Cold front

lickmyarmpit

Most times I'm fishing the same way I normally do. I only slow down my presentations if I'm not getting bit.

Water temps are 59 here and I'm still hitting bass/pike on topwaters fished really fast thumbsup_anim.gif

It was dead hot last week, water temps around 73-75. We had a big cold front (calling for frost tonight), and it dropped the water temps real fast.

I spose it depends on what/where your fishing, but to me, this means a real good bass bite, with all the big girls coming out to play!!!!

water temps around 55 mean shiner run around here, and that gets me excited!!!! Thats when all the walleye migrate back into the river, woohoooo!

Edited by manitoubass2

2 ways to look at it... In my opinion...

First 2-3-4 days of cold is a cold front... Wich shuts fish down.. Somewhere during day 4-5-6 I call it a cooling trend... And they start feeding up... Otherwise the next 3 months would be considered a cold front...

But during the first few days of cold it helps to slow down... And Downsize your lures.... Maybe even slip a bit deeper where temps are more stable... But be ready for the bite to come back strong.... Cause now they wanna start getting fat for winter....

2 ways to look at it... In my opinion...

First 2-3-4 days of cold is a cold front... Wich shuts fish down.. Somewhere during day 4-5-6 I call it a cooling trend... And they start feeding up... Otherwise the next 3 months would be considered a cold front...

But during the first few days of cold it helps to slow down... And Downsize your lures.... Maybe even slip a bit deeper where temps are more stable... But be ready for the bite to come back strong.... Cause now they wanna start getting fat for winter....

Yep, great point Mike!

When I'm looking for cold front walleye, I actually like to deadstick large minnows most of the time. If your on em, they will still bite, it's just not an aggressive bite

Well I don,t know about the fish , but I'm stoked about this cool weather movin in .

I gotta ride my stupid bicycle a good 12k each way up 'n down some pretty nasty hills to get to my spots .

Its gonna be awsome getting there without a sweat drenched shirt for once . Also happened across a bunch of my good homemade lures today that i had misplaced and forgot about , so I'm lookin forward to fishing this weekend .

...I get skunked

:clapping::w00t:

Not a huge fan of cold fronts overall, but will say that in the past there have been some days that the really BIG fish have come first day/hours of that cold front hitting. Lakers through the ice, bigger spring walleye and specks many times over seem to be good cold front fish for me. Pike and bass, not generally.

What to do... fish as usual and/or slow down the same techniques you have confidence in. Adding some live bait helps too.

When I fish a cold front, I do a few things different. Slowing down is good but that's only part of it. I generally abandon horizontal presentations and fish vertically. This forces me to pin point structure and fish it slower. I also move out slightly deeper and start searching for active fish. Deeper fish seem to be lest affected by fronts. I will scale down the size of my baits but not right away. I let the fish decide that...I still think bigger fish prefer(usually)larger baits. If I'm marking fish but can't get them to go, I'll downsize. I will also look for water with close access to much deeper water.

When the fall rolls around and the water naturally cools, I upsize my baits. Bigger worms, spinnerbaits and body baits. Darker colours seem to work much better for me though I can't say way. I still slow the baits down slightly compared to the warm summer bite. The fall feedbag is awesome!

I kept the same size lure, slow it down to a crawl and I go deep. Was out today switched up my normal summer depth and went down a lot deeper and when I found the magic depth I smashed them hard....even did a double with a large pike who wanted my bass :clapping: Weather was cold and rainy on the lake with lines of showers going thru I was guiding today and knew it was going to be a challenge, but as soon as I changed to my fall patern we had a blast, guy in the boat with me had never fished bass and we ended up getting him a 4 pound smallie. To say the least he was a happy man..

Edited by UglyBug