First time ice fishing this winter.

hotsky

If it's cold enough this winter I definatelly want to give ice fishing a try, which I don't know too much about yet. I'm obsessed with pike fishing so I was wondering how that would effect my gear selection.

I'll be getting a manual auger, what diameter would be best? last thing I want is to catch a big one and have a hole thats too small.

What line weight would be best?

Also do ice fishing rods have rating like regular rods do? is there an ulra light and heavy ice fishing rods?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

If it's cold enough this winter I definatelly want to give ice fishing a try, which I don't know too much about yet. I'm obsessed with pike fishing so I was wondering how that would effect my gear selection.

I'll be getting a manual auger, what diameter would be best? last thing I want is to catch a big one and have a hole thats too small.

8" is a good size for larger fish but be prepared more work cutting holes that size.

For larger fish 8-12 lb test.

Also do ice fishing rods have rating like regular rods do? is there an ulra light and heavy ice fishing rods?

Yes they do. Medium/heavy would be good for pike.

Gray Wolf,

since you don't know much about ice fishing and will be your first dibs at, I recommend you tag along someone you know or can be referred to, that has been ice fishing so that he or she can show / teach the ins and out.

As for gear and the what's needed for pike... I don't have any specific gear or rods to recommend but will tell you what I use, 24" jigging rod with a spinning reel (Walmart special), 15Lbs braid line, ice type and a 6" manual auger. I do have tipups that I make but those have a special place for their use :)

Smaller augers cut holes faster/easier. A 6 inch auger hole can be tight for some pike (not as much as some would believe though) but two holes side by each and you're good to go.

A 6 inch diameter hole will almost be 19 inches around and a 8 inch hole will be 25 inches.

Yes ice rods have ratings, although just like regular rods there is no standard so one brands med/heavy is an others medium. If you plan on using set lines with live/dead bait and targeting pike most would recommend not using a rod/reel, but a tip-up with a free spool option.

I like braid but it can ice-up if it's really cold and/or you're not in a hut. Some braids do have a "ice-line" version but I haven't tried them.

Lots of good advice there to start but the most important and useful tip you got from Trout Junkie is to go with someone who knows ice fishing. There are two good reasons for this. The first is that the the learning curve will drop dramatically and second but not least is the safety factor.

Have a good time and good luck.

Not sure I undrstand, do you mean if you drill two holes and connect them?

I think he's referring to the circumference of the hole...therefore the maximum girth of the fish you can pull through it.

I wouldn't buy an 8 inch manual auger. Drilling 8 inch holes is a ton of work compared to 6 inch ones. Plus, a six inch hole is big enough for just about anything you are likely to hook into. I have a 4 1/2 inch one and I get 12 inch crappies through those holes no problem. Buy a scoop to clean out and keep the hole clear.

You should start with one tip-up and one jigging rod. You can get them at CT or Walmart for around $15 for the tip-up and $25 for the rod. There's a big selection of rods of different weights...just pick them up and bend them, you'll be able to tell what ones would be good for pike. Either buy a combo or just the rod and slap one of your summer reels on there. I'd put 12 lb test whatever (I use Fireline) on the rod and 20 lb black braided Dacron on the tip-up. I use flouro or mono leaders on both my tip-ups and jigging rods.

The advice another offered about tagging along with someone with some experience is good.

Have fun.

I would go with a 8". I own one and it isn't that hard to drill.

I have also seen some pike caught in our area that would barely fit through as 6" hole. No point in yanking some big fish through a small hole. Best to be prepared for a big fish if you are targeting them.

Drilling two connecting holes with a power auger is a good way of increasing the overall opening.

Trying it with a hand auger is a next to impossible task.

Yes most fish will fit through a 6" hole but your lost fish at the hole will surely jump compared to a 8" hole.

The gear will come with time.

For your first year on the ice, your main concern should be ice safety IMO. It can be very safe on the ice. But you can land your self in life threatening situations very easily if your not careful.

As for your questions.

I would run 8 - 12 lb braid ice line.

Med Heavy Rod

8" Auger. Just make sure the Auger is collapsible for putting in your car.

Gray_Wolf, some pics of the equipment I use for hard water

Jigging rods, tipup, dead stick, rod holders

DSC07325.jpg

Good comfortable seat that fit's on a 5 gallon bucket and various Gulp products, ice scoop and plyers

DSC07326.jpg

I make my own leads... some of the components

DSC07321.jpg

Bought this reel last year on sale at CTC... love it :)

DSC07328.jpg

Little container (double sided) for my lures

DSC07323.jpg

Other side

DSC07322.jpg

Wooden tipups I make

IMGP2156.jpg

I don't have a pic of my auger but the one I have and use, is a 6" two piece Sub Zero... bought it at Walmart a few years ago and still going strong :) Cuts through ice like butter :) Never had any problems pulling fish out ;)

TJunkie