Lake Erie sturgeon

ch312

Amazing catch for sure... and to have landed it so quickly.

I have a question, and do not laugh... no one, and that means you ... whoever you are with the grin on your face!

Never having caught a sturgeon I am wondering what it's skin feels like? Is it soft and smooth like that of a channel cat or is it rough like the skin you would find on a shark or a sailfish? They are a truly unique fish , so I just wondered if their skin was scales or if it was not?

No laughing!:)

Are there like ,4-5 guys holding it? if so,I have that some where here.

YES! please post it if you can find it. :thumbsup_anim: the headline was something along the lines of "ok, where's the chips" :D

someone else caught a sturgeon in the same water and same area last week and got his picture in the paper. i'm assuming it's the same fish, but we'll never know. it would have been cool to get my pic in the paper with a sturgeon just like the old man did 20 years ago.

smooth and silky.....no scales

yep, but i did receive a couple cuts on my hand after tailing the fish and didn't realize until after that it was probably from those little nubs on the fish.

Nice surprise for sure :thumbsup_anim:B) Now just imagine hooking that same fish on ice, thru an 8" hole :w00t: I experience this a few years ago in my hard water fishing debut and sturgeon was 49" long and ice was 30" thick :) I have a pic somewhere, when I find it will post it :)

TJunkie

YES! please post it if you can find it. the headline was something along the lines of "ok, where's the chips"

I have been looking for it Scott,but my collection has been through both hands of my sons. :wallbash:

I remember it so clearly. Sorry I couldnt find it.

Edited by Misfish

Never having caught a sturgeon I am wondering what it's skin feels like? Is it soft and smooth like that of a channel cat or is it rough like the skin you would find on a shark or a sailfish?

Smoother than fish scales, maybe not as smooth as a catfish though. Rub the hand backwards on the fish it's a little leathery but overall smooth. The scutes along the back can be razor sharp though. Generally, the smaller the fish the sharper the scutes... they must get worn down in time or just dullen as they grow in size. Best to tail them as far back on the tail as you can, and if it's a big fish grab right inside of the mouth too. You can "log roll" from the water into your arms this way. lol. You won't get under a gill plate easy or at all.

I've never eaten sturgeon... kinda wished I tried it up north as a good few people there do. Had one girl in the ER have an allergic reaction specific to eating sturgeon, her father thought she may have got some "belly meat" off the fish. Was there to see one filetted by a Native fella... because the fishes body has no bones, but instead just cartilage like a shark, the knife sliced through the meat and cartilage with ease.

Awesome fish !! clapping.gif

I would maybe not take a pic next time though.Endangered species and all.

Still a very interesting catch on lite gear.

trust me, the fish was out of the water for less time than it took to type this sentence and was treated with the respect it deserved.

unfortunately the same can't be said for the other guy that caught what appears to be the same fish as the pic shows him holding the fish by the gill plates for his pic :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I have been looking for it Scott,but my collection has been through both hands of my sons. :wallbash:

I remember it so clearly. Sorry I couldnt find it.

brian, thanks for looking. i'll go see the old man this week sometime to see if he can dig it up so i can post it for you guys.