Wing less bb weights or split shot

davey buoy

Other than a couple line tangles,I guess that is why some of you guys use wingless bb weights for float fishing. Went to a ct store and two small tackle stores and they all have the same. Will have to hit a bigger store for them but do you think it is really necessary?

I have loads of winged ones. Just trying to put the odds in my favor a bit, if it's a better option.

Thanks Dave.

Edited by davey buoy

Thanks guys, I'll try and get some,but they can be a bugger to get off. Sometimes the easiest things aren't the best.

They're not meant to come off Dave, once expired slide them together and tuck them in a pocket for proper disposal.

decent price if they're soft shot

I like using sure short, blackbird makes good shot too...pinch them on lightly too, will adjust easier without damaging your leader

What would be the difference other than the obvious?, "better" or just a personal preference as you say. Thanks.

Wingless BB size are $3.49 for 150 at BPS if you're the area.

I did buy some their and they were not very consistent in the cut, not in the centre, making most of them close to the edge more, and therefore falling off easily, bout 3 packs and they were all the same, might have been a QA problem, or a bad lot, but im sticking to Water Gremlins, and allowing them to tarnish as always to remove the shininess from them.

I did buy some their and they were not very consistent in the cut, not in the centre, making most of them close to the edge more, and therefore falling off easily, bout 3 packs and they were all the same, might have been a QA problem, or a bad lot, but im sticking to Water Gremlins, and allowing them to tarnish as always to remove the shininess from them.

I'm using water gremlins also,but their winged. Very soft and easy to squeeze. Now you have me thinking,maybe try JB's or Le Barons for the wingless ones.

Thanks guys, I'll try and get some,but they can be a bugger to get off. Sometimes the easiest things aren't the best.

If you have nails on your fingers (which is why I keep some growth during float fishing season) and use water gremlins, you can squeeze the nail of your thumb and index finger into the gap on each side and open them back up again. I do it all the time and save a lot of shots.

If you don't have nails, then you're likely out of luck.

Does anybody else have trouble putting those small shots on the line? I have trouble seeing the slit and I usually have to hold them with needle-nose pliers. It's bit bit awkward and I still spoil a lot. Anyone have a slick method of putting the shots on the line?

Yep....reading glasses... :whistling: