Manual Ice Augers

Acountdeleted

i have the normark auger that rod caster posted. 3-4years ago i was looking for that auger and couldnt find it anywhere. one day i was in the local tackle shop and there was one sitting on the desk. i asked the if it was for sale and he said sure but it was the last one of his stock and it was bought and returned and the guy said it didnt work. the blades were all chewed up, the guy must have drilled into a rock first hole and returned it. The guy at the tackle shop called the manufacture and said there is zero left and its a discontinued item but they do still sell replacement blades for it and sent me a free set. so i bought it for a discounted price put the new blades on it and works amazing! so good luck finding one unless some store in Florida accidently got one sent to them and its been sitting there for years. i wouldnt sell mine for $1000!
the old mora swede bore are bullet proof augers. before the normark i used one for years and its fallen off the back of my sled and taken a beating. i even lost a blade and it still cut with one blade!

ohhh and if anyone would like a folding 10" mora manual auger from the early 90's i got one. that beast will keep you warm all day out on the ice!

Edited by worm dangler

the bass pro cheap-o is a terrible machine... everything's falling apart after a dozen or so uses. plastic wing nut snapped in the cold (seriously guys? couldn't use a less temperature sensitive material?), the blade guard cracked immediately, and the blades themselves are a very cheap steel. you get what you pay for i know, but this is still a very disappointing piece of gear. good luck getting bps to take it back though!

I saw this one at the local Costco the other day: http://www.costco.ca/NILSUSA-Convertible-Hand-Auger.product.100002405.html

Was only $100 in the store, looks like a nice unit, easily converts for power drill.

Wow I didnt know it was a Nils available.....

I have absolutely no experience with this new orange nils, (I have the blue shaft with the red blade), but if its the same auger, Id buy a few if I had a costco membership.....again not sure if its the same as the the blue one I have, but if it is?........WHAT A STEAL BUY MANY

Meh, it lasted me a season, and got me into ice fishing. Now with all the other gear I have bought this just seems like the next natural progression........ or a Quad. :lol:

lol good auger is one of the most important components.....

Dont waste your money on a quad, buy a 3 wheeler for next to nothing, and drive it only in a straight line or you will die. Love you bud.

Are replacement blades easy to find for the NILS?

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo

Sorry about that. As of 2 years ago, lololol no wayyyyy. Maybe things have changed with their new augers etc, but the blue body and red head were very tough (impossible locally). Anything can be sourced online, but obviously at a price.

augers are on sale at ct right now, either fin or swede bore normark augers. been using one for years no issues. either way do yourself a favour and put vaseline on the blades during the off season. and often wal mart will have major clear out sales on ice fishing stuff come spring, blades go on as cheap as 10 bucks a set. keep a spare set handy incase you find a rock or stone just under the ice.

Ok heres the facts on that auger at Costco.

Ya it,s a Nils. BUT,It is marked Nils/Usa.

The drill attachment,is built right on the auger.

Now for the blade part.

It is the one piece insert,BUT,very primitive looking. I see no good coming from that blade. It,s nothing like the ones made before. LAZER sharp it aint. Looks like it was sharpen with a hand grinder.

There is an advert on the box that says, made in Sweden since 1950.

For some reason I cant down load the pics on my cell.

I've got an 8 or 9 inch manual auger. I don't know the manufacturer. It is the model where only one handle turns, the other is in direct line with the auger. I've been using it for over 30 years. I bought a second pair of blades for it a couple of years after buying the auger. I have been sharpening the blades myself ever since then. Don't use it much anymore because the ice where I do most of my icefishing rises and falls with the tides and picks up sand from the bottom at low tide. Just one grain of sand and the auger is finished for the day. I mostly use an ice chisel and when the ice gets thick, I re-open old holes to save work because the ice gets over 2 feet thick.

nils master hands down the best auger iv ever used or tried

Me too. I think the Newmarket Costco was selling them before Christmas with a drill adapter included for something around $100. Truly an awesome auger. I got mine shortly after they hit the market, and have zero regrets!

Me too. I think the Newmarket Costco was selling them before Christmas with a drill adapter included for something around $100. Truly an awesome auger. I got mine shortly after they hit the market, and have zero regrets!

I just bought one today at the Costco in Sudbury for $49.97 ( it was $99.99 before Christmas ) tried it out in 12" ice.. Took less than 20 seconds, and no jamming when breaking through.. I've never used an auger so easy and quick!!

Once I charge my drill up, I'll see how that works too, but it's not needed.

I've had them all. Nils, more, swedebore, and fin-bore.

I use the fin bore.

The nils was great for 3 seasons, then needed blades, and I couldn't find them anywhere. When I did find them, buying a new fin bore was cheaper. I haven't looked back.

S.

I've had them all. Nils, more, swedebore, and fin-bore.

I use the fin bore.

The nils was great for 3 seasons, then needed blades, and I couldn't find them anywhere. When I did find them, buying a new fin bore was cheaper. I haven't looked back.

S.

I have to agree on the nils blades.. If I'm lucky I can buy from their website, but I think I will have to sharpen them myself.. It still works awesome when it's new though!!

^ So does the fin bore 3. Good luck getting blades that are supposed to be lifetime.....that's another story.

My Nils was a 6", and my finbore is an 8". I find no difference. I had a hard time changing from a mora/swedebore style auger to the nils/finbore, only because I was used to that design for over 20 years, and could drill holes like a machine. The finbore is the same now though, just cuts like butter.

Most guys problems with augers are their own fault. They damage them without even knowing it. They have to be razor sharp, and turned properly in order to work the best. Taking care of them once the holes are drilled is equally important. I don't let many people use mine, but I will drill anyone a hole with it, no problem.

S.

That sounds just like me,treat it right,last a lifetime. I use to drill holes for anyone as well.Wasn't so much the cost,kinda,but one wrong careless bit of handling it's toast.When they cut well,hardly any work at all.!

lol..i'm the same way.. i have 2 - 8" hand augers, one is a swede-bore and the other is a normark. both worked great for the first 3 seasons, then the normark took the lead because of the blade issue. then i got new blades, and they were equal again til one of my buddy's horsed it too much and bent the tip on the swede-bore :( now i drill all the holes lol nothing beats the old 10" jiffy tho, but the fact remains the same.. take good care of your gear, and it will last a lifetime. i'm still using my dads tip ups with the same line on them from 20 years ago