GM rated near the top by Consumer Reports

Billy Bob

Toyota's unintended acceleration issue was no more real than was Audi's in the 80's. Here's the NASA report

Tell that to the CHP officer and his family who are dead because their Lexus had unintended acceleration. Or perhaps one the Big 3 sabotaged their car?

Edited by BillM

You do know that the case of the "sticking gas pedal" was proven to be 100% user error, don't you? No mechanical problems were found.

If there was ever a case of conflict of interest, it was this one, the American government, part owner of the big 3 NA auto makers leading an investigation into problems with a rival auto maker. As the sales stats show above, it looks like it backfired.

Actually Billy M you might need to apologize to the "Big Guy"...as he's really right......As I do remember this on our World News about a year or so ago....of course it was a VERY short report admitting that Toyota was right all along....here's one of the FEW articles every written about it...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/08/autos/nhtsa_nasa_toyota_final_report/index.htm

Actually Billy M you might need to apologize to the "Big Guy"...as he's really right......As I do remember this on our World News about a year or so ago....of course it was a VERY short report admitting that Toyota was right all along....here's one of the FEW articles every written about it...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/08/autos/nhtsa_nasa_toyota_final_report/index.htm

8 million recalled vehicles and 50 million in fines sound like innocence to you?

:whistling: :whistling:

With every vehicle it comes to the "bottom line".....and that is where Honda and Toyota excel EVERY time....check the trade in values for any Dodge, GM or Ford in the same model size vehicle to a Honda and Toyota and the Toyota and Honda will bring a MUCH better trade in / resale value EVERY TIME.....GEE...I wonder why....

But either way you choose....please PLAY nice... :)

Drive SAFE,..(in the middle lane)

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

8 million recalled vehicles and 50 million in fines sound like innocence to you?

:whistling: :whistling:

So you're completely ignoring the report from NHTSA and NASA because it doesn't conform to your opinion because you like GM.... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

GOOD IDEA... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited to add it case you (BillM) didn't read all of the article...

But NHTSA also mentioned another possible cause: drivers pushing the gas instead of the brakes.

Many drivers may have confused the gas and brake pedals a problem that may account for "the vast majority" of the unintended acceleration incidents the agency investigated, NHTSA deputy administrator Ron Medford said at Tuesday's NHTSA press briefing.

"What mostly happened was pedal misapplication where the driver stepped on the gas instead of the brake or in addition to the brake," Medford said.

OH...forgot to add this part too...

This summer, NHTSA released the results of some investigations into Toyota sudden acceleration incidents. Those investigations specifically looked into 58 alleged unintended acceleration cases. These investigations suggested that drivers themselves may have been partly at fault.

But I'm sure this is NOT even good enough for those Toyota haters..... :whistling:

Edited by Billy Bob

Toyota handed out almost 50 million dollars for an issue that was never an issue according to them. People died man, or are you ignoring that as well? You think that CHP officer was pressing the gas instead of the brake as him and his family barreled down the highway to their deaths?

I'm not a Toyota hater at all, I just think the way they handled the entire issue is unbelievable.

Oh BTW, is your truck in the current 7.4 million vehicle recall for the faulty window switches? I'm sure if people start lighting themselves on fire Toyota will tell everyone they must have been smoking in the car.

:whistling:

Toyota handed out almost 50 million dollars for an issue that was never an issue according to them. People died man, or are you ignoring that as well? You think that CHP officer was pressing the gas instead of the brake as him and his family barreled down the highway to their deaths?

I'm not a Toyota hater at all, I just think the way they handled the entire issue is unbelievable.

Oh BTW, is your truck in the current 7.4 million vehicle recall for the faulty window switches? I'm sure if people start lighting themselves on fire Toyota will tell everyone they must have been smoking in the car.

:whistling:

THERE YOU GO AGAIN....IGNORING THE NHTSA and NASA reports that is was INDEED DRIVERS ERROR....you read the report....YES...so it doesn't fit your means you elect to ignore it....just admit that you will never again have me address this.

Hey Billy, when you 1st posted this thread, everyone knew you were just leading up to one more of your very predictable, extremely boring and always tedious posts about your Tundra and as always, you came through with flying colours. :sleeping_02: :sleeping_02:

Hey Billy, when you 1st posted this thread, everyone knew you were just leading up to one more of your very predictable, extremely boring and always tedious posts about your Tundra and as always, you came through with flying colours. :sleeping_02: :sleeping_02:

So, no you're wrong....I may be wrong, but I don't remember mentioning my truck once here... :whistling:

Tell that to the CHP officer and his family who are dead because their Lexus had unintended acceleration. Or perhaps one the Big 3 sabotaged their car?

I'm tempted to believe he hit the cruise button by mistake :P...even like that, brakes should have saved them, hard to believe the car would still accelerate with the brake applied...something funky there :P

sounds like you've never owned one :P...stupid thing is that in N America for some reason they come with less power, my jetta has 100hp here, 130 in Europe, newer models have 140hp here, 175 in Europe...and I drove one in Germany, it's flying ;)

and btw...I'm pulling my Lund with my Jetta barely feeling it :P

Currently own a 98, drove dads 2000/2001 and 2004 when I was a youngster. Getting into a 2013 in 3 weeks.

Never towed with any of them. What size of boat are you towing? I am tempted to throw a hitch on my new Passat when I get it but I know insurance wouldn't cover me if something happened as tow rating would be exceeded. Something you should think about too if your rig is over 1000lb ;)

My '05 Jetta TDI makes about 180whp/330ftlbs as it sits. Stock they are gutless, but they respond to mods extremely well. Even a stock PD ('04-'06) with just a tune (ECU upgrade) will gain around 40hp/70ftlbs.

Pretty impressive bud. The first thing that came to mind when I read your above post is a video I saw on youtube called "do you smoke". Make sure you got your speakers on. I am positive your car is capable of doing that given the specs you list above :lol:. Search it up on youtube and report back with your thoughts, its worth your time if your up for a laugh :thumbsup_anim:. Sorry, Youtube is blocked at work so I can't provide a link.

How has it held up with all that power? It must RIP.

Pretty impressive bud. The first thing that came to mind when I read your above post is a video I saw on youtube called "do you smoke". Make sure you got your speakers on. I am positive your car is capable of doing that given the specs you list above :lol:. Search it up on youtube and report back with your thoughts, its worth your time if your up for a laugh :thumbsup_anim:. Sorry, Youtube is blocked at work so I can't provide a link.

How has it held up with all that power? It must RIP.

My PD doesn't smoke at all, even under WOT. I am actually going to get my tuner to turn up the fuel a bit. My old car which was a rotary pump engine (ALH) making similar power numbers would black out 3 lanes of traffic, lol!!!

Ya, i get the point of it alright.

Import vehicules are way over priced for what you get.You get far more bang for the buck in a domestic.Especially now in the 2010s and newer.I happen to like Ford and Dodge.They are both at the leading edge of automobile technology, and can not be beat for reliability and service.

added

Oh ya...i wouldnt buy a GM if my life depended on itwhistling.gif

import cars are worth every penny as the used car market proves which brands last in the long run and hold their value. when you're talking about cars the imports annihilate the big 3 in high mileage durability and make the higher initial investment very much worth it. by high mileage i mean 200k+.

unlike their cars, big 3 trucks seem to hold up well as long as you take care of them. i wanted a tundra, but i have a purdy dodge.

i haven't a clue about mini vans, nor do i even want to think about owning one any time soon :thumbsup_anim:

Find me the article that states all those unintended acceleration issues were due to user error... I'll save you the hassle, you can't. But feel free to prove otherwise.

You probably believe 9/11 was a government conspiracy as well eh? The tinfoil hat crowd is strong on this board.

While it seems that not all of the incidents were human error, the vast majority were.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/07/14/report-many-of-toyota%E2%80%99s-acceleration-problems-due-to-driver-error/

However, the bigger issue for me is/was, why was the US government involved in this issue anyway. Don't worry about answering, we all know the answer. As for your promotion of the US government as the saviour to all things bad and scary, well that's another issue all together.

While it seems that not all of the incidents were human error, the vast majority were.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/07/14/report-many-of-toyota%E2%80%99s-acceleration-problems-due-to-driver-error/

However, the bigger issue for me is/was, why was the US government involved in this issue anyway. Don't worry about answering, we all know the answer. As for your promotion of the US government as the saviour to all things bad and scary, well that's another issue all together.

So Toyota issued a massive recall and had to pay out 50mil just because? The government was most likely involved because people died, I'm not to sure why that was so hard for you to figure out.

Edited by BillM

The freedom that you have to express your opinion and bash the US Government that has saved/prevented many "evils" in the world is one you will never thank me for. Please use this privilege wisely it cost me Time, Money, and the blood of fellow servicemen.

Art

The United States Navy SeaBees

The freedom that you have to express your opinion and bash the US Government that has saved/prevented many "evils" in the world is one you will never thank me for. Please use this privilege wisely it cost me Time, Money, and the blood of fellow servicemen.

Art

The United States Navy SeaBees

Now, now, my Father was in the military for 25 years, served in Egypt and so was my brother-in-law, served in Cyprus and Lebanon and his son currently is and has served in Afghanistan. So, let's not get into that, I very much appreciate the sacrifice given by the men and women of all nations, that's not what I meant and you know it. However, let's not bury our head in the sand here by suggesting that the government is always right and isn't above creating a little evil of their own, no government is.

So Toyota issued a massive recall and had to pay out 50mil just because? The government was most likely involved because people died, I'm not to sure why that was so hard for you to figure out.

Yes, yes, they were involved because people died, that has to be it for sure and that has to be the only reason... right?

Don't you think it was a conflict of interest, regardless of the reason(s) for them being involved?

I wish one company was truly that much better than the rest...at least deciding on a vehicle would be easier. I am most likely going to buy a used truck as early as tomorrow and the more I look and read, the more confusing it gets. I had a Toyota 4Runner I bought new back in 1989 and drove it for 16 years before I sold it and the guy drove it away! I bought two Fords in the last 8 years as a feble attempt to buy domestic. One was a Windstar and the one I have now in an Explorer. Need I say more? The reality is though that my experience with Toyota or the Fords has zero impact on what the next Toyota or Ford would be like if I bought one. So I'm back at square one and I have to "best guess" what I buy next. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2009 GMC Sierra SLT Crew with a 5.3 Ltr. Good? bad? Who the hell knows...All I know is spending 20-30 grand and hoping its not crap sucks.

I drive a Crapler Caravan and I love it. Why, because is cheap and I can abuse it.

I can't imagine another car better to go fishing (plenty of room).

Ah, later and the toyota and the rest of the herd try to copy the concept. But so far the Crapler has the top of units sold.

Why? Why? Why?

Because a smart guy said once: The quality is in numbers.

How the heck is that? Let me explain suckers.

In WWII best tank built was the german Tiger. Pice of art.

But in spite of the best tank the germans did not win the batle of Kursk (bigest ever battle as tanks number) and the war.

Because the quality is in numbers. That was said by Stalin. And indeed, in some case the 'quality' is in numbers.

So if you have nothing to do with your cash spend it on expensive cars and brave all the time that yours is shine and better that mine.

I have my path, not always more expensive is better. And ultimately all the cars Toyota or Crapler in 10 years end up in scrap yard.

But I paid less and the suckers more.

Same story with the phones and all the comercial crap. Buy premium gasoline becasue is better for the pockets of the oil companies.

Just seen to documentary on CBC (premium gas is just for a specific segment of cars and is a way to milk more money from suckers).

So in conclusion here is the sucker that likes the Crapler that don't give a crap on the shinier cars that any way will end up as rust in few years.

Those one are for kids and teenagers.

Have fun.