NF - Are we allowed to talk NHL hockey again?

jedimaster

Ecklund polled 50 players..The results are somwhat suprising....Have a read here

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Polling-50-Players-on-NHLs-3-Demands-Take-Important-Survey-and-Be-Heard/1/47870

Eklund

The Anonymous Hockey Blogger • RSS• Archive• CONTACT

I have talked to over 50 players.

1. 45 of them want a 10 year CBA. The realize CBAs only get worse for players in all sports each time you negotiate them. So every year you get between negotiations the players win.

2. 44 of them believe that while a 5 year term limit could potentially hurt the middle to lower guys they also agree that missing a season will ABSOLUTELY hurt those same players who will be replaced by two draft crops entering the NHL at once who will make half of what they make. Last time when we lost a full season over 100 players lost their jobs when it returned. a 5 year deal sure beats early retirement.

3. 47 of the 50 like transitional NHL systen which allows teams to have salaries which could reach 70M despite only paying out 50%. The players like this because without it teams would be required to dump salary and trade players, AND the summer UFA market over the next two years would be shot.

So these are the three issues Fehr is unwilling to accept and these are the three issues Fehr IS willing to throw away all the players December money for.

But don't worry. Some of the players are actually getting together and planning a way to make something happen. I do believe enough players at this point realize Fehr made a hell of deal in getting the 300 make whole and arbitration, UFA, Pension, etc.

The NHL took all that off the table, but I am told it would only take a new proposal with the players agreeing to these three issues as the NHL wants them (which is also how the players want them)

I was also tipped off this morning that Fehr himself may actually like the three issues as well but is holding out for 380M. He believes the owners will cave on that. I honestly don't know, but I really think in a shortened season paying players for games they didnt play with a fanbase that is pissed off in an economy less than 30 days in America from a financial cliff...It won't fly. The players hold the power now as shown by the owners willingness to do the make whole. The second the season is cancelled, going into next year, the owners will hold all the power.

Talking to some owners now, over the last few days, there is sort of odd calm to them. I really believe the owners feel the deal is done and they are amazed watching the players throw away the December checks.

How I see this playing out is simple

At some point...end of the month, before the owners cancel the season the owners will give the players another shot at Tuesday's deal. The Players will get one more chance at 300M and 10 years. All they will need to do is accept the 3 things. It will be a "make it or take it" deal, and some will cry the NHL is "strong-arming" the PA. But it will be the deal Fehr masterfully got them.

There is ZERO POINT ZERO ZERO chance the players throw away a year of their pro hockey life/ a hundred or so careers over the Three issues.

ZERO.

A season will happen. The owners are baffled that the players won't accept the three things now and get paid in December (and more at the end of the year because of another month of HRR) but the owners don't think the players will cancel the season over what is left.

Bottom line. The players can make a season happen and it is up to them as to when it starts. Anyone who says I am pro owner or wrong to put this all on the players remember this. I am saying Fehr has negotiated a MUCH better offer then I thought anyone could. The fact that the the owners are getting their 50/50 and honoring the signed contracts without taking away arbitration is absolutely a WIN for the players...and the longer you can ride this CBA...the players win every year longer because 50/50 will go up and up and up after year 3.

I don't know how many more times I can say the same thing and more to the point hockey fans, many of whom are struggling financially are really starting to lose touch with the players they once loved over it. The game is being damaged every day we wait. People are either pissed or what's worse just apathetic. And I can't blame them anymore...

This survey will be telling...I don't put it in here to be a jerk. I put it in here to honestly see where we are.

The PA has 700 odd members. Of course they are not going to agree on every individual issue. A ten year role playing vet has a different agenda then a second year potential star etc.

On thiurday night John Shannon (I belive it was anyway) reported on twitter that the PA agreed to the term at the table with the NHL. They went into meetings with the PA and Fehr told them (the PA) to hold out for more. Hence the disgust of Gary at his pressie...this will end this week..That im sure of..

Also as far as Ecklunds report 45 out of 50 are good to go..That number seems kinda staggering and has tipped the scales hugely in favour to getting back to the game..I think if the PA put forth a vote with Fehr this is over...Mind you this is just my opinion..

NHL Hockey? What is that anyway?

Note: Its quite laughable to see and hear the value people put towards professional athletes these days. After all, they play games for Pete's sake!

Edited by moxie

The only roadblock I see is the nhl owners unwillingness to negotiate back and fourth to find a middle ground. The nhl succeeds on the blood, sweat and skill of the players. I say put every club up for sale and bring in a fresh crop of owners. I don't think there will be a deal done. But I hope one side or the other cracks and pronto. I don't care what side cracks as long as a deal gets done. I'll happily watch the world juniors but watching ahl is so boring.

Hopefully the owners never give in....let the players crawl back on their hands and knees begging for a deal of lesser value. I mean after all according to the players....All they want to do is Play Hockey !!!!!

If I hear a hockey player say All we want to do is play hockey one more time, I'll poke both my eyes out with a dull pencil.

The only roadblock I see is the nhl owners unwillingness to negotiate back and fourth to find a middle ground. The nhl succeeds on the blood, sweat and skill of the players. I say put every club up for sale and bring in a fresh crop of owners. I don't think there will be a deal done. But I hope one side or the other cracks and pronto. I don't care what side cracks as long as a deal gets done. I'll happily watch the world juniors but watching ahl is so boring.

I agree with most above..Except the AHL the Marlies are exellent to watch..I also belive that this will settle this week. The owners and players are going to have to agree eventually..why toss the season aside.. In my opinion as we stand right now, the players hold all the cards, if this season is cancelled the owners have all the power..I also think that if the NHL cancelles this season they should fold up shop and start a new league without a greedy union..

I find all of this rather laughable. If the owners wouldve let the season begin under the rules of the old CBA and then the players went on strike as talks broke off, Id say the players were at fault. But seeing as the owners saw fit to not honour that part of the agreement, theres no question as to who is taking the blame.

My contract ends in May right as the the new 3yr contract begins. Union security is nice sometimes ;). I just dont see how this was not taken care of long in advance.

Edit: eklund lol

Edited by Jigger

Sure in 5 years of kicking out all of the players and recruiting all of the AHL teams, the NHL may recover talent wise. But for the next 5 years its going to be mediocre hockey full of players that aren't good enough to be in the NHL, only good enough by default. Only a very small percentage of the AHL players will ever see an NHL game for no reason other than they are not good enough. There is a reason Kadri isn't in the NHL yet and that's because he is NOT good enough. Not even good enough to make the Leafs. The Marlies are one of the better teams in the AHL and he is one of the better players on the Marlies... so what does that tell you. It tells me one of the better players on one of the best teams isn't good enough to play for one of the worst NHL teams.

I am not trying to pick a fight or pick on the AHL, its competative hockey, no doubt, and they play with heart. I am just pointing out that these guys just aren't the best of the best and that is what the NHL is. Thats what I want to see. The best of the best.

Edited by jedimaster

Case in point, just out of curiosity, I just went to ticketmaster, I can get a pair of Row EE platinum seats in the section beside the corner(mid faceoff dot area I think).... Even without another competitive market that pair is only 86 bucks and available readily a week before puck drop. There is NO NHL right now, and people aren't even willing to pack the house with lower bowl tickets for a 10th of the price as the NHL, and 10 billion times the availability.

Me too.

Bring up the farm teams and the big boys will break ranks sooner than you think.

I agree 100% with this statement. You would be surprised on how many of those pros would break the ranks of the union to play almost right away let alone within one season..I'm sick of the employees dictating how much the business owners put in their pockets..Thats not how it works anymore...Not in the real world..Just ask the Teachers.....

I hope the whole thing goes the way of the dinosaurs...

Greed, greed and more greed on both sides of this stupid disagreement.

The fact is the average Joe can't afford to take in a game with their kids because the ticket price is outrageous and the vendor prices are just as bad.

The owners are responsible for this plain and simple....why?

Because again and again they caved in to the outrageous salary demands of the players for far to long and have an unrealistic expectation of profit. throw in a couple "dumb factors"

Like a players union with their heads in the clouds, agents whom make their living off exploiting the youth of the game under the illusion of protection from some crooked unholy alliance between both owners and Players unions....and of course then there is Bettman

The only guy dumb enough to think Hockey needs to be expanded to be better?

Cripes...blow it up and start over its rotten to the core.

I'll stick to watching the juniors any day.

Can't wait for the world junior tourny. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree . It is all about greed.

Pls correct me if Im wrong but didn't I just hear on the news last week that the hockey players got 10.000$ ?? (STIKE PAY??)

If that is so than that is an insult to every hockey fan. :wallbash:

I think its safe to say that most people would be thrilled to make 10.000$ over 3 months working every day never mind sitting on your duff trying to figure out what to do today.

The biggest problem players/owners and agents have is tying to figure out what golf course to play next week.

As a fan Ive had enough...

Let them call off this year and next year.

Enuff of the spioled brats.

On a side note I have often thoght that if every hockey fan were to boycot watching any sport including every thing/ or gambling this would see the revenue of all sport related media suffer thus putting preasure on the advertisers as well as broacasters news meada in genneral causing a ripple effect.?

Dont forget WE are the customer/client not the players/owners or meadia...

Just a thought.

That's not much money at all....I certainly would not work every day for $40,000 per year.

Hmm. My sled will destroy your sled any day :tease:

As a secondary thought it might be time to find a leader that has extensive knolage of hockey not a bettman but a hockey person .

Say for instance like a Pat Quinn?

Thats what the NHL needs to lead it into the future.

Im shure there must be several great hockey minds/buisnes men through out the northern climates.Not only within North Aerica but ovrseas as well?

Please correct me if im wrong but Betman did well with baseball and basketball yet openly addmited that hockey will be a challange. When he took the job of commisioner?

He is failing.