Whats your musky set up?

hotsky

Eventually (soon probably) I'll be ready to pick up a musky rod and reel and was wondering what some of the members were using?

Rod make, model, length?

Reel model, make. Left or right retrieve?

thanks

Edited by Gray_Wolf

I use several different combos for varying applications, but the one I use the most, for bucktails and spinnerbaits, is an 8' medium heavy St. Croix Legend Tournament (split grip) with a 400 series Calcutta TE and 80# PP

After 4 decades of casting for muskies, this is by far the sweetest combo I have ever come across.

Whats your price range? You can spend $150 or $800.

You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to reels. If you plan to use it a lot, you are better off spending more initially, but it will pay off if you buy quality.

My favorite combo is an 8 ft St Croix Legend Tournament paired with a Revo Toro 61, spooled with 80lb Suffix 832.

The Legend rods are amazing... But pricey.

I like Calcuttas TE, 400 or 300 series. Shimano doesn't make them anymore but I'm sure there are still many out there but they are going quick. I picked up a 400 Calcutta B with the intention of using it on a follow-up combo and/or trolling rod. I was surprised how smooth it worked, not like a TE but it is half the cost. I suspect that the B won't stand up to heavy muskie casting use but we'll see. I also use a 300 Shimano Curado DSV. It is a great low profile reel that stands up to muskie lures. Shimano changed it as well (see a pattern here with Shimano?)

Abu and Daiwa both have low profile reels that are suitable for many muskie situations and that is I where I'll be going with any future LP purchases.

A line-counter reel is very handy if you do a lot of trolling, although a permanent marker and a tape measure will turn a round casting reel into a precision trolling set-up and you can spend the money saved on other things.

Rods, I think, for muskie guys, are even more personal then the reels. So all I'll add is that many brands now have technique specific rods and they are all getting longer.

Some things to consider for your set-ups:

Trolling or casting?

Kawartha or Georgian Bay/Nipissing type lakes?

How big of a boat and how high is the casting area relative to the water surface?

Do you have a preferred type of lure that you use?

How big is you car and boat locker??? While a one piece 8 and a half foot rod is great at times it can be a real pain to transport and store.

My favourite set up is a st croix big nasty with a calcutta conquest 401. If you plan on doing a lot of musky fishing, especially casitng, then I would recommend spending the extra money on a calcutta, and getting a st croix LT as they make it a lot easier to fish all day. If you are just going to fish every now and then the shimano compre and okuma evx are nice enough rods for less than half the price. I have heard good things about the okuma isis reel for its price, and the abu 7000 is a classic reel.

As has previously been stated you can spend 250 or 700 on a combo, and I believe you get what you pay for. You can spend less, but I doubt the combo will last.

I'm sure it is! but with the wedding on the way funds are limited. I'm thinking of selling my SKS and ammo for it to buy the new rod. If I do I'll have about $350 to work with. I was looking at Compre or Mojo Muskie rods and no idea on the reels although leaning towards Abu or Shimano. It has to be left hand retrieve tho. I only have 2 reels right now; both spinning (Siena and Symere) and right hand retrieve feels awkward to me.

I use a calcutta b with a 8ft compre, works nice, i hummed over the calcutta te, but figured if issues I could use shimano's reel repair service for 30$ or so, that being said I caught a nice fish on friends st croix legend rod 8 ft heavy, with a shimano tranx and that is a SWEET setup

I'm sure it is! but with the wedding on the way funds are limited. I'm thinking of selling my SKS and ammo for it to buy the new rod. If I do I'll have about $350 to work with.

Musky season ends in a month, why not just keep using whatever your using now and then you'll have 6 months to save some money and have more time to figure out what combo you want. No sense hurrying right now when you don't even know what your after.

Keep an eye on the classified section for this board and you'll see plenty of good musky gear for sale over the next few months.

Abu has a good selection of lefty reels with different price ranges. Shimano does as well, but I would stay away from the Corvalus.

Mojos are a great rod for the money, and paired with a Shimano Cardiff, or an abu, you should be close to your budget. (And yes, longer rods can be a pain to transport, but they make tossing big baits, and fishing all day much easier)

The great Len Hartman once said...

"A rookie musky angler should buy the best gear possible to start... Then go cheap later on... Because an experienced musky angler can overcome obsticles that a rookie cannot..."

$350 should get you a solid combo...

The biggest factor in my opinion is the size of fish where you'll be fishing.... Is it a trophy fishery like Gbay Nippising st clair st lawrence...or more of a numbers fishery like a Kawartha lake (no offense... I wish I had fishing like that some days)...

But a good all around rod would be a 7.5 foot heavy action st croix premier... I have a few of these.... My favorite rods for sure...

As for a reel... Put a few in your hand and see how they feel..... I like my curado 300.... But it cost $300... I also have an Abu Garcia C3 or C4(can't remember wich... It's dark blue)... I paid $69.99 for it and its still going strong after 10 years of walleye, carp, and musky fishing...

I think all of the below makes sense, keep an eye out and get a st croix legend sling blade 8 foot 6 and a Revo toro winch 60 - unbeatable all around combo for casting. Again I am in Kawarthas but this had no problem with big girls at LOTW. Good Luck

I have used the St.Croix rods they are great I will be picking up a 9' this off season. I do like my 9' TI rod but its nothing when compared to a St.Croix that being said I have landed a lot of big fish with it and it handled them great I have put many many many hours on it casting just this year and it has been awesome. I still feel its a good rod for starting out or for a spare but right now its has been my main rod I dont use my Compre or Gander tournament rod's but I feel the length is what I like most. I love the fact that I can do killer figure 8's with out breaking my back.

I agree with most here save a bit on the rod if your going to buy right now and spend the extra on the reel.

I have two Abu GB 7000 reels and love them the white one is my favorite not sure of the model number but its killer.

I did just get what was going to be for the wife a Revo toro winch but after trying it out last weekend I think its mine and she will get a new one next season they are great and can handle big blades as well as bulldogs.

If you can hold off I like what Lew had said just wait as the season is creeping into its last month. You can come out on April 13th to the Muskies Canada Odyssey in St. Catherine's you can try out just about any rod/reel combo and feel them together they will have good prices also.

Good luck in your choice.

I agree with the above comments. Don't cheap out.

I have a St. Croix Premier 8' with Abu Garcia Revo Toro winch. I love it. I am picking up another combo this off season and I am going to get another St. Croix, either a premier or if I can afford it a legend. I will be matching it with a Curator 301e.

i bought a cheap combo a few years ago when i just got into musky fishing that is still going strong.

7ft Berkeley Tactix rod, that i paid like $50. its done the job, but im looking to upgrade for next year. something longer and lighter. i really like the Legend tournament, but dont like the price tag.

Quantum Cabo CBC31 reel. got it for under $200 taxes in, due to it being discontinued.

i wanted low profile LH, i was going to go with this or the Revo Toro 61, but this was cheaper, and rated for salt water use (to use on a travel rod)

currently using 80lb PP super slick

next combo will be longer rod (maybe 8' - 8'6") and lower gear ratio 5.0:1 preferably

I wouldn't go selling your things to buy musky gear until you have experienced musky and know you're into that type of fishing.

Totally agree with this comment.Its not for everyone. I suggest used equipment for the begining.there are/has been some great deals in the classifeds on this site. If you are really into it, get the best you can.If not, the money is better used on tackle for your other species.

Eventually (soon probably) I'll be ready to pick up a musky rod and reel and was wondering what some of the members were using?

Rod make, model, length?

Reel model, make. Left or right retrieve?

thanks

I'm not picky, it depends really who's boat I am in and what gear they have. :)