Blackberry Playbook

fish_fishburn

Merry Christmas everyone. I got a BB playbook from my g/f for Christmas. I was wondering if I am going to have any issues with it since my phone is an android. I still havent unpacked it yet but it came with a wireless keyboard as well. Any ibfo on these would be great since I have never used one before.

I've had my Playbook for a year now, and like you, have an android phone, which as ccmt said is an independent device. Those that use Blackberry smartphones, get some extra goodies and functionality, and really will when BB10 if fully implemented; but as a stand alone wifi device the Blackberry Playbook is excellent, imho.

It has a really nice camera and clear display for video; also the Video Chat is simple and easy to use with other Playbook owners. There are so many wifi hotspots out there now (eg. Timmies, McD's etc) its a nice portable device to bring along to kill some time while there. Enjoy!

Edited by JimC

Nice little units...bought them for the kids can't beat the price(cheaper then ipod) and you can add Anroid apps converted to Bar by "sideloading", not all yet but plenty :clapping:

The wife has been trying the kids and now wants one of her own.

Edited by 206

You should do a bit of online homework before you open it. Check to be sure that it will play nicely with your Android. Unlike some tablets, the Playbook does not have 3G or LTE capability. It relies on your phone, ideally a Blackberry, to connect with the interwebs when you're away from a hot spot. It is NOT independent.

You should do a bit of online homework before you open it. Check to be sure that it will play nicely with your Android. Unlike some tablets, the Playbook does not have 3G or LTE capability. It relies on your phone, ideally a Blackberry, to connect with the interwebs when you're away from a hot spot. It is NOT independent.

Playbooks are available with 4G LTE

Regular Playbooks can access internet through;

WIFI.

Bridged to Blackberry Handheld.

Tethered to other smartphones.

I've had mine for quite a while now and it has replaced my laptop at work. I'd be lost without it.

My wife has had hers since last Christmas and also has her laptop parked.

We use our PB's for completely different purposes and the regular (non LTE) unit suits all of our needs.

Playbooks are available with 4G LTE

Regular Playbooks can access internet through;

WIFI.

Bridged to Blackberry Handheld.

Tethered to other smartphones.

I've had mine for quite a while now and it has replaced my laptop at work. I'd be lost without it.

My wife has had hers since last Christmas and also has her laptop parked.

We use our PB's for completely different purposes and the regular (non LTE) unit suits all of our needs.

Sorry - my info was out of date.

fewer apps available for it, but is a great machine (one of my friends has one, and absolutely loves it). In terms of connectivity, if you plan to use it primarily at home or coffee shops, hotels, etc....not a big deal. If you expect it to have connectivity everywhere, then you need to check how well it connects to an android phone. I expect it would be fine.

Edited by cram

fewer apps available for it, but is a great machine. In terms of connectivity, if you plan to use it primarily at home or coffee shops, hotels, etc....not a big deal. If you expect it to have connectivity everywhere, then you need to check how well it connects to an android phone. I expect it would be fine.

As a side note, i have a tablet with 3G/4G capability and have never bothered to sign it up. I only use it at home.

As a side note, i have a tablet with 3G/4G capability and have never bothered to sign it up. I only use it at home.

Since this is a fishing forum perhaps the discussion should lead to:

Navionics (Anyone get it to sideload properly yet to run on the Playbook)?

Anyone tried the new app "GPS Nautical Maps"?

A cheap 7" tablet allowing for bluecharts with GPS navigation with no online $$ data needed is a dream for boat owners.

Talking with a friend last night we wondered why no one had shipped in a million cheap $40 tablets from China with weather proofing preloaded with a Nautical program and sell at Bass Pro/Sail/CT for $200.

The cheap China tablets are no where close to new models but more than enough for a cheap "chartmaster".

Heck,why not add a bluetooth depth finder accessory while they are at it?

Awe.... we can dream.

Sorry, don't mean to jack the thread, but at $120 the BB Playbook would be awesome in a boat with proper weather proofing and glare screen.