Superline for Floatfishing

Sharkbait22

10lb Nanofil is by far the best line I've ever used as a mainline for floatfishing.

As well as having no stretch and being round like mono it floats like a cork. The only downside, and it's a big one, it cannot be used in sub zero temps. It gets literally shredded by any little piece of ice stuck on the inner ring of your guides.

Many people hate Nanofil because it's not very abrasion resistant and that's true. But used strictly as a mainline for floatfishing in above zero temps it's the best.

Below zero 8lb or even 6lb Fireline Crystal is the next best thing imo. Not quite as slick and castable as the Nanofil, but stands up well in sub zero temps and also floats.

Same as Mike has written, do not use any of the braids below 0 temps, although the bouyancy properties of braid are nice, they don't like frozen water. I have tried the new Power Pro Super slick adn must say I am rather impressed with it to. I use 20 lb, not for the strength but for the diameter. It doesn't seem to cut into itself as much on the spool.

they covered nanofil above, I still find it to be flossy, a bit flat and not as round as they advertise

I don't mind the pline hydro float in 15 lb, the coating doesn't last forever but IMO that is reasonable, retie your leader now and then

I attach about a 10' leader with an improved albright knot, my favourite knot

power pro super slick is good too, I've experimented with coating the last 50' or so with gink and various other floatants and it does work but is far from perfect in cold weather and wears off, if I'm super anxious for a trip and have free time I play around treating the braid, but it's not a game changer by any means, more a time waster

no braid is great in icy water...my usual pin line is berkley sensithin, pretty happy with it

Most braids and superlines, as well as all the hi viz gear they are producing are a complete waste of time for float fishing. They are designed to appeal to the fisherman, nothing more. Superline has its place there is no question, but not on a float reel. For years I've run either xt, xl, samurai green (not on market for years) or Ande in bulk spools, I have also used a fair bit of maxima as well. Stick with any of these lines, and you will have no problems, won't have to waste your time cooking up shot lines or any of those time wasters, and will have far more time for fishing, and you won't need to re-spool every time it gets cold, or go to the expense of a second float reel for winter.

Edited by porkpie

Most braids and superlines, as well as all the hi viz gear they are producing are a complete waste of time for float fishing. They are designed to appeal to the fisherman, nothing more. Superline has its place there is no question, but not on a float reel. For years I've run either xt, xl, samurai green (not on market for years) or Ande in bulk spools, I have also used a fair bit of maxima as well. Stick with any of these lines, and you will have no problems, won't have to waste your time cooking up shot lines or any of those time wasters, and will have far more time for fishing, and you won't need to re-spool every time it gets cold, or go to the expense of a second float reel for winter.

I agree mono, is the the only line my float reels will see from now on.

Who wants a line that mends like crazy, doesn't twist, has no stretch and casts like a dream. It sounds like you've never actually tried braid/superline on a pin, because you're accounts of what will happen when you do aren't very accurate, lol.

I disagree strongly, but then what do I know? :)

Well I thought I'd just give it a try. Used mono for years. Sounds like 8-12 lb test would be fine. Thanks for the advice.

Braid would really pay off at river mouths. This year I was doing some long casts (Cleos) out into Superior and it was nice to have the low stretch. I likely would have lost a lot of fish with mono. I used Nanofil all last winter for ice fishing a liked it, but I'm not casting. I'm trying to find some Tuf Line XP for ice fishing but no one seems to have it. I like the the green colour instead of the white of Nanofil and on a float rod I'd be temped to run 8lb green Tuf line directly to my leader.

I can appreciate the comments about ice. I really hate ice on my guides. In turn, 90% of my steelheading happens above 0C. Even during heavy snowfalls it is often above 0C. Sometimes there's ice in the morning but it quickly burns off.

My biggest problem with braid on a pin is the line gets pinched between itself after landing a decent sized fish. The first few drifts after we're always a pain in the ass. I fish 3-6 pound leaders depending on target species, the little stretch that mono provides is a good buffer to keep leaders from breaking. If your fishing a 6' 6" rod line stretch will cause you a few bad hook sets especially in the slop, but the length of a 13 foot float rod compensates with a huge swing radius. Every one of my spinning reels have braid, but not my pins. At the end of the day it's just personal preference.

My biggest problem with braid on a pin is the line gets pinched between itself after landing a decent sized fish. The first few drifts after we're always a pain in the ass. I fish 3-6 pound leaders depending on target species, the little stretch that mono provides is a good buffer to keep leaders from breaking. If your fishing a 6' 6" rod line stretch will cause you a few bad hook sets especially in the slop, but the length of a 13 foot float rod compensates with a huge swing radius. Every one of my spinning reels have braid, but not my pins. At the end of the day it's just personal preference.

A float rod having a huge swing radius is why you can get away with the zero stretch braid on a centerpin, that plus a little reel control goes a long way.. You'll definitely get some bedding after fighting a fish, but that can easily be taken care of with the next cast.. If you can't make a bomber cast, then just a longer drift and you're just fine. It doesn't make sense that you'll have bedding issues for 3 or 4 drifts after catching a fish.. Your first drift after the fish should take care of that.

I also found that using a thicker backing with superlines/braids helps with bedding.

It's definitely not the perfect line (I don't think anything is) but it's got way more positives then minuses in my book.

I think we are being trolled, lol.

Well the float dropped, but will he try to set the hook, or realize he is ticking bottom..... I am just having a bit of fun. However, my opinion on superlines is based on fishing all over the north and south shores of the Great Lakes, and having fished some big systems with killer long drifts. I don't see an advantage to superlines or fluoro lines etc on a pin, but definately some big disadvantages. ie: a shot line, crappy in cold weather etc. the old standbys catch as many fish, with minimal hassle. I can see the advantage for someone new, for example my son. I just bought him his first float reel, and perhaps for him increased line flotation or hi viz may assist him, for me it's a non issue. If you keep an eye on your line, mend and correct as needed and keep contact with your float, you shouldn't need the low stretch of superlines nor the hi viz aspects. I also have no trouble winging a float a long way because I don't monkey about with light floats and dust shot, even in low water conditions. About the only concession to modern gear I've made is fluorocarbon leader material. Otherwise I am still float fishing the way I did 20 years ago, and for some reason catch ratios haven't gone down. Anyway, to each their own. And no more trolling LOL!

2 things about specter braids they all float and all have no memory. So the dreaded line twist side casting not issue.

And if you hit a cold stretch you can role your line on to a box top. Just cut a couple "V" and label it, re install just about the same time your mono needs to be replaced or it warms up.

Line that floats is huge advantage.

I also had bedding issues with nanofil and have since taken it off and put my mono back on. Although zero stretch is great for those hero drifts and hooksets, it puts a lot of pressure on your leader line and I found you really have to baby the fish a bit more to try not to break off fish. The stretch is mono I find helps absorb a lot of shock.

Also if you’re fishing smaller water and your float is relatively close to you and you set the hook into a fish, there is a lot of shock/stress on the leader and I have broken fish off on the hookset. Really annoying when you know it’s a fish and you don’t even get to feel the headshake or initial run. I run 6lb FC in almost all situations. Although it is Pline FC….

I did however use it for hardware chucking with a 12lb leader and it worked amazing for that application. Could feel every weed, rock and takes would rip the rod out of your hands.

As long as you're putting fish on the bank, that's all that really matters.

That's the bottom line.

However you're not fishing nearly as effectively as you could be if you're using mono exclusively.

This coming from someone who's been fishing mono on a centrepin since 1978.

I scoffed at the idea myself then I actually tried the stuff. The advantages this line offers as a mainline on a float reel are so huge they dwarf any possible negatives.

But hey each to their own. This thread wasn't meant to be a discussion on the merits of superline vs mono. The OP asked a question and it was answered.

Edited by Mike Borger

10lb Nanofil is by far the best line I've ever used as a mainline for floatfishing.

As well as having no stretch and being round like mono it floats like a cork. The only downside, and it's a big one, it cannot be used in sub zero temps. It gets literally shredded by any little piece of ice stuck on the inner ring of your guides.

Many people hate Nanofil because it's not very abrasion resistant and that's true. But used strictly as a mainline for floatfishing in above zero temps it's the best.

Below zero 8lb or even 6lb Fireline Crystal is the next best thing imo. Not quite as slick and castable as the Nanofil, but stands up well in sub zero temps and also floats.

'nuff said.

Fantastic stuff, I first tried it after fishing with Mike and haven't gone back to mono since (except in sub zero)

Sorry to bring this up again but do you think going with a higher test Nanofil would reduce the line digging-in?  But is there a downside to using 17 lb test Nano? Below are the Nano to Triline XL line equivalents.  It seems out West guys use 20# powerpro!  Thanks BTW it does come in a low-vis green now.    

Test Nanofil Nano diameter inches Test Triline XL
4 0.004  
6 0.005 2
8 0.006  
10 0.007  
12 0.008 4
14 0.009 6
17 0.01 8

Edited by Sharkbait22