Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

We all know where the problem lies..... But the problem is this.... no one dares to speak up against it in public due to fear of being targeted as a racist....(Even here on OFC) But race has NOTHING to do with this.... Its the laws as they are applied that are the issue. Not Race.

Until the laws change (which won't happen because the governments are cowards)

We will continue to be restricted by our own government repeatedly...Why?

Because we are sheep.... we do what they tell us.. They can cram ours ear full of Manure and we will ask for more...

At least our native friends have the balls to stand up and fight for what they believe in.. As do those in Quebec....

However we have lost our voice and the governments know this...

We are lazy and weak and under control... and not capable to make a stand...

Sadly we allowed this to happen, Target the many.... for the more vocal few... (The cormie Issue follow along the same lines here... we let the few dictate to the many)

G

PS... Great post B

Edited by Gerritt

We all know where the problem lies..... But the problem is this.... no one dares to speak up against it in public due to fear of being targeted as a racist....(Even here on OFC) But race has NOTHING to do with this.... Its the laws as they are applied that are the issue. Not Race.

Until the laws change (which won't happen because the governments are cowards)

We will continue to be restricted by our own government repeatedly...Why?

Because we are sheep.... we do what they tell us.. They can cram ours ear full of Manure and we will ask for more...

At least our native friends have the balls to stand up and fight for what they believe in.. As do those in Quebec....

However we have lost our voice and the governments know this...

We are lazy and weak and under control... and not capable to make a stand...

Sadly we allowed this to happen, Target the many.... for the more vocal few... (The cormie Issue follow along the same lines here... we let the few dictate to the many)

G

PS... Great post B

The LNSA (Lake Nipissing Stakeholders Association) was started so we could have a voice. A voice that would have enough support of the average person that the MNR would have to listen. It has been a struggle to get people to attend meetings or join the organization but I would have to agree, we get what we deserve. If we don't stand up against our government when they make poor decisions then we have lost.

Someone mentioned that reducing the take limit from 6 to 4 and introducing the slot size didn't work. If you believe the data that the MNR has released, then those reg. changes did have a positive impact on the Walleye population. Restocking has been done on Lake Nipissing for many years but the volumes are way, way to small. The group of volunteers does a great job but it is time to increase the volumes.

Stocking isn't the answer until all resource users are at the table and willing to negotiate. That won't happen until the returns on the gill nets are so low the First Nations will need to be part of the solution not part of the problem. I guess the question is will the fishery get sooooo low it can't recover before logic prevails.

Stocking won't work if all parties can't cooperate.

Dan O.

Stocking isn't the answer until all resource users are at the table and willing to negotiate. That won't happen until the returns on the gill nets are so low the First Nations will need to be part of the solution not part of the problem. I guess the question is will the fishery get sooooo low it can't recover before logic prevails.

Stocking won't work if all parties can't cooperate.

Dan O.

Sorry Dan, I am a glass half full type guy. If you expect people to be lazy and steal from you, they will likely meet your expectation. 25 years ago, drinking and driving was common place. Today, most kid would not consider getting behind the wheel if they had a drink. Education is the answer. Restocking will give us the time to work on the bigger issues.

It's easy to say it will never work, it's hard to try to make it work.

Sorry Dan, I am a glass half full type guy. If you expect people to be lazy and steal from you, they will likely meet your expectation. 25 years ago, drinking and driving was common place. Today, most kid would not consider getting behind the wheel if they had a drink. Education is the answer. Restocking will give us the time to work on the bigger issues.

It's easy to say it will never work, it's hard to try to make it work.

Yep ... Not saying who I represent , but yep .

I find your choice of words ironic and perhaps even a little unfortunate. :)

Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

hehehe. In all sincerity it wasn't meant that way Roy but as I looked at it before submitting my post I figured I'd leave it in there and see who would be the first one to pick up on it. There are many reasons why things happen and to leave anyone out would be Politically incorrect, wouldn't it? I'm afraid this has been and will continue to be our regularly scheduled program. It's the same crap and the same suspects over and over again. I didn't enslave anyone hundreds of years ago and cast them away into relative obscurity, so why am I forced to pick up the pieces, over and over and over and over again? Like everyone else I have the right and duty to call it the way I see it. Time to tweak the programming not return to the same crap.

Do we know if the reduction in Walleye daily catch limit to S-2 also applies to "possession limit" ?

I believe there are districts where Catch limit is 2, but possession limit is 4.

Hoping someone with expertise in this area can provide an answer. Thanks.

1 day possession limit per licensed angler .

thanks for the reply, Randy ... maybe I just don't understand your answer to my question? Sorry.

So let me try this again.

A buddy and I book into a lodge for one week.

We each catch TWO Walleye, under the slot on Monday, against our S-2 licenses. No problem so far under the new rules.

Filet and freeze them cuz we got chile thawed out we need to eat.

Can we keep One or Two more each on Tuesday, or must we first consume the fish caught Monday (2 each)?

If I catch and keep One poor scrawny 13" - 14" Walleye on each of Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Friday, freeze them, and want to take the four of them

back home, so my wife and I can have one or two small meals of Walleye, over the winter, is that a violation?

in this scenario, I only kept one per day, but wish to bring my POSSESSION LIMIT OF FOUR, home to share. Am I good to go?

If I am in violation, in this scenario, then the law is badly flawed. A good law needs to make sense and be enforceable. I would wager you would be hard pressed to find very many, if any, locals who target Walleye regularly, and have only TWO Walleye (per valid S-2 license) in their possession, i.e. at home in the Freezer, during the height of fishing season. Anyone out there doubt that?

So is it Daily Catch Limit of Two per S-2 license; Total Possession (at home, or returning home from vacation) limit Four (or Two).

Again, I understand there is plenty of precedent for Daily Catch = 2; Total Possesion (in context above) = 4.

Sorry to run on but wanted to be crystal clear what my question is; the answer is important, because it could end up being the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" as far as our annual spring fishing trip goes. There have been many years our lack of success meant we had zero Walleye to bring home to the family for a taste; however, when conditions were right, and we had some luck, and we are dropping $2,000-3,000 into the community, I like to think I am not a criminal if I bring Four small Walleye home with me. ok, I'm done now. ;)

Edited by JimC

Jim C. Let me try.

This is the way I understand it and plan on fishing. I fish with my 9 year old son alot and hope I can keep our 4 fish on consectutive days.

A buddy and I book into a lodge for one week.

We each catch TWO Walleye, under the slot on Monday, against our S-2 licenses. No problem so far under the new rules.

Filet and freeze them cuz we got chile thawed out we need to eat.

O.K. so far.

Can we keep One or Two more each on Tuesday, or must we first consume the fish caught Monday (2 each)?

I believe you can each keep 2 more on Tues for a total of 4 fish each. However, unless you eat some your "keeping" is done for the trip.

If I catch and keep One poor scrawny 13" - 14" Walleye on each of Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Friday, freeze them, and want to take the four of them

back home, so my wife and I can have one or two small meals of Walleye, over the winter, is that a violation? No. You are o.k. but aim for fish that are 15 and 3/4" (40cm).

in this scenario, I only kept one per day, but wish to bring my POSSESSION LIMIT OF FOUR, home to share. Am I good to go? If you have 4 fish and can PROOVE you caught them over at least 2 days then you are o.k.

If I am in violation, in this scenario, then the law is badly flawed. A good law needs to make sense and be enforceable. I would wager you would be hard pressed to find very many, if any, locals who target Walleye regularly, and have only TWO Walleye (per valid S-2 license) in their possession, i.e. at home in the Freezer, during the height of fishing season. Anyone out there doubt that? NOPE ;)

So is it Daily Catch Limit of Two per S-2 license; Total Possession (at home, or returning home from vacation) limit Four (or Two). IMO yes.

Again, I understand there is plenty of precedent for Daily Catch = 2; Total Possesion (in context above) = 4.

Sorry to run on but wanted to be crystal clear what my question is; the answer is important, because it could end up being the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" as far as our annual spring fishing trip goes. There have been many years our lack of success meant we had zero Walleye to bring home to the family for a taste; however, when conditions were right, and we had some luck, and we are dropping $2,000-3,000 into the community, I like to think I am not a criminal if I bring Four small Walleye home with me. ok, I'm done now. ;)

I'm sure they can but they might not want to exercise that option if keeping their jobs is important to them.

Ontarians forget everything Roy. All it takes is a few promises to get them over the hump and once the ballots are counted, WHAM!!!!!!! Confusius say: He who make false promise, not need honor it.

Jim C. Let me try.

This is the way I understand it and plan on fishing. I fish with my 9 year old son alot and hope I can keep our 4 fish on consectutive days.

If I as a lone fisherman who has a wife and 4 children, go out 6 consecutive days, take home the fish,clean and freeze them, and on the seventh day eat them with my family, am I doing this legal or not?

Here is a question that I have heard a few times.

Can the MNR change the regulations without a sitting Parliament?

What I'm saying are the new limits valid?

They call it a lame duck parliament so I guess any laws the mnr pass now has to go thru parliament to be ratified. So until the parliament session resumes sometime in the new year we can still catch 4 walleye. Any lawyer want to respond?

They call it a lame duck parliament so I guess any laws the mnr pass now has to go thru parliament to be ratified. So until the parliament session resumes sometime in the new year we can still catch 4 walleye. Any lawyer want to respond?

You don't need a lawyer for that. When you purchase your 2013 fishing license, you will be given a copy of the regulations for you to adhere to. It's also your responsibility to keep yourself informed as to any regulation changes during the season for which that license was issued.

You don't need a lawyer for that. When you purchase your 2013 fishing license, you will be given a copy of the regulations for you to adhere to. It's also your responsibility to keep yourself informed as to any regulation changes during the season for which that license was issued.

The mnr has a mandate to issue new licences every year. Any changes to the law has to be ratified by the minister of fisheries. Until then it is not law.

AFAIK Regulations don't need to go through parliment.. they only need to be signed off by the minister responsible and put thru the Gazette TWICE to become law. First time through the public can question it / public consultation in an attempt to stall or change it. Second time it's etched in stone.

I would imagine if someone ratted you out , and the MNR decided to a DNA test on your Walleye , if they are deemed Nipissing Walleye , then your ( at home ) possession limit , would be 2 fish per angler...

I can see this becoming a problem , considering that Nipissing is the only lake that has a 2 Walleye limit and is surrounded by 4 Walleye limit lakes , enforcement is gonna have fun trying to figure it out on a roadside spot check .

I would imagine if someone ratted you out , and the MNR decided to a DNA test on your Walleye , if they are deemed Nipissing Walleye , then your ( at home ) possession limit , would be 2 fish per angler...

I can see this becoming a problem , considering that Nipissing is the only lake that has a 2 Walleye limit and is surrounded by 4 Walleye limit lakes , enforcement is gonna have fun trying to figure it out on a roadside spot check .

I thought if you are less than 18 yrs old you don't need a licence, so I would be legal to have 2 walleye in my freezer for each of my 4 children. Wife not included.They would have to prove that my children did not catch them. Am I right?

I thought if you are less than 18 yrs old you don't need a licence, so I would be legal to have 2 walleye in my freezer for each of my 4 children. Wife not included.They would have to prove that my children did not catch them. Am I right?

Agree .

Your catch limit is always your possession limit !!!! If your limit is 2 walleyes you are not allowed to keep anymore walleyes till those fish are consumed !!!! You cannot stockpile fish and count them as its ok to catch 2 more tommorow and 2 the next !! You can only do that if you eat your limit everyday then you can go back out and catch your limit again!! That's the way it works for whatever area or if you are in an area whith special regs or slots

Your catch limit is always your possession limit !!!! If your limit is 2 walleyes you are not allowed to keep anymore walleyes till those fish are consumed !!!! You cannot stockpile fish and count them as its ok to catch 2 more tommorow and 2 the next !! You can only do that if you eat your limit everyday then you can go back out and catch your limit again!! That's the way it works for whatever area or if you are in an area whith special regs or slots

Right , but filling someone else's limit is also illegal , could fall under the " party fishing" law ... By that law all anglers must be able to identify ( their ) own catch ... stock piling is definitely a big problem all over the province , it also contributes to the depletion. .

It is as simple as that, yet I know a number of long time anglers that I've had to point that you can't stockpile fish. I'm sure that they keep doing it. As for as fixing the problem, all involved parties are guilty to varying degrees. I was talking to a co-worker who had a native friend in his group of four on Nipissing last year. They each took home a cooler full of fish. I pointed out it out to him that he well exceeded his limit. He said that the group kept all they wanted because the native friend had told them that if they were checked by a CO he would simply say all the fish were his. I asked my coworker if he was OK with that. My coworker's justification was that they don't take home their limit every trip. (He considers his limit being 4 fish a day times the # of days at the camp!) Gee, I wonder why there is a problem. Disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Andy