Guided Muskie Trip w/ my Dad

dustink

Was going to do this yesterday, but didn't get the pics off the camera until this morning.

Here is the journal entry I penned on Saturday night, after a day of Muskie fishing with my father. Enjoy!

---------------------------

Muskie Fishing with Dad

No fish. I'll start with that just to get it out of the way. For Christmas, we'd got dad a 1-day guided Muskie trip on Webster Lake with Mike Hulbert. Webster is one of the best Muskie lakes around, and I was hoping dad could tie into a hog. Regardless it was going to be a great day fishing, as I hadn't been in a boat with him for over 15 years.

The day started with dad at my place at 4:00 AM. We had breakfast at the Huddle House in Markle, and some great early morning conversation. Then is was the 90 minute drive to N. Webster. We met Mike at 6:30. He's young (27) and a complete muskie junkie. He said he caught his first when he was 12 and hasn't caught anything else since. He has a huge 2007 Polar Kraft boat that was loaded including a Lawrence 110 fish finder with huge LCD screen.

Muskie07Trip-1.jpg

We launched and headed onto the lake. They were about 5 other boats already launched. Mike pointed the boats out, and there was a boat from Eastern Ohio, Kentucky, and Northern Wisconsin…all there for the weekend to fish for Muskie. Hard to believe, but Mike said when Webster is on, it's the best Muskie lake he's fished in the country! The lake is stocked by the DNR to control a huge gizzard shad population. The lake doesn't support natural repo (muddy bottom), so the DNR collects eggs every year to keep it going.

We got to our first spot and started fishing about 7:30. Mike rigged up 2 large suckers and dropped them down – we were in about 27' of water. He then handed us each a rod with a large Storm soft bait – when I say large, it's the biggest I've ever thrown – 10". We began casting, and casting, and casting. I found after about 2 hours, your arm just gives up and quits hurting…figuring you're not going to do anything about it. After about 2 hours of nothing we moved to another spot with more bait fish and set-up again.

It was nice standing on the casting deck, just talking to dad. About Muskie, about work, about the new baby, new house….just about life. That's what I wanted from the trip.

About 30 min. into the new spot, the back rod with a sucker starts going off. We pull our stuff in and Mike brings the rod to the front…this fish is dad's. Mike tells dad it's probably a big one (48" +) because it's not running…just sitting there chopping the bait.

Muskie07Trip-2.jpg

Mike gives the rod to dad, and tells him to crank down, and then set the hook up as hard as he can: "Try to come out of your f*****g shoes" Mike says. Dad cranks down, and pulls up hard….nothing.

Muskie07Trip-3.jpg

Dad looks puzzled, Mike is mad. He takes the rod and reels up to reveal a missing sucker. Mike's so anxious to catch this big fish he's got the "Muskie quivers", and is really upset it got away…no one's fault. Dad & I get a good laugh at how bad Mike has it for these fish.

We spend the rest of the day casting and moving. About 8 hours in, Mike said we can stay out as long as we wanted, and he's fine to stay out as long as we wanted. About 3:30, dad said he was done. We headed in and headed home.

Muskie07Trip-4.jpg

Overall, a great day on the water, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Muskie07Trip-5.jpg

Looks like you had a beaut of a day weather wise and as mentioned any time with Pops is time well spent. Were you drifting suckers and casting at the same time? Not trying to stir up anything as I know your regs are different down south. Thanks for the first Muskie report!!!

Cheers,

1leg

Looks like you had a beaut of a day weather wise and as mentioned any time with Pops is time well spent. Were you drifting suckers and casting at the same time? Not trying to stir up anything as I know your regs are different down south. Thanks for the first Muskie report!!!

Cheers,

1leg

Yes, drifting suckers and casting. Believe Mike said the Regs allow 3 rods per angler......

thats is what its all about taking the time great report and atleast ya had some excitement for a min or so it did look and sound like you guys had a great time please make it a to do everyyear or maybe twice once again in the fall they get nice and fat by then