anyone seen this fish?

boddah

I think it's a straight Green Sunfish. Green Sunfish do hybirdize with other sunfish readily (including Bluegill and Pumpkinseed), however I think this one isn't a hybrid because the mouth on it is huge, and if it were hybridized it would have a slightly smaller maw on it.

Looks like what's called a warmouth sunfish. My guess anyways. Tried to add a link but my computer skills are lacking....google it looks about right.

Ya it is a Warmouth. Guess you caught it around Rondeau Bay/Lake Erie.

They are very uncommon and considered an endangered species in Ontario.

Here is a link...

http://www.rom.on.ca/ontario/risk.php?doc_type=fact&id=86

Just remembered 2 years or so ago picked up two dozen minnows.One minnow was different,up and down the side of the bag.Put it in one of my tanks,posted a picture here 6 mths later.Very aggressive,and most that replied determined it was a green sunfish. Looks quite a bit like the OP's picture.

Fairly common in some waters so I've heard.

Edited by davey buoy

I sent this thread to a well know fisheries biologist and here is what she wrote me back...

Hi Jon,
It looks like the fish has 3 anal spines and it is definitely deep bodied, this gives us one of 6 species:
Too bad there isn't a scale on the photo.

Warmouth
Orangespotted Sunfish
Bluegill
Pumpkinseed
Green Sunfish
Longear Sunfish

Fish has a large mouth, reaching to the eye & so the list is reduced to:
Warmouth
Orangespotted Sunfish (but it is not this species because the fish depicted does not have white edge around the ear flap& for many other reasons)
Green Sunfish

This gives us:
Warmouth (has teeth on tongue): has 3 to 5 dark radiating lines going back from the eye (not seen in photo)
Green Sunfish (no teeth on tongue)

Solely on the photo, I think that the specimen is a Green Sunfish. It would be helpful to check out the teeth

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Bondy

I sent this thread to a well know fisheries biologist and here is what she wrote me back...

Hi Jon,

Fish has a large mouth, reaching to the eye & so the list is reduced to:

Warmouth (has teeth on tongue): has 3 to 5 dark radiating lines going back from the eye (not seen in photo)

Green Sunfish (no teeth on tongue)

Solely on the photo, I think that the specimen is a Green Sunfish. It would be helpful to check out the teeth

Just my 2 cents.

Thought it was either warmouth or green sunfish.

The bigmouth on it made me think warmouth.

Nice uncommon catch anyways. :Gonefishing:

I kept a small, green sunfish in an aquarium for a while, voracious little bugger, it would constantly harass the other fish, nipping their scales off

I came home one day to find that the green sunfish had jumped clear out of the tank and was dead on the floor

very cool, unique native fish