty sure it has basically the identical specs at the boat I bought. My final two choices actually were this alumacraft and the yukon. The middle split bench sold me though. So you run a 25 on your yukon then and it isn't too bad?

I run a 30hp on it! LOL. I know what you mean about the split bench! I bought mine from a cousin at a great price, so I didn't have a lot of choice there.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Oh geez haha a 30! yeah, Im starting to think the 25 will be fine, especially since its about about 110 lbs. Yeah I bought mine at the boat show the other week. The alumacraft dealer was giving me the better price between the 2 so that was a another factor considering I'm still a student haha.

I had an early 80's 14" Crestliner that had a 35hp Merc on it. That boat was deep, wide and relatively heavy...oh, and fast. It was actually rated for a 30hp but had the 35hp when I bought it. I can tell you that it never felt "squirrelly". It tracked great at WOT and cornered normally. Not to say that it's ok to overrate a boat though. If you every had an accident, regardless of the reason, some other persons lawyer would eat you alive. If I was buying a new boat or upgrading a motor, I'd simply max out the spec for that particular boat.

Well I have owned lots if boats mostly 14ft tinnies and I can tell you yes you can overpower a small tinny as I bought one !!!! It was a 14ft Lund WD aluminum rated for a 20hp and I can tell you it had a 25hp Honda four stroke on it and the boat was a rocket and would almost stand on its stern when I hammered the throttle !!!!! It was a scary little boat !!!!! And was dangerous when you were at full speed a small 1 ft wave would make the bow and front of the boat raise 2-3 even four feet up in the air off the water !!!!!!! It was that insane !!! I had it for a few months and sold it as it was just too much white knuckle steering down the lake and it was balanced and not over or under weighted it was just too much motor for the size of boat but yet was rated for that hp !!!!!!! Never could figure it out as one time on pigeon lake the wind caught the bow after a few waves from a passing boat and I almost flipped it over as the boat almost stood up on the end !!!!!! If I didn't throw myself forward off the seat she would have went right over !!!!!! It scared the crap out of me !!! I sold it right after that ...... Strange but never had that problem ever before or since !!!!!!!!!! Just be careful when playing around with a boat that's a higher hp motor than what it's meant for !!!!! Cheers