anybody ever owned one of these?

northernpike56

Anyone ever owned/driven one of these? thinking of dropping a couple grand on one next summer just to race around in some local lakes. It's small enough that I think I could tow it with my moms mazda 3, keep it in the garage, and it goes reallly fast..

EDIT: here's another clip:

Edited by northernpike56

Teenage buddy had one similar in the early sixties, pretty sure the plans came from the old Mechanics Illustrated mag. That looks like a step up from what he had, like Irish says we were fine with a 10 horse on the back but one day we clamped on a 18, and that was wild , had to beach it to stop or you would sink :w00t: OHH!! the one he had was called a Sea Flea, lots of info if you google it. He and his dad built it in the garage, rounded bottom from memory not a tunnel.

Had one as a kid that my brother built. Keep in mine.. when you stop suddenly.. they transom swamp and sink! :oops:

Been there and done that... :wallbash:

Teenage buddy had one similar in the early sixties, pretty sure the plans came from the old Mechanics Illustrated mag. That looks like a step up from what he had, like Irish says we were fine with a 10 horse on the back but one day we clamped on a 18, and that was wild , had to beach it to stop or you would sink :w00t: OHH!! the one he had was called a Sea Flea, lots of info if you google it. He and his dad built it in the garage, rounded bottom from memory not a tunnel.

I too had a 'sea-flea' and it went like a bat outa hell with even an 8HP on it. My top speed was 22mph in it and I was 5'10 (or so) and about 175lb's. Mine was a flat bottom and the only 'pontoons' on it were at the front on both sides. also look up "pickel fork" boat design as two of my uncles build and raced these. in fact 1 of them in the Mansfield area might still have one. :unsure:

one last thing, if the motor cannot get you up on plane quick then it's time for an upgrade as you can swamp yourself or even flip it due to the back end dropping. you want to get almost on the bow asap to get it on plane.

my dad built one as a kid. It's on the bottom of 6-mile lake somewhere.

The neighbour at the cottage has one as well. runs a tricked out OMC 15 hp. The motor is heavily modified, but the guy boasts that it will run 50 - 60 mph...

one last thing, if the motor cannot get you up on plane quick then it's time for an upgrade as you can swamp yourself or even flip it due to the back end dropping. you want to get almost on the bow asap to get it on plane.

the one I found has a 20 hp johnson on it

Edited by northernpike56

A good friend of mine had one in the 70's with a 15 on it. He hit a stump with it , he was ejected but the boat went airborn, 5 feet up into a tree on shore ,with the moter still running, It never went back in the water again.

How did they even end up 'catching' the boat?

Edited by northernpike56