ATV Trailer

4x4bassin

In the next couple months I will be in the market for an atv trailer that holds 2 bikes , does anyone here have any suggestions/experiences

with any ? I,m thinking I might be able to find a good used one soon with hunting seasons coming to an end and guys getting rid of them , if

not a new one will be in the cards.

Thanks

In the next couple months I will be in the market for an atv trailer that holds 2 bikes , does anyone here have any suggestions/experiences

with any ? I,m thinking I might be able to find a good used one soon with hunting seasons coming to an end and guys getting rid of them , if

not a new one will be in the cards.

Thanks

What's your budget? That will determine if you're looking at open or enclosed trailers. At the higher end, a 14'x7' in-line enclosed trailer is perfect. Everything is secure and clean/dry.

What quads are they? I ask because some are longer. Be sure you have their length before you lock in any in-line trailer, and allow some extra length so you're not buying a new trailer if you replace a quad.

If there's no snow soon (and none last year), I think you'll find guys unloading their sleds. If you look, you might find a newish 10', 11' or 12' side-by-side sled trailer with a cover; check the inside height. Almost all will also hold 2 quads. The cover means you can store them outdoors, and they're out of sight, out of mind.

I guess I should of mentioned $$$ , I'm looking at spending max $2000 for a new one so that big triton is out of my range (very nice trailer though) and for a used one who knows.

I will look at the triton lineup today and keep looking for deals ! I will check out some used side by side snowmobile trailers as well.

O ya the bikes are 2 400cc yamahas , mid size .

Thanks

Edited by 4x4bassin

I forgot to mention....

My ATV trailer is from these guys. It is 16' with tandem axles, no brakes. It looks like a long, narrow landscaper's trailer. It tows fine and works OK but I would prefer an enclosed trailer, like the Triton

3cfa5.jpg

With a dual axle trailer you also have to look at if you require yearly safeties on both the tow trailer & tow vehicle.

In most cases with a dual axle trailer it will put you over the weight limit that require the safeties.

I forgot to mention....

My ATV trailer is from these guys. It is 16' with tandem axles, no brakes. It looks like a long, narrow landscaper's trailer. It tows fine and works OK but I would prefer an enclosed trailer, like the Triton

3cfa5.jpg

You say no brakes on that 16' tandem trailer? I'd kinda be wondering about that. Anything over 3000lb needs brakes and that wouldn't leave a lot of cargo weight to put that trailer over.

You say no brakes on that 16' tandem trailer? I'd kinda be wondering about that. Anything over 3000lb needs brakes and that wouldn't leave a lot of cargo weight to put that trailer over.

It's not the actual weight as towed that counts but the registered weight it is registered for.

Generally based on the axle/axles rated capacity.

A trailer with dual axles without brakes seems unlikely if legal.

Edited by Woodsman

I have to be discret when it comes to this board member and let him let the cat out of the bag here if he wants , but he needed some thing that would be able to move a 8'x10' fish hut to the lake and load and unload easy and be able to tow it behind his mini van . So we went to work on it for a couple of weekends together in my shop . We came up with a light weight frame that is 8'x12' and unlike his ski do trailer he was useing before that was a singal axle , on this one we gave him tamdem axles with 12 " wheels with galvanized rims , 5/8 pressure treated ply wood , rollers on the bed as well as roller ramps and a winch post mounted up on the trailer toung at the front . All for some where between 5 & 8 hundred bucks , we have to add up what we spent yet but both of us are sure we did'nt go over his budjet . This was him this past Sunday night as he left my shop and if his smiled would have gotten any bigger his ears would have fallen in his mouth . This is where i get my injoyment ......and thats helping other members out .

Edited by Skipper " D "

The trailer is built specifically for 2 ATVs. It has 2x 1500lb axles and has a net weight rating of 1600lb. The trailer itself weighs less than 1000lb. Gross weight is well below the 3000lb limit.

Inspections apply only to commercial vehicles. Regs are here.

That isn't entirely true. I almost pinched a coil about a year ago after I bought my single axle trailer. The way it was explained to me that some 3/4 tons are close to going over the limit as soon as a trailer is hooked up. Even some 1/2 tons can get tagged by this. There is an exemption for "light duty trailers", under 2800 kg, however even if you're under that, the actual tongue weight must be added to the truck weight and that can put you over. When I took the truck/trailer loaded with the atv to the scales, I was a bit over on total weight, but the light duty exemption covered that. Adding the tongue weight to the actual weight of the truck, I was still under the max registered weight. I know of one fellow who has to get his trailer inspected every year, costs about $130.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/regulations/trailers.shtml

I keep a copy of this exemption along with the weight numbers in the truck just in case I get pulled into an inspection.

Edited by Fisherman

my understanding is you need trailer brakes if the axle weight of your trailer is over 3,000 lbs with the trailer hooked to the truck?

No, it's what the trailer is registered for, it is noted on the registration paper and small plaque on the trailer tongue or body.

Its almost a guarantee if your pulling a tandem axle trailer down any of the 400 series hwys and a green\white sees no yellow sticker then yur in for a ticket.Or any rd for that matter...

Sled\atv tandems are especially watched cause alot of them are not reg'd

Edited by lakerguy

Its almost a guarantee if your pulling a tandem axle trailer down any of the 400 series hwys and a green\white sees no yellow sticker then yur in for a ticket.Or any rd for that matter...

Sled\atv tandems are especially watched cause alot of them are not reg'd

That's ridiculous. There has to be an offence committed, or at least the appearance of an offence.

MTO inspectors know the regs and they know what tow vehicle/trailer combinations are likely to be over the threshold and into the commercial rules. Then they inspect and weigh you.

2 quads on an open tandem behind a sport ute aren't anywhere near the limit and the MOT inspectors know it. And if they did stop a driver of this type of package, there would be no ticket because they would sum the estimated load weight vs GVWR ratings and see there was no offence committed. They're not idiots.

Regulation is GVWR of the truck.. plus the GROSS capacity of the trailer can't go over 4500kg. Doesn't matter what you have in it / on it if you're running black letter plates on your truck... even for personal use. Now if you throw a camper in the box of the pick up.. now the regs don't apply and you have the MTO's blessing to do what you please as to towing. :wallbash: I told the MTO guy at North Bay that had me pulled over with my Lund behind (yellow sticker truck and trailer for the first time in my life) I was going to buy a pup tent and put it in the box of the truck and call it an RV. I don't need all the creature comforts of home!

I say black letter plates because many of the guys here are using their "business" trucks to pull their boats. I've also heard that the MTO has cracked down on anyone over 4500kg truck and trailer, regardless of whether the vehicle is registered personal or business.

Edited by irishfield

That's ridiculous. There has to be an offence committed, or at least the appearance of an offence.

MTO inspectors know the regs and they know what tow vehicle/trailer combinations are likely to be over the threshold and into the commercial rules. Then they inspect and weigh you.

2 quads on an open tandem behind a sport ute aren't anywhere near the limit and the MOT inspectors know it. And if they did stop a driver of this type of package, there would be no ticket because they would sum the estimated load weight vs GVWR ratings and see there was no offence committed. They're not idiots.

Sorry your right :thumbsup_anim:

I guess i should have stated that if your tow vehicle and trailer look to be over than i guess it could happen...

Edited by lakerguy