Fish finder batteries

davey buoy

The standard batteries in my Eagle Fish Easy 245ds requires 8 AA batteries. I already know that unit is ok for ice fishing even with the standard transducer. My question would be, should I get a gel battery for winter use?, Will they have the right hook up to the unit?,and how much of a difference do they make?.

I take it they come with a charger of some sort?. Thanks again for any help.

aa has a Nominal Voltage of 1.5 X 8 12 volts

yup a 12v gel would work great

I think total battery in barrie can set you up

BPS has them with charger

Misfish might have info on them too

you can make a hook up real easy from the 8 aa hook up

and you will love how long it will last

Edited by Terry

aa has a Nominal Voltage of 1.5 X 8 12 volts

yup a 12v gel would work great

I think total battery in barrie can set you up

BPS has them with charger

Misfish might have info on them too

Thanks Terry,is the need for a gel battery because the AA batteries don't like the cold?

For the rare times I've needed to use a finder in another boat than mine, (AKA a lodge boat or rental boat) I have a 7.5AH 12 volt in the home security system plus a spare battery. The home system is always on charge via the plug in transformer. I just swap out the batteries as needed.

Any ball park figure on cost of battery and charger?

This will give you an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006OBOFK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

You can get the battery anywhere from $20 to $40. Most people have correct size transformers in a drawer somewhere, purchased with an appliance they no longer use.

No, its just a deep cycle. The gel versions were much more expensive. I have 3 different 12v chargers for my boat batteries so i didnt want to opt for something that had a whole new charger. The plug-in ones with the cabelas batteries will overcharge if left on too long.

I charge mine with my deep cycle battery charger on the 2A setting. Works fine so far. Going on my 5th season this year. I use it all winter, and a few times in summer when I need a portable unit. I also run my running lights on my boat off the smaller battery in the fall for duck hunting so I don't have to drag around my big battery for no reason. Works great.

S.

Forgot guys to mention it's portable. I know I mentioned batteries but finding out now with the different connectors may not be as easy.Two separate connections from the transponder.Is there a adapter for the plug to the battery,as the other wire goes to the screen?. Maybe I'm missing something,but a gentleman today said if it was the fixed mount no problem. Thanks for any help.

Forgot guys to mention it's portable. I know I mentioned batteries but finding out now with the different connectors may not be as easy.Two separate connections from the transponder.Is there a adapter for the plug to the battery,as the other wire goes to the screen?. Maybe I'm missing something,but a gentleman today said if it was the fixed mount no problem. Thanks for any help.

Yes if it's a fixed mount it's easier, however, don't despair. I think its on page 29 of the manual it shows the "extra" connector, it goes between the 8AA battery pack connector and the plug that goes into the back of the Unit. It's the little receptacle end you might have a bit of a problem finding, usually called a chassis mount connector. Anyway, you can splice 2 more wires into that present short wire connector to get you to your 12V Gell battery, add a 3A fuse and you're good to go. Another method I did for a friend of mine who had a similar one, we carefully soldered 2 wires in parallel to the ones that come out of the 8AA pack to hook up to the 12V battery. You handy with the soldering iron?

Yes if it's a fixed mount it's easier, however, don't despair. I think its on page 29 of the manual it shows the "extra" connector, it goes between the 8AA battery pack connector and the plug that goes into the back of the Unit. It's the little receptacle end you might have a bit of a problem finding, usually called a chassis mount connector. Anyway, you can splice 2 more wires into that present short wire connector to get you to your 12V Gell battery, add a 3A fuse and you're good to go. Another method I did for a friend of mine who had a similar one, we carefully soldered 2 wires in parallel to the ones that come out of the 8AA pack to hook up to the 12V battery. You handy with the soldering iron?

I can solder,but would I only have access to the gel pack now on,or will it still allow me to use AA batteries when needed?