Manual Ice Augers

Acountdeleted

Last year, when I was first getting into ice fishing I went out and bought a bass pro brand ice auger, figuring the 8 inch was only a few bucks more I decide to go with that (oops). In my second year, the handles have been falling apart, last week I lost one of the screws holding the blades and have noiced its been off and on for cutting.

Today when picking up replacement blades I was looking at the fancy $100 finebore III lazer sharp 'cuts the hole for you and even catches the fish for you' ice auger and was wondering, is this all a ploy to get you to spend more money or is it really worth saving up my extra pennies and buying a top of the line manual auguer?

I'm not going to get a gas powered auger because I don't have the room to hold it or bring it out on the ice and to be honest, I kinda like the exercise. But has anyone noticed a difference in the manual ones?

Last year, when I was first getting into ice fishing I went out and bought a bass pro brand ice auger, figuring the 8 inch was only a few bucks more I decide to go with that (oops). In my second year, the handles have been falling apart, last week I lost one of the screws holding the blades and have noiced its been off and on for cutting.

Today when picking up replacement blades I was looking at the fancy $100 finebore III lazer sharp 'cuts the hole for you and even catches the fish for you' ice auger and was wondering, is this all a ploy to get you to spend more money or is it really worth saving up my extra pennies and buying a top of the line manual auguer?

I'm not going to get a gas powered auger because I don't have the room to hold it or bring it out on the ice and to be honest, I kinda like the exercise. But has anyone noticed a difference in the manual ones?

Not sure about the finbore,but my mora sweden 8",has cut loads and loads of holes over the past 25 years. Still cuts like a knife through butter. The key is to put the guard right back on when hole is done Any brand name should work well.

I have a Finbore III 6" as well. Works great for me. My buddy has some 8" models as well, both the collapsible and the standard one (might be Mora, not sure). They all work great. However, it's really all about taking care of your blades. I dry mine off after every trip and spray them with some cooking oil. Definitely try not to bang them around as mentioned.

I prefer fishing out of 8" (or even 12") holes, but I prefer cutting 6" holes =)

The blades are still holding out well for the unit, for the most part, its more so all the other stuff thats falling apart. I read online that I should put some locktite around the bolts holding the blades on for the BP auger so that doesn't happen again. Makes sense but then it will be hard to get the blades off when I need to replace them.

I like the idea of the cooking oil to keep the water off. I'll have to remember that...... or maybe turtle wax. :lol:

The blades are still holding out well for the unit, for the most part, its more so all the other stuff thats falling apart. I read online that I should put some locktite around the bolts holding the blades on for the BP auger so that doesn't happen again. Makes sense but then it will be hard to get the blades off when I need to replace them.

I like the idea of the cooking oil to keep the water off. I'll have to remember that...... or maybe turtle wax. :lol:

Get yourself a small tube of removeable loctite. Vibration will not loosen them,but a good crank on the bolt will .

Fin-bore augers are easier on the arms than swede-bores. The offset handles use both arms, instead of one arm stationary and one arm turning a la swede-bore.

I have an 8" Fin-bore III. Love it.

And all you have to do is just turn the auger. No down force required. Like he said,cuts the ice like butter

Only hand auger I'll need to own; I've had it for over 6 years and beat the heck out of it. I found a cheap supply of blades (manufacturer in Oshawa) so I'm set for a while.

imagesCAJ2M9QW_zps0b70eeac.jpgBest auger I have ever used

Your auger shouldn't fall apart like that Jer. For the cost it'll take to fix it, maybe consider buying a different unit. The Finbore Micro 6' above sells for about $100 in stores.

Nils master is THE BEST HANDS DOWN manual ice auger you can get. The price will also reflect that. Its a self sharpening blade so long as you take care of it itll last forever. Pretty much no downward pressure needed: itll walk through the hole like a 4X4 in low climbing a small hill.

Man I am telling you, they are hands down the best fastest easiest (and most expensive) manual. Worth the extra $$, but damn hard to find locally.

If you slam it down and detune the blades, youre in trouble. I found a guy in the US off iceshanty who was actually able to sharpen and retune my cutting bit.....but apparently its rare to find someone who will guarantee their work.

BUY A NILS MASTER

Never used a Nils Master but they sound like a good unit.

As far as sharpening goes, for the finbore blades, just throw them out and buy new. First off it's not worth sharpening, as new blades can be bought just as cheap, and secondly, sharpening will never bring them to new quality.