Shell 91 0ctane

esoxansteel

I have been using regular gas from our cardlocks in my 1994 20hp evinrude for the past 7 years and have not had a single issue.

I don't doubt what you and Terry say at all. The problem according to the mechanic, is the fact that many boat owners do not use their motors frequently so therefore condensation build up and absorbtion by the alcohol in the fuel. I experienced it as a fact.

I tried Shell 91 in my car this week for the first time since I have had this car as it has been running like crap recently. I actually ran it right down to near empty, something I very rarely do as I usually don't let it get below a half tank. Put 40 bucks in it which was about half a tank at $1.40/L but 3 cents off for an air miles card so I paid $1.37/L while reg. was $1.24/L. So far, knock on wood, it is running pretty good and I appear to have gone from 12.5 - 13.4 L/100km to 10.4 - 11.3 L/100km. same distance of about 54 km round trip daily on a commuter route averaging 100- 110 km/hr. So for the trial run it is looking decent. I will try it again the next fill up probably today and see what happens. It could be just that I have ran most of the crap out of the fuel system and it is like a clean start :dunno: or there could be something to it.

See what happens over the next week or so and then I'll probably go back to running the same old cheap Pioneer reg gas in the car as I'm such a tight wad!

^^

I get an additional 100-150km per 60L tank of fuel EVERY time with the V-power. (depending how heavy my foot is and where I'm going)

If I can't get it, and fill up with petro, or whatever (ethanol)......I notice the difference in my mileage after the first 100km.

Its worth it for me to run premium. It costs me $4-5 per tank more to fill up, but I get a lot more miles out of it.

I only learned this because my car has a high compression, turbo engine. The manufacturer recommends the premium fuel, or I'd never touch the stuff. This is also how I learned about V-power having NO ethanol. Its a fact.

Another thing, If I fill up with premium with no ethanol from my local gas station (no ethanol in any of their gas) I also get better mileage. As soon as I put corn gas in it, my mileage sucks :asshat:ass , and the car just seems slow.

This is just in my experience. I have no scientific facts to back any of this up, but I have been keeping a very detailed record of my mileage for the last 5 years, and it all adds up.

This is why I run it in my 2 strokes too.

P.S.... I've never had a fuel related issue in my life. Never, ever. Before ethanol, I would use the same old crappy gas from the fall, in my outboard, in the spring, and have never had an issue. No stablilizer, no seafoam, nothing. When ethanol came out, I had problems with my engine sputtering at full throttle. I changed the gas line, and it went away, so I took the line apart, and found the inside of it was mushy and deteriorated. I then checked my fuel filter, and found pieces of my fuel line in the filter. I changed the line, and haven't had an issue since. I blame it on ethanol in my gas. I won't run it in anything I own unless I have no choice, and even then, I get just enough to get me where I need to go.

S.

It's true corn gas is just garbage !!! But like I asked a few posts ago does anyone know where or how to get a list of companies that don't have corn in their gas ??? What about ultramar gas ?? They sure have a lot of stations and I pass several on my way to my new work location does their premium hae corn as well ???? Thanks

Shaun... mark a glass jar about an inch up with a permanent marker... and put some water in the jar up to that line. Slap a lid on it and throw it in the truck. Hit your local gas station and while filling up put a squirt (of gas silly) in the jar, then continue to fill up your truck. In the time you fill the truck leave the jar sitting on top of the pump. If the "water" line rises above the marked line, there is ethanol in the gas. It's as simple as that...

Thanks Wayne I will try that and see what happens !!! I just got my 2 sleds out if storage and back when I put them away. Last spring I filled them up with premium added the proper amount of stabil and added a cup of seafoam to each sled !!!! So I'm hoping things are ok !!! They go to the dealer to get serviced . Last year I actually siphoned out the gas cause I didn't want it to gum up my engines like I said I have thrown out more gas between my boats and sleds its never ending paranoid battle with garbage corn gas !!! So far no issues but that's maybe cause I just don't trust corn gas and always run fresh gas ... Thanks

Thanks Wayne I will try that and see what happens !!! I just got my 2 sleds out if storage and back when I put them away. Last spring I filled them up with premium added the proper amount of stabil and added a cup of seafoam to each sled !!!! So I'm hoping things are ok !!! They go to the dealer to get serviced . Last year I actually siphoned out the gas cause I didn't want it to gum up my engines like I said I have thrown out more gas between my boats and sleds its never ending paranoid battle with garbage corn gas !!! So far no issues but that's maybe cause I just don't trust corn gas and always run fresh gas ... Thanks

Hey Shaun, if you go south down 35, the gas station in pontypool is all ethanol free.

Pontypool, millbrook, and bethany are all ethanol free. Regular, mid grad, and premium. I run this in my outboard, but still prefer the V-power in my car.

S.

^^

I get an additional 100-150km per 60L tank of fuel EVERY time with the V-power. (depending how heavy my foot is and where I'm going)

So you're really not gaining any mileage with the V-Power, you're just not losing any mileage compared to when you're running a ethanol blend... Turbo motors are extremely fussy when it comes to fuel.. I'm assuming you've got a WRX? You should see what running e85 and a retune will do to that motor! Pretty impressive (Although the mileage will suck, lol)

So you're really not gaining any mileage with the V-Power, you're just not losing any mileage compared to when you're running a ethanol blend... Turbo motors are extremely fussy when it comes to fuel.. I'm assuming you've got a WRX? You should see what running e85 and a retune will do to that motor! Pretty impressive (Although the mileage will suck, lol)

No, I have an '04 Forester XT. Same stuff, different pile I guess.

Essentially, you are right though.

Mileage sucks on them all, but fun to drive :thumbsup_anim: If my mileage was any worse, I would get rid of it!! I'm getting about 450km/60L tank right now. It gets a little better on a long highway drive, but not much. Most of my daily driving is country roads doing 100km/hr for the most part. No stop/go for me.

I'm not into tuning this engine. I already blew one up :whistling::wallbash: 60K on this new one, so far so good, but I don't pound on it like I did the other one.

S.

Yep, for sure.

Versitile too. I love pulling out of the trail, covered in mud, then pulling up beside some young punk who thinks he has a chance LOL.

I try not to do any of that anymore, but its a lot of fun to drive. Even tows my boat around no problem.

S.

I'd say the tank, or line from the regular tank is plugged or something. You may have even had water in the regular with ethanol, and none in the premium tank. There's no way your getting that much improvement just by using premium fuel.

S.

Well I could agree except on the way our we did a test and the reg tank ran at 22mph while the premium tank ran at 25mph. On the way in with the extra 120lbs of fish that is when we saw the big difference. I don't think it was because of water or plugged up because the next day on the way out we achieved the same performance as the day before. IMO definitely under load the premium shines.

Lol, need it for my flex fuel caravan.

My brother road races at cayuga whenever he has time. Hit a plateau at a bit over 500whp on 94 Instead of driving to guelph to get gas it be nice to have a few stations around here.

Edited by danbob

Winter gasoline v Summer gasoline.

Discuss.

my turn

summer gas everyone gets a whiff right away

winter gas, it takes time to make it out of the floatation suit and by the time it makes it to your head opening you forget it's your own gas you're smelling

but it keeps you warm

Well supposedly there was different formulas for winter gas and for summer gas ??? Was that pre-corn gas I can't remember ??? Even my Yamaha 50hp tiller in the manual says minimum 87 octane but running the medium or plus gas is recommended ??and it's a new motor built to the corn gas specs so if we run the non corn gas in 91 octane I guess other than storage does that mean I should not use seafoam every tank or only if its gonna sit for a few weeks? The govt just has to keep screwing things up grrrrrrr

my turn

summer gas everyone gets a whiff right away

winter gas, it takes time to make it out of the floatation suit and by the time it makes it to your head opening you forget it's your own gas you're smelling

but it keeps you warm

OK then, guess one can be wittier than I in the early morning hours. :D

Well supposedly there was different formulas for winter gas and for summer gas ??? Was that pre-corn gas I can't remember

That reminds me not too many years ago Canadian regular gas was rated at 89 octane while in the States it was rated at 87. Back then the car I had would ping like crazy on Yanky gas but fine on Canadian gas. Now both are now rated at 87. Ethanol the reason? Or did the Canuck companies figure out they could perhaps make a higher profit margin by lowering the octane to 87? Or maybe, it was because they took lead out of gas? Questions questions questions....it is all confusing :w00t: