muskies at night

Rizzo

all seasons

it's just tougher more dangerous in the cold, not only are you battling the temps - you can't see poop.

Muskies at night is a two man job. Just get used to keeping all your gear in exactly the same place all the time. Never keep baits strewn about the boat....put them away after they're used. Baits look nice hanging on bulkheads for everyone to see but if you lose your footing for some reason, you can put yourself in a lot of trouble...not to mention the pain.

Muskies at night is a two man job. Just get used to keeping all your gear in exactly the same place all the time. Never keep baits strewn about the boat....put them away after they're used. Baits look nice hanging on bulkheads for everyone to see but if you lose your footing for some reason, you can put yourself in a lot of trouble...not to mention the pain.

That is a very good idea. I was out this past weekend on Erie and we stayed out and while it was dark I stepped on a hook and in it went lol.

I will keep that in mind anytime I out after dark now lol.

During late fall, many big muskies have been caught by die hard musky anglers during the dusk period, when theres been relatively little activity thruout the day, this is especially true on the big great lakes fish, and the tributaries that flow into it. Saftey is of upmost concern, and as Roy mentioned a 2 man job, especially on big water

You've summed up our summer tactics...as it started to get dark, we packed everything up and stowed it away - extra rods, tackle etc. We really simplified, and we chose a lure we stuck with it rather than changing every couple of minutes as we are prone to do during the day. I'm glad to hear it works all seasons. Not sure if I'll get out at night (haven't since July) but its nice to know its an option. I think the temps will be an issue. Usually by late afternoon we are done!

Some reasons why some people fish at night in the summer:

It's too hot for fishermen, and fish, in the middle of the day.

Too much boat traffic, both from fishermen and non-fishermen.

More people on holidays (see above) willing to be a little sleep deprived while on vacation 'cause they can nap while the water skiers are out.

Once fall comes around those issues go a way so there are less reasons to fish at night.

Edited by kickingfrog

Muskies stay active after dark right thru the entire season Roger and you'll get as many in late fall as you will in early June.

Keep your baits big and black and move them slow, but even slower in colder water. Large spinnerbaits with big silver Colorado blades are your best bet as they'll hold the slow moving baits up higher and they also give off lotsa thump. Big 10" wobblers like jointed Believers or Jakes are also excellent but keep them slow too.

You'll find alot of your night time hits will come right at boatside as soon as you start your figure 8 so be sure to do it every cast.

Muskies like very shallow water after dark all season long, and if you can find pencil reeds still growing that's a great place to start. If there's big rocks or stumps mixed in it's even better.

Don't be afraid to go in extremely shallow, we get plenty of fish in as little as 12" of water including bigger fish. I've got at least a couple 50 inchers in less than a foot of water.

As Roy said, keep the boat clean and know exactly where all your tools are at all times and always keep everything in the same place so you can grab it without looking.

I like a headlamp myself but I only turn it on after the fish is hooked.

Night time muskies are 100 times more fun to catch than daytime fish but it's also much more dangerous, but if you pay attention to what's happening around you, your gonna have a blast.

Just remember though, tools are much harder to work with gloves on and if you get a big hook thru the glove and then into your hand you'll have a real problem so take the gloves off before you stick your hand into the net.

And if you have followers in the daytime that won't commit, mark em on the GPS and come back after dark and there's an excellent chance you'll get em, spring summer or fall.

Muskies stay active after dark right thru the entire season Roger and you'll get as many in late fall as you will in early June.

Keep your baits big and black and move them slow, but even slower in colder water. Large spinnerbaits with big silver Colorado blades are your best bet as they'll hold the slow moving baits up higher and they also give off lotsa thump. Big 10" wobblers like jointed Believers or Jakes are also excellent but keep them slow too.

You'll find alot of your night time hits will come right at boatside as soon as you start your figure 8 so be sure to do it every cast.

Muskies like very shallow water after dark all season long, and if you can find pencil reeds still growing that's a great place to start. If there's big rocks or stumps mixed in it's even better.

Don't be afraid to go in extremely shallow, we get plenty of fish in as little as 12" of water including bigger fish. I've got at least a couple 50 inchers in less than a foot of water.

As Roy said, keep the boat clean and know exactly where all your tools are at all times and always keep everything in the same place so you can grab it without looking.

I like a headlamp myself but I only turn it on after the fish is hooked.

Night time muskies are 100 times more fun to catch than daytime fish but it's also much more dangerous, but if you pay attention to what's happening around you, your gonna have a blast.

Just remember though, tools are much harder to work with gloves on and if you get a big hook thru the glove and then into your hand you'll have a real problem so take the gloves off before you stick your hand into the net.

And if you have followers in the daytime that won't commit, mark em on the GPS and come back after dark and there's an excellent chance you'll get em, spring summer or fall.

Now you guys have got my curiousity going even more so after reading your reply Lew!! :good: ....I live on the Ottawa River and have never stayed out past sunset.....I have a well lit dock with floodlights and even our waterfront is lit up...

I am going to give it a try at the end of this month during the full moon phase. I plan on attaching a mag light to the handle of my net and I will definately wear a headlamp..

This is a good topic!! Thanks

I live on the Ottawa River and have never stayed out past sunset.....

That hour or 2 after sunset is some of the best musky fishing you'll ever have Steve, infact it can be really amazing.

And another fantastic time for muskies is when the sun 1st breaks over the horizon on a cloudless morning. That sudden burst of light is just like a trigger for the fish but the window doesn't last too long so you have to be on a known spot when it happens.

That hour or 2 after sunset is some of the best musky fishing you'll ever have Steve, infact it can be really amazing.

And another fantastic time for muskies is when the sun 1st breaks over the horizon on a cloudless morning. That sudden burst of light is just like a trigger for the fish but the window doesn't last too long so you have to be on a known spot when it happens.

Thanks bud!....I'll give it a try and let you know! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys. We do a 2 day trip on late October...might have to give it a try! I'm glad to hear the first couple of hours seem to be the best. We took a week at Pigeon this summer, and me and my buddy would only stay out for an hour or so after dark because the wimmin were waiting back at the cabins...kind of a 7:30 to 10:30 thing each night (darkness starting at 9:30). Sounds like we were out there at prime time (and we did have some success)