T.O. Island Report and a lesson learned

tbayboy

You hit it on the head jigger - it was just that size of a fish where anywhere you held it your hand was withing treble reach. Luckily no nerves hit or anything like that, have to watch the wound for infection so i figured I'd skip fishing today - pretty sure slimy pike and toronto harbour water isn't exactly what I need covering it :). Thanks for the kind words everyone and be careful out there (I actually have a glove and it was in my bag but my bag wasn't near the fish and hey - I never needed the glove before right?)

I remember 20 years ago attempting to net a nice rainbow for a gentleman at the Burlington lift bridge pier in the spring, and the hook pop'ing out of the fish's mouth, flying by my face (no glasses) and landing in the upper lip of the gentleman.

Things I learned from this: Never land a fish like that unprotected, and 2nd, wear eye gear at all times.

You can't cover 100% of yourself, as this case points out, but if one thing is taken from it, protect the most important parts :)

Been there, done that. OUCH!!!

Glad you got it tended to and the tetanis shot. When I got the hook in my hand at Lakair last year, I figured I had my tetanis shot within the 10 year time frame. When I got back I went to the doc's for something else and asked him when the last time I had a tetanis shot, and it was Over 10 years, so I had to get one. Good thing nothing happened while camping, although I'm sure Paul would have been somewhat happy if I got lockjaw :lol:

Joey

OUCH!!! Your topic title mentions Lesson Learned. I guess we all know what the lesson is...

NEVER FISH WITH PATRICKG!!!! :lol::stretcher:

Of course I'm only joking...I'd like to meet up with both of you one day. Hope it heals up fast!! Always enjoy your reports...hopefully next time if wont end with "On the way to the hospital...."

Haha Cliff thats classic but I think its the opposite: I've been out with Patrick 3 times - 1st time I got my PB pike and he got skunked (on the islands just before end of season back in march), then 2 weeks ago we headed down the Niagara way and we wasted an hour because I locked my keys in the car (with the gear inside) then this week I go and cut our day short by impaling myself - I'm beginning to think I'm cursed :(

Actually I picked up some new trebles and replacement x-rap for Patrick (if you read Patrick this don't buy one!) - least I could do for his help. Next week it'll be revenge time!

small pike are the ones that get ya for sure. grab them behind the head and tehy usually freeze up on you. Never a bad idea to carry hook cutters with you.

i dont think gloves are a good idea. first, you lose a lot of "feel" for what you are doing when working away. 2nd, what happens when the hook goes through the glove with fish attached? you're now attached to the fish via a glove. some of these gloves are "cut-proof" yet the hooks will still go through them. What then?

Go barbless and you can flip the hooks out in seconds. Once you relealize you can still land fish w/o barbs and you can release them lightening quick no matter how badly they are hooked and you'll never want to go back.

I did it and I LOVE it.

Well isn't that the strangest thing! I know exactly where you were. Do you recall seeing a Green Lund with a couple of guys in it by the grand stand? I was wondering what the guy was doing in the water! LOL

I thought he was concerned about a fish he just released because I recall seeing the guy with a fish on then shortly after he was in the water. We did great that day by boat. This was my first time on that body of water, not exactly my coice of waters but never the less still had a great time. Between the 2 of us we boated 30 + for the day. I can garauntee we lost just as many! Sure is a bit of a haul to get there though. With The DVP being closed and avoiding traffic, it was just over an 8 mile run.

Yeah I remember you guys Ron - there were a few boating anglers out last weekend and it sure sounds like it paid off (not that I'm jealous - bastages - nope, not at all :rolleyes: ) but I can just imagine the pain it was getting the boat down there with no DVP (was enough trouble just getting my car down there and back up).

Guest Johnny Bass

great report. Though that sucks about the hooks. I had the exact same thing happen to me and it was also a puny pike.

You may want to consider getting a tetnis(sp?) shot.

Oh and they say bad luck comes in threes. So the worst is over. Get out there and catch some fish!!!