I love boots.

BillM

tongue.gif

Why do they call it a BOOT?...looks like a salmondunno.gif

It's a term that elitist steelheaders created to separate themselves from the hordes of snag-happy idiots that come out when the salmon run starts, even though a big staging chinook will likely fight better pound-for-pound than most other fish on the face earth.

It's a term that elitist steelheaders created to separate themselves from the hordes of snag-happy idiots that come out when the salmon run starts, even though a big staging chinook will likely fight better pound-for-pound than most other fish on the face earth.

Agreed... In B.C. staging and river-run chinooks have all the respect in the world..

We are lucky to have them here in Ontario

Nice catch, by the way.. upper 20s?

Wait, who's complaining about boots again? I love fishing for them in the estuary water when they are staging, puts a steelhead to shame with the way they fight. Now if you're ganking them in the back while they are in 3ft of water, that's a different story. Great way to spend a fall evening if you ask me.

Wait, who's complaining about boots again? I love fishing for them in the estuary water when they are staging, puts a steelhead to shame with the way they fight. Now if you're ganking them in the back while they are in 3ft of water, that's a different story. Great way to spend a fall evening if you ask me.

Agreed! I was speaking more about the breed of steelheaders that will gawk at you for simply targetting a salmon or wearing less than $1500 worth of gear. I wish I was being hyperbolic. :wallbash:

Have only done that once and it was a great way to spend a fall evening. Nice to have the elbow room in the boat and catching some big fish. Nice fish Bill.

The comparison of casting for and catching staging salmon (particularly early staging salmon) on bass gear vs trolling up silvery Chinnooks on trolling gear out in the lake is night and day. One is so boring that anglers have to be enticed with cash to do it and the other offers such an exciting fishing outing that guys stay up all night to do it. No comparison IMO.

Nice mudshark!

Today's rain will obviously push the dark chinnies upstream to spawn / get snagged. But it will also bring more, fresher fish into the river mouth. Like broonies and cohos and rainbows - oh my! :-)

I wouldn't mind a run-in with a few fresh coho's!

Nice mudshark!

Today's rain will obviously push the dark chinnies upstream to spawn / get snagged. But it will also bring more, fresher fish into the river mouth. Like broonies and cohos and rainbows - oh my! :-)

Very true Craig, too bad everything stops running in November, remember. :whistling:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the cohos, Snidley. They obviously don't have the body mass of a chinook going for them, but I love the way cohos jump. The way they just massacre crankbaits (Shad Raps in particular) is also a big plus in my books. I've always felt they were a ton of fun out in the lake on a bass rod - right up till November, when everything stops running :-)

Edited by Craig_Ritchie