thinking about a new outboard

tomO

I have a 94 25 hp. mercury on my old jon boat and have been thinking of upgrading. I've been real happy with this one but thinking of getting one with electric start and maybe a 4 stroke . I like the shifter on the handle just turn for reverse or foward. I can run about 22 mph.with 2 guys in the boat now , but was wondering are the 4 strokes as fast as the 2 cycles? might go up to a 30hp. thx

Keep in mind that the 4 strokes are a lot heavier than your older 2 stroke.

The 30hp Mercs we had up at the lodge needed 2 people in order to man handle them on and off the boats. They were also bolted on and not just clamped on with the clamps like on your old motor.

What is the max HP rating on the plaquard on your boat?

Remember that if you get a larger motor you may have issues getting the boat to slow down enough if you troll with your boat.

The boat is 42 years old and has no plaquard I've been told by a marine mech. that I could go larger the transom is welded aluminum on the corners with wood behind it. Right now my motor trolls down to 1 mph. I know the 4 strokes are heavier mine is a little over 100 lbs I believe. Are they as fast on top end as the 2 cycles.

I have a 94 25 hp. mercury on my old jon boat and have been thinking of upgrading. I've been real happy with this one but thinking of getting one with electric start and maybe a 4 stroke . I like the shifter on the handle just turn for reverse or foward. I can run about 22 mph.with 2 guys in the boat now, but was wondering are the 4 strokes as fast as the 2 cycles? might go up to a 30hp. thx

Your 94 25 hp. 2 stroke weighs about 112 lbs.

A new 25/30 hp. 4 stroke weighs 157 to 167 lbs. Depending on electric start/power trim amd tilt/long or short shaft etc.

If you have a 15" transom (short shaft engine) the added weigth could be a serious problem.

Quick stops and you'll have water sloshing in over the transom and into the boat

I recently went from a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke to a 20 Yamaha 4 stroke. Identical weights. 114 lbs.

The four stroke takes longer to get up on plane. However the top speeds are identical.

22 mph two guys and our gear. Three guys and it falls off to about 17 or 18 mph.

14' deep v that weighs 315 lbs empty.

Hope this helps.

Your 94 25 hp. 2 stroke weighs about 112 lbs.

A new 25/30 hp. 4 stroke weighs 157 to 167 lbs. Depending on electric start/power trim amd tilt/long or short shaft etc.

If you have a 15" transom (short shaft engine) the added weigth could be a serious problem.

Quick stops and you'll have water sloshing in over the transom and into the boat

I recently went from a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke to a 20 Yamaha 4 stroke. Identical weights. 114 lbs.

The four stroke takes longer to get up on plane. However the top speeds are identical.

22 mph two guys and our gear. Three guys and it falls off to about 17 or 18 mph.

14' deep v that weighs 315 lbs empty.

Hope this helps.

Cronz, you still pushing those Yamies :whistling: Honda all the way :D See you at the Straitline Meeting :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

Cronz, you still pushing those Yamies :whistling: Honda all the way :D See you at the Straitline Meeting :good:

Cronz?????????

You got the wrong number buddy!

As for the Straightline meeting, good luck with that.

Got a belly full of Darryl years ago at the "Fishermans Evenings" he did for the Dofasco Fishing Club years ago.

He had a great magazine and entertaining television show. As far as going out and spending money to listen to him rant,

I'll pass thanks.

Cronz?????????

You got the wrong number buddy!

As for the Straightline meeting, good luck with that.

Got a belly full of Darryl years ago at the "Fishermans Evenings" he did for the Dofasco Fishing Club years ago.

He had a great magazine and entertaining television show. As far as going out and spending money to listen to him rant,

I'll pass thanks.

You have his Board name :whistling::D

Come on, give the guy another chance :D

Better than sitting home watching the tube :D

You have his Board name :whistling::D

Come on, give the guy another chance :D

Better than sitting home watching the tube :D

Didn't think that was possible. Two people with the same board name.

Chronzey with a 14' tinner with a 20 or a 25 on it.

Not likely.

I see Darryl often on the Saugeen. We had mutual friends back in the 80's. We often rubbed elbows on several Ontario tribs way back when.

Good guy in his own right.

This thing with how everybody at the MNR is doing everything wrong. Imprinting. Fin clipping.

Fish rearing. Stocking programs. Atlantic program. I've heard it all way too many times. Don't need to spend money. I'm sure I'll hear it all again the next time I run into him on the Saugeen.

I give the guy credit. He's done a lot for the sport. Just heard the "same old same old" too many times.

As far as the tube goes, I don't watch much of that either. It too is "same old same old".

Here's a little brain teaser for you. I didn't realize it until I saw your post about winning the Caledonia Anglers and Hunters Derby but we went to school together.

Can't remember if it was public school(Memorial) or high school. Maybe even both.

50's and 60's is a long time ago.

Guess who???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"I have a 94 25 hp. mercury on my old jon boat and have been thinking of upgrading. I've been real happy with this one but thinking of getting one with electric start and maybe a 4 stroke . I like the shifter on the handle just turn for reverse or foward. I can run about 22 mph.with 2 guys in the boat now , but was wondering are the 4 strokes as fast as the 2 cycles? might go up to a 30hp. thx"

If your boat is fast enough now then the new 25hp 4 stroke will be the same with the right prop. The 30hp would be better if you haul a load once in a while. Some 25 are the same weight as the 30. You would gain 4mph or so.

:)

Didn't think that was possible. Two people with the same board name.

Here's a little brain teaser for you. I didn't realize it until I saw your post about winning the Caledonia Anglers and Hunters Derby but we went to school together.

Can't remember if it was public school(Memorial) or high school. Maybe even both.

50's and 60's is a long time ago.

Guess who?????

Cronz Board name on the Spoonpullers Board is Kwikfish, Thats what made me think he came over to OFC :dunno::D

Now you got me, :wallbash: There's only a few people I can remember from Memorial 50's early 60's

I've got to get the old school pictures out :D I thought I was the only one left on this side of the Sod :)

Edited by Fish Farmer