A question for the pin users

misfish

In the future I want to get an off set reel,but right now it,s not in the budget. My question is,if there a way to add some distance from the reel seat to the reel? I would like to be able to hold the reel more comfortably. Can you buy an attachment? I have the Okuma raw and the SST2.Right now I hold the reel in my palm. Hope that make sense.

Edited by Misfish

In the future I want to get an off set reel,but right now it,s not in the budget. My question is,if there a way to add some distance from the reel seat to the reel? I would like to be able to hold the reel more comfortably. Can you buy an attachment? I have the Okuma raw and the SST2.Right now I hold the reel in my palm. Hope that make sense.

Interesting question,that's how much your ahead of me. That thought,I'm no where near that ,not even close . lol.:w00t:.

It's all about the size of your hands. At one time Angling Outfitters in Woodstock had a machinist that was making a spacer that went between the reel foot and the backing plate. I think they were primarily for Islander reels. Many complained that their hands were cramping up while fishing. On the other hand an offset like the Spahr or Ang Spec can go too far the other way. For many, they too are very uncomfortable.

that's how much your ahead of me

Dave,Im no where near these guys that have been doing it for years. Thats the reason for the question.

Have you fished one yet?

No Mike I have not. Looking at one,I thought it would be more comfortable to use. Kind of like a spinning reel,sorta a speak.Thanks for the offering.

At one time Angling Outfitters in Woodstock had a machinist that was making a spacer that went between the reel foot and the backing plate.

A spacer,I can have made up in the shop here. Might be the way to go,to see if I like that extra space.

Many complained that their hands were cramping up while fishing.

That,s one thing I find with me. The finger I use to control the spin and for hookset,had a nail go through it when I was younger. It,s a killer in the cold.

don't like them visually or functionally.

Functionally? Why is that Chris?

Edited by Misfish

Brian, there's a few reel builders in Ontario that may be able to do a one off reel foot for a price.

I own a couple reels with an off-set reel foot. Things I like about them:

1. I'm not a fan of reels with short feet (eg. Riverkeeper) - I find my hands start cramping up after a couple hours of use.

2. In winter, a good portion of my hand is off the back plate. I know some guys dress their backplate with sheet cork so their hands don't get as cold - TBH, I hate the look of sheet cork glued on the back of a $500+ reel.

3. Over the course of a day, I am able to switch up the way that I hold the rod + reel. There's a lot of guys out there that have developed the "centrepin claw" with their hands.LOL

Things I don't like

1. Off-set reel feet add additional weight to the reel.

2. If you're wallis casting and get a bird's nest, it may be harder to undo the nest with the off-set (debatable depending on the situation of course)

Some myths about off-set reel feet:

1. They balance on the rod better - No they don't, unless you custom build your rod to accommodate the off-set foot

2. Off-set feet are only for people with bigger hands - I have smallish hands and love the off-set.

When I'm up in your neck of the woods in the future, I'll let you have a go with my AngSpec.

Crap, I wish I knew you wanted an offset Brian, I could have let you fish my AngSpec before I got rid of it so you could have at least tried one out.. I really liked that reel, but the small reel foots on the Frogwater and the Paine Falls are so much more comfortable for me.. Perhaps a simple change of technique would do the trick?

2. In winter, a good portion of my hand is off the back plate. I know some guys dress their backplate with sheet cork so their hands don't get as cold - TBH, I hate the look of sheet cork glued on the back of a $500+ reel.

Great info Mike.

Although mine are not in that price range,I still couldnt put a cork backing,or even a tape backing.Why waste the re sale value.IMO

Plus I like the bling bling. :D

Lets hook up soon. Here or down your way.

When I'm up in your neck of the woods in the future, I'll let you have a go with my AngSpec.

Your pin is what got me asking this question. Did you get the sand out of it? :oops:

Crap, I wish I knew you wanted an offset Brian, I could have let you fish my AngSpec before I got rid of it so you could have at least tried one out.. I really liked that reel, but the small reel foots on the Frogwater and the Paine Falls are so much more comfortable for me.. Perhaps a simple change of technique would do the trick?

Bill,I,m still trying to stop drooling from that new pin you showed me.Dang,that,s a sweet pin.

Lets get out, and you can give me some advanced pointers.

Edited by Misfish

B try fishing under your reel as opposed to over it and use your thumb to control it...this might mean youll have to move your reel up the cork for balance though...If you have a fixed seat youll just have to get used to the "new" feel of the rod

Ok, you lost me,,,,,,,,,

I have sliding rings. Im still trying to find the sweet spot,for a fixed seat.Once I do,I,ll be having one made.

Ok, you lost me,,,,,,,,,

I have sliding rings. Im still trying to find the sweet spot,for a fixed seat.Once I do,I,ll be having one made.

Look at Spiels avatar...he is fishing above the reel... you can move your hand under the reel and use your thumb to control the flow of the reel

like this

DSC_7125_zpsea8ce8f9.jpg

We use foam tape. I use my ole stanton in the cold, she isn't the prettiest anymore but she can tell some stories.

B try fishing under your reel as opposed to over it and use your thumb to control it...this might mean youll have to move your reel up the cork for balance though...If you have a fixed seat youll just have to get used to the "new" feel of the rod

Great technique for winter pinning!! Good advice Dave.

I've punch too many hockey helmets in the past, I am almost 100% spinning now in the winter unfortunately.

Brutal "Centrepin Claw" as MJL put it! lol

Edited by Harrison

Two ways to beat "centerpin claw" (love that term, btw):

1. I have an old Tournament Drifter with foam on the back plate. It's my "winter" reel. Ugly, but comfortable.

2. I use this with a specific "winter rod" that has a handle built from much thicker cork than normal. It's a lot more comfortable to hold in the cold weather.

Not the prettiest approach, but it's effective.

The way I was taught to hold my reel was to hold the rod with my thumb and forefinger place my next finger on the line and my last two fingers on the back of the reel . I look at others and say ,that looks more comfortable than the way I hold it, but when I try it ,it feels weird and I revert to my original method.

Edited by staffman

Look at Spiels avatar...he is fishing above the reel... you can move your hand under the reel and use your thumb to control the flow of the reel

like this

DSC_7125_zpsea8ce8f9.jpg

Wasnt able to see the pic earlier Dave. Man that looks uncomfortable,but will try it. I like the way the butt of the handle is supported by the forearm.

The way I was taught to hold mu reel was to hold the rod with my thumb and forefinger place my next finger on the line and my last two fingers on the back of the reel

Ya that,s pretty much the way I am,but lay most of the back on my palm.

1. I have an old Tournament Drifter with foam on the back plate. It's my "winter" reel. Ugly, but comfortable.

But the foam detracts from pictures of steelhead with the reel laying next to it. It’s obvious that Mojo & respect from other fishermen (particularly those on online message boards) is lost. 5/4 Facebook users belonging to float fishing groups agree :D

like this

DSC_7125_zpsea8ce8f9.jpg

Brian, that’s pretty similar to the way my British steelheading mentors taught me when I was a kid. In use though (at least for most European float fishermen), the majority of the time, the reel is face up during the drift (ie spool face pointing up and backplate pointing to the ground or at an angle close to it). Instead of trotting with your pinky finger, you use your thumb to slow down the spool during the drift. It’s easier on the wrist if you tuck the butt end of the rod underneath your arm pit (you do require a fairly long butt grip with this method). The key is to try to keep your wrist as straight as possible. A bent wrist carrying a load causes fatigue after a while.

Well I tried that hold Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Very uncomfortable,for me anyways. I,ll stick with my palm hold for now. When I fish with someone with an off set seat,I,ll try it to see if I like it or not.

While I was holding the rod,I can see where the term,center pin claw,came from. LOL

Edited by Misfish