Cabela's Depthmaster Trolling Reels

Stoty

I used one for two weeks and a 45lb Catfish ate the gears out of it. I had another one and sent it to GBW I am not sure how much life he has gotten out of it. I think the main issue was the body of the reel flexed to much and let the gears separate and jammed. I would think for smaller fish that don't have the shoulders of the big cats would be good for a season.

I have switched to okuma reels non metered and have nothing but praise for them. I paid around $145 each and IO run 5 of them for 2 seasons with no issues.

Art

Stay away from the depthmaster II. The Gold and Metal seemed to be very prominent on the walleye boats on the PWT Lake Erie tournaments. My buddy was down fishing as a co-angler and noticed them everywhere. I haven't tried them as yet but have been pondering the Metal but it seems to never go on sale

Believe those reels are made by Diawa Stoty, and having a Sealine and one Depthmaster, they're pretty close.

Bought one 5 years ago for $39.99 on sale and it's made two trips to Great Bear to handle lakers there and a dozen plus trips to Quinte. Can't beat that for what it's given back and it's still working fine.

Maybe I just got a good one in the batch for a change.

They're both on sale now. Get the gold at least. That $34 special will just ruin an outing for you.

That's why I'm debating on trying them out. Just not sure what they're like.

Believe those reels are made by Diawa Stoty, and having a Sealine and one Depthmaster, they're pretty close.

Bought one 5 years ago for $39.99 on sale and it's made two trips to Great Bear to handle lakers there and a dozen plus trips to Quinte. Can't beat that for what it's given back and it's still working fine.

Maybe I just got a good one in the batch for a change.

Thanks for the feedback Moose!

I've been running diawa accudepth plus linecounter reels for a while now... The first one I bought was a size 27 for trolling musky... Never had any issues.... I now own 8 accudepth plus line counters and use them for walleye as well as musky... Still no issues.... I think they are between $59.99 and $69.99

The wife should be ok with that price...lol ... Mine was....

Cabelas are actually made by okuma.

Check out the new Okuma Coldwater trolling reels. The "ole" round style (tekota, convectors, abus) reels are good, however the new drop down gear case allows a bigger drag in a smaller frame. Alot of trollers up the size of their round reels to get the bigger drag.

Edited by Harrison

Cabelas are actually made buy okuma.

Check out the new Okuma Coldwater trolling reels. The "ole" round style reels are good, however the new drop down gear case allows a bigger drag in a smaller frame.

Any idea when left handers are available?

I'm only trolling for Walleye.... I dont do Salmon/Trout, so the Tekota 300's are perfect for what I need them for.

Now...hopefully I can slow my boat down enough with a pair of drift socks! That's my next challenge! LOL