Vehicl opinions (NF)

A few months ago we sold my wife's minivan and replaced it with a Saturn Ion 5 speed. Within a week or two she realized the Ion was a mistake. Not because of quality, but because the fact that the seats are low and between that and using the clutch, it's aggravating her lower back problems. I've done lots of searching on the web for SUV reviews but value the opinions of the members here.

I'm looking for a small SUV something that is good on gas. Must be an automatic transmission. Hope to find something under $10,000 and therefore 4 -8 years old. I like Saturn products and the look of the Vue but know they have a history of problems with their VTI transmission.

I'm anxious to replace this vehicle so I will finally be able to tow my boat again. I've already missed enough fishing.

Any opinions on the following vehicles?

Chev Tracker

Buick Rendezvous

Ford Escape (2WD)

Mazda Tribute (2WD)

Kia Sportage

Hyundai Santa Fe

Thanks in advance!

My '01 Escape has 94,000 miles on it, and I love it.

Smaller than a big SUV, good gas milage (20 mpg highway), room to put things inside, and mine as a Class III towing system. Great vehicle, and when the time comes, I'd buy one again but would look at the hybrid.

dk

I bought a 2000 chev tracker with 196 000 km last Sept. for $4900 and love it. Took it mud'n (sort of by accident) last Friday. It did good.

I drive 120 km a day to work round trip, and am very happy with the gas consumption.

Took it out on Nipissing and Scugog, works great on the ice and in the snow.

Today it has about 218 500 km on it, that's 22 500 km in 8 months.

Repairs with approx cost done so far:

- front left suspension link $90 plus $20 labour

- tires (stock size Trail Mark from Walmart) $390 inst. with free rotations and repairs.

- tail pipe repair ( the resonator rotted, which I hear is common) $70 to fix (Speedy Muffler cut, bent, and welded up a bit of new pipe).

- had some problems with the front side windows (dealer replaced the .. seals.. at a cost of $40 each, I understand that this is common) [i priced out new power window regulators and dealership cost was about $600, thank god that was not the problem]

- had the rear brakes done $130 ( not sure if that was just shoes or incl. the drums too).

- steering shaft started to cease up, it was taken out and worked free and lubed. A new shaft was to cost something rediculus like $600. It was not needed. To remove and lube ... I was charged 2 hr labour, but I watched them put it in; took 15 min.... so ?

All in all, I like it a lot. The rear folding seats are great. Paint is good. Some parts seem to be over priced if you ask me, but ...

I plan on driving to the 300 000 km mark in the next year and a bit. I figrue I might have to have the top end rebuilt (I change the oil every 4000 km so, here's hopping I will not need to. It does not make any noises right now), but would not have a problem droping a brand new engine in it for $3000 ... not that it should need one.

I'd go out and buy it again right now.

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Any opinions on the following vehicles?

Chev Tracker

Buick Rendezvous

Ford Escape (2WD)

Mazda Tribute (2WD)

Kia Sportage

Hyundai Santa Fe

Thanks in advance!

I have heard lots of good things about the Santa Fe. I have owned an Escape (V6) and would recommend it. Rendezvous gets good write up's, so I would think that you are headed in the right direction. Subaru Forester would also be on my list.

John

Hey Huey

you mention good on gas so that takes out my first 3 recommendations (ha-ha). I was recommended to a place on north service road in Burlington Autopark where you could see and test drive a number of different SUV's. I had no intention of buying as I had the doubts about a non dealership type of car lot. This place deals in 1-2 year lease vehicles but as I was told they stay away from anything classed as fleet - to many problems.

I was very pleasantly suprised and ended up buying a used Ford Expedition from them which other than stopping evry block for gas I love. I wish I could remember my sales rep but he's an older gent with glasses. My truck came with all the old paper work. Was owned by a real estate agent in Vancouver who I emailed to ask about the truck.

Anyways they have a web site that shows what's on the lot for SUV's. I spent 2 days test driving everything from the Buick Pacific to Chevs and Fords. He even let me take out a range rover.

http://www.autopark.ca/

What about the Honda CRV? My brother and a friend have them and love them. As for mileage, as far as i know it's good, my brother commutes to Toronto from Alcona.

Maureen

I bought a used CRV a little over 4 years ago, paying $10,500 for it.

In all that time with a huge amount of driving all I've done is change the oil regularly and replace the breaks a couple times.

It's by far the best vehicle I've ever owned, nothing else even comes close.

What about the Honda CRV? My brother and a friend have them and love them. As for mileage, as far as i know it's good, my brother commutes to Toronto from Alcona.

Maureen

Ya Maureen, I like the CRV as well. Unfortunately they asre a little more money then the others unless I look at some with much higher mileage. The same goes for the Toyota Rav4.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

For $10,000 you'll have to buy high mileage.

That narrows it down to CRV, RAV4 & Subaru Forrester.

All three are bigger 4cyl (2.4, 2.4 & 2.5) so towing a tinny is no problem and you'll still get good gas mileage.

I wouldn't even be afraid of a high mileage Pathfinder. You'll increase your towing capacity but lose the good gas mileage.

I work with a Tuscon owner who drives his cars hard and he loves it.

I also work with a Rendevous owner who was surprised when I told him it was built in Mexico. He's owned it a year now and isn't very impressed.

I have an 03 Chevy Blazer, great for towing not so hot on gas mileage. With the trucks you listed, I know 2 people with Santa Fe's and they are good little trucks, however I think you will have a tough time finding one for under $10,000. I also know some Escape owners and I think that would be your best shot at something in your price range to do the towing( Mazda tribute is the same truck as the Escape.) Hope this helped a bit.