Stopped the Mega Quarry

fishingwithbob

Most people don't know this about me.. but I spent about 10 years as an environmental geology consultant that was pro quarry/industry. I managed projects and helped put in pits and quarrys up to 80 million tonnes. While weighing all the checks and balances.. everyone has to remember that these aggregate resources have to come form some where. Projects that large can do damage, but sometimes they are better than 10 smaller projects all doing damage. I think that what most people dont realize is that aggregates are like gold... decent rock/gravel just isnt everywhere. Not just any dirt can go into our nations highways, bridges and house foundations. LOL.. At least I never had to work on a new landfill.... whewwwww....

Not saying im pro quarry here.. but aggregates are like oil.. a finite resource....

You make some good points TJ, but then again you are the guy who walked through the bush in his socks (on purpose) and posted it to YouTube sarcasm.gifrolleyes.gif

My point of view was that I don’t think we have heard the last from Highland on this yet.

What is wrong with people these days. Don't you realize that rock had to be quarried to build your house? You can't stop development and advancement. Our country is growing and people need places to live. People don't mind quarries, power plants, industry, etc. as long as they're not in close proximity of them. Eventually money and power will win over protesters and forward movement will recommence. Did you know it takes approximately fifty trees to make the signs of the average protest? :P

I think we all realize we need the dirt for infrastructure, housing, etc

however, I am not sure the highest point in southern ontario, where several headwaters start, on top of some of the best farming land in the region and then digging beneath the aquafir to boot is the best idea/place for it.

I think we all realize we need the dirt for infrastructure, housing, etc

however, I am not sure the highest point in southern ontario, where several headwaters start, on top of some of the best farming land in the region and then digging beneath the aquafir to boot is the best idea/place for it.

Yep, best to go East and dig up the Oak Ridges Moraine. ;)

One of the biggest issues with this proposed quarry was the loss of food bearing land. They would be trading potatoes for backfill material. Near-city farms are very important!

It's like trading corn for car fuelwhistling.gif

you are actually partly right the big issue was water purification

They have to start seriously looking at recycling the aggregate they have already extracted! Do you think dumping used concrete in Lake Ontario to expand Toronto's waterfront is a good renewable practice?

That land and the buildings on it are for profit only.

Like others have mentioned, the biggest problem with digging of this magnitude in this particular area, is the damage that could have been done to aquifers billions of years old that are vital to life as we know it.