My Hardwater season so far

NAW

I finished off the deer hunting season unsuccessfully with my final hunt on Newyears Eve. Newyears day - On to a new season! HARDWATER!!

Made plans with fellow board member Livinisfishin and headed out for some Crappie new years day. Iced a few perch, moved around a lot. No Crappie. Nice day though!

Figuring out the new electronics :clapping:

IMG_0379_zpsc6998c6d.jpg

Saturday morning I found some early G-bay ice. Was hoping for pike or walleye. Skunked on my morning spot. Head to the evening spot to check the ice there. It was sketchy getting on the ice, but once on, 4" of solid clear ice. This picture was 1 shot with the spud. The while cracking is the bottom of the ice.

IMG_04271_zpsaca09094.jpg

I tiptoed around, spudding holes all over place looking for the depth I had stuck in my head.

Started to get close to the depth, and right away was lifting perch. Moved a few more times till I got right on it.. Then Wham! First drag scream of the year! And with the ice so clear, I had a great view of the fight! 22" Smack on the top of the slot..

IMG_04311_zps69af9e58.jpg

So that was a great moment. :thumbsup_anim: Followed by a BAD moment when I walked back to my gear and perch rod about 75 yards away only to find that my rod, reel, and rod holder where snatched by a big fish, and ripped down the hole.... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Sunday I met up with Livinisfishin again. We're really craving the crappie now. A crappie skunk to start the season. It was time for redemption! Went a little further north this time. The ice was very sketchy.

The hole claimed another victim! When my fishing partner went to drop in his transducer, and his cell phone fell from his pocket smack in the center of the hole.. Down she went!

Took a lot of moving around to get them. 30' of water. Minnows. Ended the day with 4 around 10" and another 8 in the 6-8" range. I'm eating them as I type!!

IMG_0433_zpscf728242.jpg

IMG_0434_zps79361dfc.jpg

IMG_0436_zps4c6d4dc4.jpg

IMG_0437_zps2cff4c42.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Looks like your having a great time! My uncles been having a very difficult time on G-Bay with walleye. He is a scuba diver so when he does his dives he always sees them, and there right infront of his channel. He's had that cottage for many many year and can't get them on a hook. Only seen one actually hooked by his cottage and it wasnt his haha.

My uncles been having a very difficult time on G-Bay with walleye. He is a scuba diver so when he does his dives he always sees them, and there right infront of his channel. He's had that cottage for many many year and can't get them on a hook. Only seen one actually hooked by his cottage and it wasnt his haha.

They can be tough to figure out. I've been skunked many times on G-bay.

Nice report Nick.

:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Brian!

And thanks to all you other folks that checked out my report!

That sucks about the lost tip up and phone (Im kind of laughing thoughwhistling.giflaugh.gif). Lots of people losing tip ups this year haha.

That's a sweet walleye. I really wish we had clear black ice like that, but, then again, we have like 6-12 inches, so I can't really complain.

Anyway, great report. I'm gonna get in touch with you soon for a Nip trip in february.

Sure thing! We might be done with them for the year though. Walleye this weekend coming. Back lake spec adventure the next. Then I'm really hoping the following week will be Simcoe whities. Maybe in the spring!

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks Limey!

I've had my finder for a long time.

It was Livinisfishing who got the new gear. I think he's starting to figure it out. A 343C. There are a prefect little unit for the ice :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by N.A.W